HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jets claim Brett MacLean from Phoenix

Old
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
This is a very good move by the Jets and they I beleieve they will do well in Making Brett MacLean the best he can be. Best of luck to him and the Jets.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Hawerchuk had his MacLean and now Scheifele has his!!!!!!

I'd expect him to get a chance with Sheif and Kane or with Burmistrov and Antropov.

Low risk high reward type of move. IF not for this claim, Bodie might have been signed to a contract.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The reason I'm excited is because if there's one thing the Jets ownership know how to do, it's scout and develop talent. Their background is owning/managing/coaching a team in a developmental league, where their teams put up good records every year.

If they think MacLean has the potential to make it in the NHL, I believe them.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
Don't know why Bryan Murray didn't claim him, we have more than enough forwards but this guy could be worth it.
I would have liked to see the Sens grab him, but we're in a position where most of our team is young already, so if Murray likes "his guys", at the VERY LEAST the Sens will be giving icetime to OUR young players. MacLean might have cut into another young player's development time simply because our team is all youth this year, so MacLean might have just been a lateral move.

I mean, we've got Condra, Smith, Greening, Butler, Regin, DaCosta, Zibanejad as young forwards on our team right now, who could all be legit consistent performers for us.

I mean, at least we're trying to develop our own young guys.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm happy for untouchable who really wanted this.

I wish MacLean the best.

I'm not really upset as a Coyotes fan. 2nd round picks convert at a pretty low rate, and MacLean still has a long, long way to go before Phoenix actually regrets doing this.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I knew the guy would be claimed; just depended on which team...I thought for sure the Islanders would have taken a flyer on MacLean considering his history with Tavares, but they're pretty stacked with young wingers.

Only thing I'll say about the Grabner comparisons, MacLean has nowhere near that sort of speed; Grabner always had elite NHL speed, and looked like he was ready to break-out prior to leaving the Canucks.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Really good move by the Jets, can't lose with this one.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm happy for untouchable who really wanted this.

I wish MacLean the best.

I'm not really upset as a Coyotes fan. 2nd round picks convert at a pretty low rate, and MacLean still has a long, long way to go before Phoenix actually regrets doing this.
I get what you're saying but we just have to hope that Maloney can continue to find veteran 15-20 goal scorers out there as there is NOBODY in the pipeline that can score very many.

I read someone suggest the Yotes should just trade their picks for vets since that is the way they've chosen to go at least with the coaching staff in place now. I almost agree, at least anything outside of the first round. Of course, then they wouldn't have Yandle. And...

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
flamesfan5

Great pick up, I hope he does big things this year.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

With lack of goal scorers in the Winnipeg line-up, it's now up to MacLean to make the most of this opportunity. Expectations need to be realistic though.

He does not have Grabner's speed, but as a goal scorer, he knows where to go and what to do with the puck. Developing some chemistry with Scheif and Kane or Burmistrov will be key for him.

I'll be pleased if he scores 15.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
You just can't afford, as a team with a self-imposed (league-imposed) cap and limited resources, to give up on a young player who has shown at every stage that he is developing well and being patient with the organization's demands because he had a bad 3 weeks, and give the roster spot to an older player who was slightly better than the prospect, but with the caveat that the older player has already reached his ceiling. It's just bad business.
You don't understand. We had to keep spaces open for our core players like Nokelainen, Chipchura, Bissonette and Patrick O'Sullivan. When you have depth like that, a prospect like Maclean is expendable.

I hope the kid tears it up in Winnipeg.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Elever
Hth

Dave Tippet strikes again!

Nicely done, I'm sure Kyle Chipchura's potential is much higher than MacLean's lol.

I was watching the Bdker-Turris-MacLean line while they were briefly together last season. I thought hey, at least Phx has some offensive future with these three after Doan retires/fades. But they managed to screw that up.

Waiving Zach Hamill or Brule is a different thing, I understand it, but waiving MacLean who seems to be following the good trajectory for a prospect is a bit sad. Glad he went to the Jets at least, they'll probably use him much better anyways and give him a shot at the actual team at some point.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
German Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I would have liked to see the Sens grab him, but we're in a position where most of our team is young already, so if Murray likes "his guys", at the VERY LEAST the Sens will be giving icetime to OUR young players. MacLean might have cut into another young player's development time simply because our team is all youth this year, so MacLean might have just been a lateral move.

I mean, we've got Condra, Smith, Greening, Butler, Regin, DaCosta, Zibanejad as young forwards on our team right now, who could all be legit consistent performers for us.

I mean, at least we're trying to develop our own young guys.
You forgot Filatov. But you are right. There was just no room for him. We have enough young players on our roster, especially at the wings.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Be happy jets fan. seriously.
The guy was NHL ready when he played in the O. No idea why PHX sat him in the AHL for so long.

People better not be surprised if he has a break out year. Its quiet expected tbh.

I have been following him a bit (stats wise) and never realized how he didnt jump right to the NHL. He consistently put up numbers in every league.

Not sure if he has changed since Oshawa, but he had a nose for the net....very intelligent player and used his size effectively.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
goyotes

Phoenix will regret waiving him.

I think he will be a nice piece of the Jet's forward lines. Congrats Jets. I think this kid has potential to hit 20 goals this year in the NHL. And, his playmaking has improved as has his skating (which is still not great but much better than 2 or 3 years ago).

Maybe he scores a few against the Coyotes at the Coyotes home opener. I am pulling for this kid.

goyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
drewski1988

This is an outstanding pickup by the Jets. As I live in St. John's, I hope he gets sent down anyway for a few games with the Ice Caps so I can see him play!

drewski1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Horrible move by the Coyotes.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy12 View Post
This is an outstanding pickup by the Jets. As I live in St. John's, I hope he gets sent down anyway for a few games with the Ice Caps so I can see him play!
If the Jets try and waive him, he'll be Phoenix property if he makes it past every team.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy12 View Post
If he gets sent down, Phoenix can reclaim him (or other teams that had a claim on him). The entire purpose of waivers is to prevent NHL-capable players from being buried in the minors. It's not to intercept other teams' minor-leaguers to bolster your own team's minor league affiliate.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
I think it's our current injury situation and lack of depth on the wing that has allowed this to happen. As it stands with Fehr and Maxwell injured, and Cormier eligible for the AHL, Maclean has a chance to play a good number of games in the NHL to showcase his stuff.

Once Fehr and Maxwell are healthy, the organization can make their decision to keep Maclean, or to go another way.

It looks like a low risk, medium to high reward type situation.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
that's awesome, still potential to be witnessed.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Flat Stanley

From the former Winnipeg Jets organization to the new one.

Nice pick up by the Jets.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
There's a chance he might play with Kane and Scheifele on the second line. All the alternatives (Fehr, Maxwell and Stapleton) are injured.
Stapleton was NEVER an alternative to play on that line...and the Jets are gonna roll with a 2a/2b situation with Kane-Scheifele and Burmistrov-Antropov pairings needing one more winger each and Wellwood was kicking around. Maxwell/Cormier were the leading contenders for that open spot in the top 9 MacLean now will get. Solid solid pickup.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
If he gets sent down, Phoenix can reclaim him (or other teams that had a claim on him). The entire purpose of waivers is to prevent NHL-capable players from being buried in the minors. It's not to intercept other teams' minor-leaguers to bolster your own team's minor league affiliate.
If he gets waived again any team can claim him, not just the ones that put in a claim the first time.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
If he gets waived again any team can claim him, not just the ones that put in a claim the first time.
My bad. It's if they were to try to trade him that they'd have to offer him back to the waiving team and other would-be waiver claimants first.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote