Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets claim Brett MacLean

Old
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Waldo

vCash: 500
We need to thank GM Don Maoloney (refered to by all as GMDM) for paying the development costs for us for the last 3 years.

So if Scheifele scores 25 goals and Mac scores 25, then we are playoff bound. Fantasy or reality?

Waldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
There's no denying he has a knack for scoring goals, and he may mature and grow in other areas of the game, but it's 50/50 at this point that he ever becomes an everyday NHL player. The same questions that dogged him in junior (speed, inflated stats playing with Tavares etc.) remain unanswered.
Of course they remain unanswered... he only received his first crack at the NHL late last season in his 13 game stint! And from all accounts, he held his own. But the fact of the matter is, he's only 22 years old... and if Tavares "inflated" his stats in junior, then who inflated his stats in the AHL?

This is a great pickup by the Jets. MacLean has proved in the AHL he deserves a legitimate shot in the NHL... and just because he had a poor training camp doesn't mean you should just waive a player of his talent... especially when it's at the expense of Patrick O'Sullivan.

Camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymr66 View Post
i have a question. if maclean and scheifele both stick around and are productive nhl players by the time fehr comes back, what do we do with fehr? it looks like we're running out of roster spots for forwards. cormier will probably have to go down and i thought we could've really used his physical style of play on the third line. any thoughts or should we just cross that bridge when we come to it? where all of a sudden does wellwood fit into the team?
It's a nice problem to have. I'd guess Stapes, Cormier, and Maxwell are all on the chopping block.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jerks.

-Portland Pirates fan

Seriously though, any guys on IR that could force him off the roster and back onto waivers down the road?

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Here is the write-up from HockeysFuture:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brett_maclean

He's ranked as a 7.5 C prospect, which ties him for top prospect in our organization (tied with Scheifele, who is also listed as 7.5 C)

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It's a nice problem to have. I'd guess Stapes, Cormier, and Maxwell are all on the chopping block.
Quote:
saraorlesky Sara Orlesky
Winnipeg Jets have sent Patrice Cormier down to the St.John's IceCaps
Interesting.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I've been predicting for a while that Cormier would get sent to STJ.

As good as he's been, a full season in the AHL as the IceCaps' #1 C is probably the best thing for him.

With MacLean being a natural LW, he'll probably join Burmistrov on the 3rd line.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Interesting.
Good move. I think Cormier can become one of the better 3rd/4th liners in the league, but he needs a lot of seasoning. He hasn't played much over the last 2 years due to suspensions and injuries.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Good move. I think Cormier can become one of the better 3rd/4th liners in the league, but he needs a lot of seasoning. He hasn't played much over the last 2 years due to suspensions and injuries.
Agreed.

Time in the A will serve him quite well.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
Interesting indeed. I guess they figure Cormier would benefit from more time in the AHL, but I figured he'd be a decent contributor on the 3rd line.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
Of course they remain unanswered... he only received his first crack at the NHL late last season in his 13 game stint! And from all accounts, he held his own. But the fact of the matter is, he's only 22 years old... and if Tavares "inflated" his stats in junior, then who inflated his stats in the AHL?

This is a great pickup by the Jets. MacLean has proved in the AHL he deserves a legitimate shot in the NHL... and just because he had a poor training camp doesn't mean you should just waive a player of his talent... especially when it's at the expense of Patrick O'Sullivan.
His first crack? He's been to three successive training camps by my count, and hasn't stuck around on a team deprived of scoring talent--literally an ideal scenario for a so-called offensive guy. His on-ice mannerisms and practice compete-level do him no favours. I hope to be wrong, but I think he's more likely to be a career AHL scorer, like a Jason Krog for example, than a 30 goal guy in the big leagues.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
His first crack? He's been to three successive training camps by my count, and hasn't stuck around on a team deprived of scoring talent--literally an ideal scenario for a so-called offensive guy. His on-ice mannerisms and practice compete-level do him no favours. I hope to be wrong, but I think he's more likely to be a career AHL scorer, like a Jason Krog for example, than a 30 goal guy in the big leagues.
The other way to look at is they the Yotes or their coach Tippet is really poor at developing young talented forwards

Turris
Boedker
Tikonov
Maclean
Mueller

That is alot of 1st and 2nd round picks that have failed or are failing there

No Wonder they want out

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

MacLean is apparently on Twitter, but hasn't tweeted about being claimed yet.

https://twitter.com/#!/mackattack_39

Old
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Camden

Quote:
Yes, his first crack... he played in 13 games last season in the NHL. Am I missing other seasons where he played in the NHL?

So, you're trying to say just because he doesn't have an extraordinary camp, means he shouldn't at least receive a legitimate shot in the NHL? As a 20 year old in the AHL he scored 30 goals... wasn't good enough to warrant a late season callup? Last season he had 50 points in 51 games and when he did get called up he only received 8 minutes of icetime! How much can you tell of a young kid in just 8 minutes? And, like I said, from all accounts... he performed well, even in such little icetime.

If just because he doesn't have great training camps does not warrant a player of his talent to be waived. We all know how a player performs in a training camp is how they will perform in a regular season...

... but then again, Patrick O'Sullivan just had a great training camp. I guess a breakout season is in order there?

Point is, MacLean's produced at every level in which he proved he just wasn't Tavares "shadow" with his output in the AHL. Plus, he's still only 22 years old and you're trying to write him off... yet you're writing him off when he hasn't yet had a poor season. Even his showing in NHL was considered by many to be very "encouraging." How does that make sense? What basis are you arguing on? Nothing!

So, what... a young player like MacLean didn't succeed in a Dave Tippett system? heh MacLean should take a number as there's a long line there.

Last edited by Camden: 10-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
The other way to look at is they the Yotes or their coach Tippet is really poor at developing young talented forwards

Turris
Boedker
Tikonov
Maclean
Mueller

That is alot of 1st and 2nd round picks that have failed or are failing there

No Wonder they want out
Loui Eriksson would also like to join that line. Heck, even Ekman-Larsson, with all the talent he has (and being rated as arguably one of, if not the best defense prospect in the entire) has not broke out yet as expected.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Rheged
JMFT

So what do the forwards look like now?

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Maclean/Wellwood
Wellwood/Maclean-Burmistrov-Antropov
Thorburn-Slater-Glass

Fehr slotting into one of line's 2/3 when he's healthy again?

Rheged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
So what do the forwards look like now?

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Maclean/Wellwood
Wellwood/Maclean-Burmistrov-Antropov
Thorburn-Slater-Glass

Fehr slotting into one of line's 2/3 when he's healthy again?
Could line up like this:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - MacLean
Wellwood - Burmistrov - Antropov
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Maxwell

Once Fehr's reactivated maybe Maxwell can be sent down to the AHL. At that point there's potentially a difficult decision to be made regarding who gets scratched from the line up night to night.

At the beginning of the summer I was concerned that the Jets were going to be forced to play prospects before they were ready because they lacked depth all over the place. Even on defence before training camp opened there was Postma and Kulda around, but there could be arguments made that neither was capable of playing in the NHL just yet. At this point I'm very pleased with how much depth this team has managed to gather over the summer, and I think we can be content with the knowledge that our prospects aren't going to be rushed before management believes that they are ready for the NHL.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

I'd rather have Wellwood on the second line and MacLean on the third line. MacLean is a natural LW and I think he'd fit better with Burmi.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Aries56

GREAT Pick up. He was one of Phoenix's better prospects.

Heard a story that he demanded a trade from Phoenix, but Phoenix couldn't put anything together. So they put him on waivers.

Very pleased with this move.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
miscbanjoinc

Here's my shot at lineups:

Pre-Fehr Era (or Pre-Ferha if you like)

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Wellwood
MacLean - Burmistrov - Antropov
xtras: Stapleton, *Fehr

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey
xtras: Jones, Meech

The Fehr Era (Fehra)

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Fehr
xtras: Wellwood, Slater

Entrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey
Jones

miscbanjoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Awesome pick up, looking forward to see what he can do.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbanjoinc View Post

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
xtras: Stapleton, *Fehr

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey

The Fehr Era (Fehra)

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Fehr
xtras: Wellwood, Slater

Entrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey
Jones
Totally agree with the lines.

The line up when Fehr returns is going to be pretty damn good.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
No, the player can be send to the AHL.

However, he'll be subject to waivers again and other teams can claim him the way we did.

And if Phoenix claims him, they'll be able to send him to their AHL team without subjecting him to waivers again.
I need a CBA expert, but I am 99% that this is not entirely accurate. Ok, yes he can be placed back on waivers and sent down, for sure. But let's say in a month WPG puts him back on waivers and PHO, SJS, and WSH all put in a claim (just throwing teams out there). Now it would he would naturally go to the team who is the lowest, in this case let's say it's Phoenix. However, since both SJS and WSH put in claims as well, PHO cannot reassign him to AHL without first offering him to the teams who also put in a claim. If PHO is the only team to put in a claim, then yes they would be free to reassign him down without having to clear waivers again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Could line up like this:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - MacLean
Wellwood - Burmistrov - Antropov
Maxwell

Once Fehr's reactivated maybe Maxwell can be sent down to the AHL. At that point there's potentially a difficult decision to be made regarding who gets scratched from the line up night to night.

At the beginning of the summer I was concerned that the Jets were going to be forced to play prospects before they were ready because they lacked depth all over the place. Even on defence before training camp opened there was Postma and Kulda around, but there could be arguments made that neither was capable of playing in the NHL just yet. At this point I'm very pleased with how much depth this team has managed to gather over the summer, and I think we can be content with the knowledge that our prospects aren't going to be rushed before management believes that they are ready for the NHL.
This let's not rush prospects might be going a little far the other way. Eventually they do have to break some guys in, and especially in the case of Postma/Kulda these guys have lots and lots of AHL experience already. There was no need to add another defenseman, especially an AHL calibre one on a one-way contract. I saw no reason not to let depth guys Festerling/Meech battle prospects Postma/Kulda for a spot, without adding crappy useless veterans. Same thing up front. Glass adds nothing from a hockey perspective. He has good "intangibles" but he is not a good hockey player, he is a terrible hockey player. There is absolutely no need for him to play everyday at all. Woulda been better off leaving that spot for a true battle with Cormier/Machacek/Stapleton/McArdle. I do not mind the Wellwood signing, but especially if we had had Rypien, there is just too many 4th/borderline 3rd liners with no upside. I am not talking about handing kids spots, but rather letting them battle some borderline vets with no upsdide we already had (Festerling/Meech/Stapleton/McArdle) and each other for limited number of spots. To be fair, Scheifele playing as well as has has made the forward battle more intense.

Anyways, this was a fantastic waiver wire pickup, the guy has tons of offensive upside. I think he will look great on either Scheifele or Burmistrov's wing, a true goalscorer for our playmaking centers. This guy has been among PHO top prospects for years, he is a really talented player and I am not sure why an offense starved PHO never wanted to give him a chance.

Also, I know people are just throwing lineups out there, but let's wait and see what happens before we talk about Maxwell going back, this or that happening when Fehr returns. A month is a long time, alot might change in that time. Scheifele might go back (unlikely but still possible), injuries happen, maybe somebody isn't working, we are running a relatively soft roster, a banger like Cormier or maybe Machacek(not sure if he is super physical but does seem to have size and decent forechecker) is called up to help out, etc...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbanjoinc View Post

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
xtras: Maxwell, *Fehr

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey

The Fehr Era (Fehra)

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Fehr
xtras: Wellwood,Maxwell

Entrom - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Oduya - Hainsey
Jones
Totally agree with these lines. (Except for what I changed in bold)

Plus we will have Cormier, Machacek, Gregoire, Maxwell, Klingberg, Postma, Festerling, and Kulda pushing for callups and filling in for injuries.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:58 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
No, the player can be send to the AHL.

However, he'll be subject to waivers again and other teams can claim him the way we did.

And if Phoenix claims him, they'll be able to send him to their AHL team without subjecting him to waivers again.

Would he have to clear waivers to go to the AHL? I'm pretty sure he hasn't met the game requirements to qualify for having to go onto waivers. The Coyotes just put him there to get rid of him.

I'm thinking he's going to St. Johns.

Last edited by cheswick: 10-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote