HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres hire Benson as chief development officer

Old
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Sabres hire Benson as chief development officer

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-officer.html

Quote:
"I am so glad Cliff finally decided to join us in a more formal capacity," team President Ted Black said. "Cliff is a close friend to [owner] Terry [Pegula] and me, and he was the one who introduced the two of us. Together we look forward to doing great things to leave a positive and lasting impact on our region."

"I look forward to working with Mayor Brown, city and county officials, community and business leaders to find ways to bring opportunities to Buffalo," Benson said
. “Most of all, my wife Cheryl and I are thrilled to be a part of the great group of folks at the Sabres organization, led by Ted Black and Terry.”
Interesting.

I guess Terry has bigger plans than just retooling the Sabres.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 520
Man, these guys (Black and Pegula) are covering EVERY angle with the players, management, image, community, etc.

I just... I just... is this real life?

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-officer.html

Interesting.

I guess Terry has bigger plans than just retooling the Sabres.
I read that. Don't know anything about him, but if they have any additional positive footprint on this community beyond the Sabres organization, it would be great.

It is like Terry wants to pull the region up by the bootstraps and seems willing to put his money where his mouth is. He might just have the influence to overcome some partisan BS and get something done. Excited about just the possibility.

Maybe Benson should be added to the Canalside Board?

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Kruschiki

I don't get this role. Seems to be cut from the Larry Quinn cloth.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I read that. Don't know anything about him, but if they have any additional positive footprint on this community beyond the Sabres organization, it would be great.

It is like Terry wants to pull the region up by the bootstraps and seems willing to put his money where his mouth is. He might just have the influence to overcome some partisan BS and get something done. Excited about just the possibility.

Maybe Benson should be added to the Canalside Board?
I would not be surprised to see Terry and Kim do something in the future on the waterfront. IMO it would help the Sabres.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
I guess I'm curious as to how it directly relates to the Sabres. My only guess would be that his role would be working with government and local businesses to bring in and/or develop junior level leagues and organizations.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
In what way? The title itself or the role it will play? I get the vibe that its more about being a good corporate citizen than anything else. But the vison, attitude and personality of Pegula as well as that of Benson will determine how much alike or unlike Quinn this will be.

Quinn wore more hats in the Sabres organization than Benson will. He was a minority owner, Team President and its reasonable to say meddling GM. But more importantly how Quinn was as a person and how he handled these roles is why he became so disliked in many quarters.

These things can be catalysts for good or bad. Its usually the personalites involved that determine which one.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old
10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

On Sabres.com, his role with Pittsburgh was to be involved in the community, particularly with impoverished kids, giving them opportunities they otherwise would not have. One item was an equivalent of Hasek's Heros. It seems his role might be more "broad" here.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I love Benson!

or did you mean a different guy?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

according to buffalo rising, the sabres are interested in purchasing this property. http://www.buffalorising.com/2011/10...o-to-jail.html

it would be nice to know what they intended to do with it.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
puckish66

It'll be interesting to see if the Sabres stray from Ted Black's characterization of the franchise's role in community development, which he put something like, "If the community scores a goal, we'll be happy to get an assist."

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
In what way? The title itself or the role it will play? I get the vibe that its more about being a good corporate citizen than anything else. But the vison, attitude and personality of Pegula as well as that of Benson will determine how much alike or unlike Quinn this will be.

Quinn wore more hats in the Sabres organization than Benson will. He was a minority owner, Team President and its reasonable to say meddling GM. But more importantly how Quinn was as a person and how he handled these roles is why he became so disliked in many quarters.

These things can be catalysts for good or bad. Its usually the personalites involved that determine which one.
I don't see why the Sabres need someone with a development background in the organization unless they are trying to get something big built.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the Sabres stray from Ted Black's characterization of the franchise's role in community development, which he put something like, "If the community scores a goal, we'll be happy to get an assist."
That quote/sentiment you're attributing to Black is so vague and can be interpreted in various ways. Unless you have more info to share on his comments to flesh out what he (by extension Pegula) means. All we can do is speculate as to the meaning of that sentiment. Thus making it awfully tough to know when or if they are straying from them.

Old
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I don't see why the Sabres need someone with a development background in the organization unless they are trying to get something big built.
Why does it have to be something big? They could be involved with all sorts of small projects that help the area. Something like the potential Canisius rink as an example. It's primarily for the Sabres but many youth hockey organizations will benefit from a new facility that provides desperately needed ice time.

They may get involve in things like that or smaller. Projects that diffinately fall under having a lasting impact. They want someone to coordinate those efforts.

Old
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

My view is quite simple: TPegs, as well as Big Daddy Ted, realize they are having a lot of fun and spending a lot of time, especially on the road, trying to win the first of several Cups. They simply want a like-minded, trustworthy friend as a liasion with the Buffalo business community and political machine, regardless of whether their interests / those activities are purely philanthropic, business-development-for-economic-gain, or the full spectrum in between. They simply formalized an informal relationship, and publicized it. Happens all the time in corporations with signficant presence in major cities across the USA.

Last edited by brian_griffin: 10-12-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: basically, what joshjull said.
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:09 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

it would be interesting to see the sabres develop the area around the arena a bit.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
puckish66

Quote:
That quote/sentiment you're attributing to Black is so vague and can be interpreted in various ways. Unless you have more info to share on his comments to flesh out what he (by extension Pegula) means. All we can do is speculate as to the meaning of that sentiment. Thus making it awfully tough to know when or if they are straying from them.
"Are we going to take the lead on real estate development? It's not my background, it's not my expertise," Black said. "If something's going to happen down there, to use a hockey metaphor, if somebody gets a goal and we can get a second assist and we all get points and it helps Buffalo, we're in favor of it.

"I don't see us taking the lead on developing or insisting it's a certain way, but we certainly want to be ingrained members of the community."

--Ted Black, February 22, Source: Buffalo News

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I gather he's the lead guy for bringing tournaments and other events to Buffalo that use the arena and impact the area. I hope the Empire State Games is on their radar. It's disgraceful that it's been canceled 2 out of the last 3 years. I'd love to see the Sabres and First Niagara resurrect the games and make Buffalo their permanent home.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article255698.ece

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:20 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I love Benson!

or did you mean a different guy?
I love it !!

To bad 80% of the posters ain't got a clue who the hell he is (w/o googling)

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
according to buffalo rising, the sabres are interested in purchasing this property. http://www.buffalorising.com/2011/10...o-to-jail.html

That's right next to the parking ramp. Could be another parking ramp, maybe something else but I don't know what.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
"Are we going to take the lead on real estate development? It's not my background, it's not my expertise," Black said. "If something's going to happen down there, to use a hockey metaphor, if somebody gets a goal and we can get a second assist and we all get points and it helps Buffalo, we're in favor of it.

"I don't see us taking the lead on developing or insisting it's a certain way, but we certainly want to be ingrained members of the community."

--Ted Black, February 22, Source: Buffalo News

The bolded seems like a pretty good explaination of their postion at that time.

Thanks for the follow up post and fleshing out his point.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post

I'm guessing their interest is probably about making the area around the arena look nicer and safer. That place is an eyesore as well as a dangerous vacant structure. But of course our local obstrustionist..err.. I mean preservationists are preventing demo (at least for now) in the courts.

Maybe the Sabres can kill two birds with one stone. Take it off the hands of its current owner then rehab it to make the preservationists happy.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.