HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Crosby rejects $7.5M WHA offer

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2004, 09:38 AM
  #26
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
As far as someone hating Crosby, it's just as perplexing as worshipping him like some do.

Chaos is online now  
Old
08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
  #27
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Why the hell does everyone hate the WHA? Aren't we supposed to be hockey fans, not just fans of the NHL?

As far as someone hating Crosby, it's just as perplexing as worshipping him like some do.
Because the WHA, is a joke and a blemish on hockey in general.

Having drafts with no GM's or arenas.
Hamilton offering a contract to Crosby even though Toronto drafted him.

The whole thing is a big joke, I hope it will fail, hell I know it will fail so this is a waste of typing.


Last edited by mikefavata: 08-26-2004 at 12:17 PM.
mikefavata is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 10:58 AM
  #28
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
Because the WHA, is a joke and a blemish on hockey in general.

Having drafts with no GM's or arenas.
Halifax offering a contract to Crosby even though Toronto drafted him.

The whole thing is a big joke, I hope it will fail, hell I know it will fail so this is a waste of typing.
First, Hamilton offered a contract, second Toronto's franchise folded...

Prendan Brust is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
  #29
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
First, Hamilton offered a contract, second Toronto's franchise folded...
Whoops, meant Hamilton. So what franchise's are left?

mikefavata is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 12:35 PM
  #30
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
I dont really care, I hate Crosby. Do any of you guys actually like him? He's just a hotdog and I hope someone ends his career before he hits his prime
You must feel very tough

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM
  #31
pei fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
I dont really care, I hate Crosby. Do any of you guys actually like him? He's just a hotdog and I hope someone ends his career before he hits his prime
You are sick.That someone would even make such a statement is a fine example of the sorry state that hockey is in.

pei fan is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
  #32
Zetterberg4Captain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
what are you talking about. Just because I hate CROSBY its a bad thing. Im just saying. I dont really like Gretzky either. Also how am I sick when I say I hate a hockey player, you are sick just for saying that.

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 01:51 PM
  #33
LaVal
Registered User
 
LaVal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkinator
Good.

Crosby showed that not everything is about money.
or perhaps Crosby believes that the new NHL CBA will not fix the loopholes in the rookie max category, so he will make more in the NHL.

bonus structure's saw Kovalchuk make around $4 million a season in his rookie contract.

LaVal is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  #34
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
what are you talking about. Just because I hate CROSBY its a bad thing. Im just saying. I dont really like Gretzky either. Also how am I sick when I say I hate a hockey player, you are sick just for saying that.
They're referring to what you said about hoping he suffers a career-ending injury. I don't particularly care for Crosby, either, but what exactly has he done to merit you wishing for that to happen?

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 02:07 PM
  #35
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Another possible reason for turning it down: even if they really could pay him that amount, how much money would he be losing in potential endorsements by being stuck in a low-profile league for three years? His rookie salary in the NHL might be limited to a certain number, but the number of companies willing to throw money at the "next Gretzky" sure won't. That list will be a lot shorter, though, if he's only playing in 4-5 cities a year, mostly in smaller Canadian markets, and is rarely on TV.

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 03:19 PM
  #36
pei fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
what are you talking about. Just because I hate CROSBY its a bad thing. Im just saying. I dont really like Gretzky either. Also how am I sick when I say I hate a hockey player, you are sick just for saying that.
Yes ofhdhdy,it is a VERY BAD THING when you claim hatred for someone and
hope that someone will end his career.That might even be considered promoting
hatred and since it's a criminal offence I guess it would be a bad thing .I 'm sure
I can guess what you don't like about Gretzky ;skill,finesse,and class.

pei fan is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 03:43 PM
  #37
Zetterberg4Captain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
  #38
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.
You should maybe stop with this kind of stuff while you're ahead.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 04:41 PM
  #39
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.
What's this guy name? I'm curious...

Prendan Brust is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 05:53 PM
  #40
Papa Smurf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
He's a man, err... kid who can't be bought. Good for him!

Papa Smurf is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 06:02 PM
  #41
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I find that statement hilarious. What would you do if you were offered the money?

I don't give me "but" stuff either.

My ass would be "I'll drive the Zamboni too, boss!" Dude, don't let the wool athletes drape over your eyes fool you, it's always about the money. If one team would pay him a bit more money he'll jump all over it.
You're forgetting that there is a good chance he'd never even get paid, or get paid only a fraction of the money. The league is complete shambles, they have no players, no coaches, no GMs--yet still had a draft, no arenas, fewer and fewer teams each month, one team doesn't even have an owner (IIRC)... nothing to indicate to me that they would be able to deliver on a contract of any amount.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 06:14 PM
  #42
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
You're forgetting that there is a good chance he'd never even get paid, or get paid only a fraction of the money. The league is complete shambles, they have no players, no coaches, no GMs--yet still had a draft, no arenas, fewer and fewer teams each month, one team doesn't even have an owner (IIRC)... nothing to indicate to me that they would be able to deliver on a contract of any amount.

Exactly my thought. The WHA would never be able to pay Crosby $2,000,000. They can't get off the ground, and the whole league stinks of "fraud".

Jets4Life is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
  #43
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life
Exactly my thought. The WHA would never be able to pay Crosby $2,000,000. They can't get off the ground, and the whole league stinks of "fraud".
The reason they can't get off the ground is because it's so badly organised I doubt it's because of the money. I mean common, they drafted so many players and I doubt even a third of them are actually willing to sign a contract in the WHA. This thing's never gonna work.

x-bob is offline  
Old
08-26-2004, 07:05 PM
  #44
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
i also applaud crosby for not running at the $$...

everyone that actually know him say how great of a kid he is and i think this shows the type of character he has...

i always laugh when people who have never spoken to a kid or been near him label a kid a punk or a hotdog and then when people who actually dispute that they still think he is a punk or a hotdog because apparantly the voices in their heads are more credible then people who actually know the facts.

NYR469 is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:10 AM
  #45
The Flash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Korea (South of Cour
Country: South Korea
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.
Post of the year!!!!




















Category: Comedy

The Flash is offline  
Old
08-28-2004, 12:50 PM
  #46
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
You think he never wanted to play hockey? I think the kid wants to play hockey at place where he will develop the best. It WHA wasn't seen as a good place for 2,5 million a year. Maybe the contract prevented him to play in the NHL while it was effective. Maybe he was afraid to get hurt in a man league, who knows? It surely isn't, as some posters here try to imply, because he thinks the league is a joke... Any team that offers that kind of money to a young player is pretty serious IMO. Espacially when you consider that they garanteed him 2 million even if the league fold.
I think it's pretty obviously that the contract would not have let him leave to go to the NHL. Why would they put that in there just to lose him?

He's said that he wants to play in the NHL, and I'm sure he wants to do it as soon as possible. Why delay that by playing in a sideshow?

Seachd is offline  
Old
08-28-2004, 01:09 PM
  #47
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I think it's pretty obviously that the contract would not have let him leave to go to the NHL. Why would they put that in there just to lose him?

He's said that he wants to play in the NHL, and I'm sure he wants to do it as soon as possible. Why delay that by playing in a sideshow?
that is probebly one of the things that didn't make him sign. If there would of been an escape clause to make him go to the NHL then it would have been useless.

x-bob is offline  
Old
08-28-2004, 06:19 PM
  #48
Licentia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I agree it's a good choice by Crosby, not sure if I'd be able to walk away from that but it is good to see his dream of playing in the NHL is more important than making a quick fortune, he knows his payday is coming but it's still got to be tough to say no.
Let's all hope he doesn't get hurt this year, or that will be the biggest "I told you so" ever. I think it's pretty silly to turn that down.

Licentia is offline  
Old
08-28-2004, 06:20 PM
  #49
Licentia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel
You've got that right. How did the Hamilton franchise make him the offer when he was drafted by Toronto?
Just like with the Nordiks, after they were denied a franchise, their draft picks became free agents.

Licentia is offline  
Old
08-28-2004, 06:35 PM
  #50
Licentia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
or perhaps Crosby believes that the new NHL CBA will not fix the loopholes in the rookie max category, so he will make more in the NHL.

bonus structure's saw Kovalchuk make around $4 million a season in his rookie contract.
Maybe he just thinks he can beat Gretzky's records and is obsessed with that. Doesn't care about money.

Licentia is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.