HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Bob?

Old
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
What about Bob?

Is he going to get some games? Is there too much risk in creating a controversy over Bryzys icetime/$$$

What about Bob?

10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Is he going to get some games? Is there too much risk in creating a controversy over Bryzys icetime/$$$

What about Bob?
No, Bryz is going to play EVERY SINGLE GAME....

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
No, Bryz is going to play EVERY SINGLE GAME....
That's not really the "Philly way"...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Prongo
Beer

Well the last three years Bryz has averaged 67 games a year. If my math is correct, that leaves 15 games for BOB. I'm hoping to keep Bryz at 60 and BOB at 22, or around there. Lavy also doesn't shy away from playing the best player at that moment regardless of contract I believe, what every coach should do. If BOB starts to shine expect him to earn more starts, but the same can be said about Bryz

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
PointL00kout

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Well the last three years Bryz has averaged 67 games a year. If my math is correct, that leaves 15 games for BOB. I'm hoping to keep Bryz at 60 and BOB at 22, or around there. Lavy also doesn't shy away from playing the best player at that moment regardless of contract I believe, what every coach should do. If BOB starts to shine expect him to earn more starts, but the same can be said about Bryz
This sums up what I was going to say.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bob should play 20-25 games. Obviously if Bryz gets injured or falters at certain stretches then that may increase although can't see the latter and hope against the former.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he'll play about 20 games. I could see him being dealt too if there is a need that arises later in the season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think he will play 27-30 games this year. For once Bryz is going to have the ability to rest a little during the season.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I wish people would just say:

"I took Bob in a keeper league last year, and did not anticipate him losing his job to a $51M goaltender. Is it worth my time hanging on to him?"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Teezax

Would love to see Bob get 30 games but I doubt a 51M goaltender is only gonna see action for 52. I think 60-22 is realistic.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Holmgren is obviously going to work his magic and trade him to Ottawa or Florida for their 1st pick.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
I took Bob in a keeper league last year, and did not anticipate him losing his job to a $51M goaltender. Is it worth my time hanging on to him?

You're welcome.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Holmgren is obviously going to work his magic and trade him to Ottawa or Florida for their 1st pick.
JVR-Giroux-Yakupov

OR

Read-Grigorenko-Simmonds

OR

Pronger-Murray

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think he'll play about 20 games. I could see him being dealt too if there is a need that arises later in the season.
I'm curious what his trade value is at this point. I like Bob, but he's blocked here now just like Schneider is in Vancouver, and with the Flyers' roster and cap situation it makes more sense to use that space on an everyday player and sign a more traditional "backup".

But he got exposed last April, and if the Canucks weren't getting quality offers for Schneider then I doubt we are for Bob. It's just not a seller's market for goalies right now...of course despite the buyers' market we still managed to overpay for Bryz, but that's another story.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Devastate

Obviously it's just pre-season, but if it's any indication of how the goalie tandem is going to be... Bob should get more starts. He looked a hell of a lot better than he did last year, and a lot better than Bryz did.

Again, it is just pre-season. Tomorrow, the real fun begins.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think he will play 27-30 games this year. For once Bryz is going to have the ability to rest a little during the season.
this is what I'm expecting.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:01 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Highly doubt that. They're paying Bryz top dollars to be here so he'll play. Pretty sad Philly made Bob expendable after the regular season he had last year but it had to be done.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Highly doubt that. They're paying Bryz top dollars to be here so he'll play. Pretty sad Philly made Bob expendable after the regular season he had last year but it had to be done.
I see no reason why Bob wouldn't get at least 30 starts if he is playing well

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Bryz is paid to stop the puck when it matters. Just because he is paid like a workhorse doesn't mean he has to be one. If the flyers see it fit to have a healthy rested Bryzgalov in the play-offs then that is what will happen. We are in safe hands when he's not on the ice.

On the other side, a good showing from Bob over 30 games really maximises his trade value.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I'm curious what his trade value is at this point. I like Bob, but he's blocked here now just like Schneider is in Vancouver, and with the Flyers' roster and cap situation it makes more sense to use that space on an everyday player and sign a more traditional "backup".

But he got exposed last April, and if the Canucks weren't getting quality offers for Schneider then I doubt we are for Bob. It's just not a seller's market for goalies right now...of course despite the buyers' market we still managed to overpay for Bryz, but that's another story.
I think it is relatively high right now, at least as high as it will be. The less he plays, the lower his value IMO. Nothing against him, but if he's plyaing <20 games teams won't get to see him as much and we will be at a disadvantage at the bargaining table because it is clear we don't need him. Not that I think his value would drop to nothing, but I think if we traded him relatively soon, we could get something like the Varlamov return that Washington got. If we wait until like next year or something, I think it would be less than that. Then again, it depends on who is asking. If a team is on the cusp of a playoff race and their #1 goalie goes down, they'd be more desperate and likely pay more. If Ottawa is just looking for a goalie of the future at the deadline, they likely wouldn't offer much more than what Washington (and I don't think they'd even match that).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
They're paying Bryz top dollar to get them over the Stanley Cup hump. They're also paying Bob more than any other backup in hockey if I'm not mistaken. No reason for him to ride pine for 60+ games.

If he plays well, we may be able to move him for some picks or prospects, something we may be able to turn into a replacement for Pronger/Timonen down the line.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Bob Who ???

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
I see no reason why Bob wouldn't get at least 30 starts if he is playing well
Brys is used to playing alot of games. He will be fine with 70-75 at his salary.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

In tonights game it was mentioned that Thomas played only 58 of 82 games last year....Rask played the remainder I believe. Look how well that worked for Boston..Thomas played like a spring chicken in the playoffs. Bryz should play 60 to 65 games and Bob the rest. Rask is much more seasoned than Bob and he's accepting the situation..obviously though...Rask doesn't have a goalie in front of him with a massive 9 yr contract but still. I say Flyers should hold on to Bob this year as much as possible and only trade him if there is a big need for the playoff push due to a major injury or whatever. I think his value will remain high enough if he plays 20 or so games at least...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 10-06-2011 at 09:21 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:16 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Brys is used to playing alot of games. He will be fine with 70-75 at his salary.
What the hell has his salary got to do with how many games he should play?

Bobrovsky looked really good in the games he played in the preseason, if he continues to look sharp in practice and in the games he gets in on, there's no reason to risk running Bryzgalov tired before the playoffs.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote