Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Zach Parise

Old
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Just tell him hey your dad played when they were the minny Stars. Maybe that will help to lol

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Just tell him hey your dad played when they were the minny Stars. Maybe that will help to lol
It's a longshot, but it might work.

I'd be ecstatic if we signed Parise, don't even care how much it would cost. We've got ourselves a new owner who doesn't want to lose anymore (read: no rebuild), and plenty of money with which to try and fix the problems that ail this team.

If we can't change the coach or GM, let's give them a few new toys to play with.

04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
I'm fine with offering him ~$8M per as long as Robidas, Morrow, and/or Ott are being moved soon.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'm fine with offering him ~$8M per as long as Robidas, Morrow, and/or Ott are being moved soon.
Robidas is 35. He just doesn't know how much longer he can play...especially on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in four years with his leadership.

I think it's safe to say he's not here much longer.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Alistar

There aren't going to be any more deals for good talent on the UFA market. A mediocre 1st line player will be commanding 5 mill+ on the market so if there's a guy available that doesn't come around that often you have to open the wallet.

That's not to say that there won't be good buys available on the low end of the spectrum for cheap, but anyone that has any recognized value around the league is going to get paid.

Don't get your hopes up boys, Parise strikes me as one of those guys that will take a cushy job on the east coast where he doesn't have to travel at all.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I take the opposite attitude. Parise is precisely the kind of UFA you completely open the wallet for. You'll rarely regret paying market value for elite players. You will likely regret paying market value for guys like Jason Garrison and Alex Semin. I don't see why 1 forward can't go a long way toward changing the Stars' fortunes when that 1 forward is one of the best in the game and a known leader. Benn's contract is the only one of concern in this calculus. There should be enough cap space to allow for both, the only question is whether Gaglardi is willing to finance such an outlay.

Finding ways to remove Morrow, Robidas, & Ott's contracts from the books would go a long way toward making such a signing less painful financially as well.

What is his market value, you think?

I probably think he's going to ask @$0.5-1M over that per season, when it comes to a team like ours.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
What is his market value, you think?

I probably think he's going to ask @$0.5-1M over that per season, when it comes to a team like ours.
actual value I think is somewhere around 6-7 million a year. Market value (what someone will pay for him) probably 8+ mill.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
His market value has more to do with what teams are going to be willing to pay him in real dollar terms. I think you're going to have to come at him with an offer that starts at a 10 million salary for the first year or two just to get in the conversation. It's not just about who can afford his cap hit, it's about who can afford to pay the first years of a frontloaded deal. This will be the last big contract under the old rules and teams are going to take advantage while they still can. The AAV should end up between 8 and 8.5. He'll be in that tier right below Crosby/Malkin.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Might be ever more than that. Didn't Ehrhoff and Richards get like $10 mil in signing bonuses this year? On top of their annual salary. Parise will get similar.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
His market value has more to do with what teams are going to be willing to pay him in real dollar terms. I think you're going to have to come at him with an offer that starts at a 10 million salary for the first year or two just to get in the conversation. It's not just about who can afford his cap hit, it's about who can afford to pay the first years of a frontloaded deal. This will be the last big contract under the old rules and teams are going to take advantage while they still can. The AAV should end up between 8 and 8.5. He'll be in that tier right below Crosby/Malkin.
So, let's say it's 10, 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, over 6 years. That's $50M over 6 years, averaging out to $8.3M/year. That is still too rich for me, because it messes up the equation when it's time for Eriksson to re-up. Maybe it balances out if he puts up ppg performances in all 6 seasons- including a few 90+ or 100+ seasons.

Or...I fuggedabout Parise this year and target a top UFA next year when the crop is bigger.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
So, let's say it's 10, 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, over 6 years. That's $50M over 6 years, averaging out to $8.3M/year. That is still too rich for me, because it messes up the equation when it's time for Eriksson to re-up. Maybe it balances out if he puts up ppg performances in all 6 seasons- including a few 90+ or 100+ seasons.

Or...I fuggedabout Parise this year and target a top UFA next year when the crop is bigger.
i think his contract is going to be more like an 8 year deal 12,10,8,8,8,6,6,6 which would be 64 for 8/8 ending when he is 35

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Troy McClure

I slide a blank piece of paper across the table and tell him to fill in what he wants.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
tjcurrie

Glad this thread came back up.

Here we are at the end of the regular season and things are starting to come to fruition, kinda. Long ways to go yet but it could happen. As much as we're not one of the top few favored destinations, I can really see Joe and Tom selling it well. As was already posted, playing with Benn and Loui would be attractive, as well as a team with a new committed owner, a city with a good climate, and overall a team that is actually heading in the right direction.

I dont think Morrow will scare away any potential FAs. Those guys have played against him and have probably taken at least a couple hits from him and know his work ethic, though this season was a poor one for him - I dont think that changed anyone's overall perception of his guts and the size of his ballz.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I slide a blank piece of paper across the table and tell him to fill in what he wants.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
My feelings haven't changed. I want Parise in a Stars jersey and I would much rather pay him big bucks than Ryan Suter.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
My feelings haven't changed. I want Parise in a Stars jersey and I would much rather pay him big bucks than Ryan Suter.
Absolutely this. I think Suter is good, but playing with Weber makes him look better than he is in my opinion. I could see Suter being in a Brian Campbell type situation. Very solid, but overpaid by a good amount.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

This is likely the final opportunity for a career contract (Zetterberg, Luongo Mike Richards, Marc Savard, etc.).

Gaglardi seems like he has the cash to pay $10-$12 up front to drop the cap hit down to a manageable $5-$6.5 cap hit.

If Parise was willing, I think you should bite the bullet and take advantage of the loophole.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

12-10-8-8-8-6-6-6-6

70M over 9 years.

7.778M per.

Would prefer it about a million lower, but to compete I think that's what we'd have to offer (saw it somewhere else in this thread too, credit is theirs).

Old
04-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

I don't understand why you guys are head over heels in love with overpaying Parise compared to Suter. Minus external reasons (Suter actually wanting to play somewhere that is a championship contender (why wouldn't Parise want the same)) our #1 goal should be the only #1 defenseman on the market. I am just baffled by the Parise talk

I believe both are as far-fetched as the next.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Parise to NJ or Detroit.

Quote:
DETROIT – Zach Parise likes the way the Detroit Red Wings play. And he loves watching Pavel Datsyuk.

That can only help the Red Wings' chances of landing Parise, the New Jersey Devils star who is expected to be this summer's premier unrestricted free-agent forward.

“I think they play the right way,'' Parise said of the Red Wings. “They play hard. The puck possession is great. The way the (defense) get involved is awesome. They play a great style of hockey. Really fun to watch.''

Parise, 27, has scored more than 30 goals in each of his past five full seasons.
He called Datsyuk “my most favorite player to watch.''

“He's awesome,'' Parise said. “He does everything out there. Just some of the passes he makes to set up guys are unbelievable.

“He does everything and plays the game the right way. For any player just watching him, you try to mimic some things he does out there. It's not fun playing against him, but he's fun to watch."
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....d_wings_9.html

???

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:18 AM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Of course Parise likes Detroit they have a winning history. Dallas on the other hand well you get the idea.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Well we don't know how much of a run Ken Holland will take at Parise this offseason, I'll take those comments from Parise with a grain of salt.

Some Detroit reporter asks him a few questions about the Wings, what else is he going to say? We went through the same thing last year when Brad Richards passed through Toronto. He complimented the city once and the media went into hysterics. As did many Leaf backers here on HF: ("OMG it must mean he wants to sign here! We're getting Richards!" )

You get the idea.

Parise might be one of those "first day" signings, but I'll hold off on awarding him to the Wings already.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Detroit is in a perfect position to sign Suter, not Parise, and that's who they should be targetting. Lidstrom is probably done after this year (him taking time off/injured hinted at that), and theyll have enough room to offer Suter ~7.5M, so he'll get what he wants.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Detroit is in a perfect position to sign Suter, not Parise, and that's who they should be targetting. Lidstrom is probably done after this year (him taking time off/injured hinted at that), and theyll have enough room to offer Suter ~7.5M, so he'll get what he wants.
They could fit both without much worry, but that's kind of a pipe dream. I'll be surprised if they land one, let alone two. Honestly, both those guys will probably stay with their current teams. The Devils and Preds are both trending up. Jumping ship now would kind of be silly for both those guys unless they truly had their heart set on a specific team.

Lidstrom is probably back next year, too. At least, they've hinted he will be back. He had a statistically modest season by his standards, but was still the rock of the blueline. Taking time off, eh? He still played 70 games averaging 23:46 minute per game.

Quote:
"He'll be back. He'll be back," Babcock said. "He's too good to quit and our team's too good. I was concerned this year was going to be his last if our team wasn't good enough. Our team is good enough and he's good enough.
Grain of salt, but there you go.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote