Zach Parise

Old
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
but I'll hold off on awarding him to the Wings already.
Man, I even put

Bringing up the Wings whenever applicable is my thing. You'll grow to love and hate me for it. Maybe just hate, whatever.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
They could fit both without much worry, but that's kind of a pipe dream. I'll be surprised if they land one, let alone two. Honestly, both those guys will probably stay with their current teams. The Devils and Preds are both trending up. Jumping ship now would kind of be silly for both those guys unless they truly had their heart set on a specific team.
The only reason I don't agree with you on Parise is the Devils financial situation and the Kovy contract. The team currently has $42 million committed in cap hits to 13 players. Unfortunately, Kovy's cap hit is $6,666,667, but his actual salary is $11 million.

A team surviving with the NHL propping them up financially should not be able to give Parise the type of contract he'll command.

I don't think that means Dallas has a better shot of landing him by any means. I just think he will be available to sign this summer .... assuming someone doesn't acquire his rights and sign him first.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
They could fit both without much worry, but that's kind of a pipe dream. I'll be surprised if they land one, let alone two. Honestly, both those guys will probably stay with their current teams. The Devils and Preds are both trending up. Jumping ship now would kind of be silly for both those guys unless they truly had their heart set on a specific team.

Lidstrom is probably back next year, too. At least, they've hinted he will be back. He had a statistically modest season by his standards, but was still the rock of the blueline. Taking time off, eh? He still played 70 games averaging 23:46 minute per game.

Grain of salt, but there you go.
You'd know more than I do about Detroit's situation.

Predators either let Radulov go or let Suter walk. They can't afford four $7+M contracts. G is right in that salary will become a huge issue for the Devils when it comes to Parise. It's doubtful that either resigns with their teams.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
You'd know more than I do about Detroit's situation.

Predators either let Radulov go or let Suter walk. They can't afford four $7+M contracts. G is right in that salary will become a huge issue for the Devils when it comes to Parise. It's doubtful that either resigns with their teams.
Four? Who is the 4th $7M guy? Radulov?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Isn't Radulov suppose to be returning to the KHL next season? Or was that whole thing a lie?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Isn't Radulov suppose to be returning to the KHL next season? Or was that whole thing a lie?
It's my guess he wants to play out his NHL contract quickly (which he just did) so he can entertain higher value NHL offers. If they aren't up to his standards, he'll probably be KHL bound.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The only reason I don't agree with you on Parise is the Devils financial situation and the Kovy contract. The team currently has $42 million committed in cap hits to 13 players. Unfortunately, Kovy's cap hit is $6,666,667, but his actual salary is $11 million.

A team surviving with the NHL propping them up financially should not be able to give Parise the type of contract he'll command.

I don't think that means Dallas has a better shot of landing him by any means. I just think he will be available to sign this summer .... assuming someone doesn't acquire his rights and sign him first.
Yeah, that could handcuff NJ but I'm not convinced. GM Lou has been pretty clear he has every intention of keeping Parise, so I've got to assume he's not hanging onto a pipe dream.

Parise will be like Richards in that he probably already has his team in mind, but he'll entertain offers just to see what pops up. We all knew Brad was bolting to New York, but he still took a day to get wined and dined.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Four? Who is the 4th $7M guy? Radulov?
Rinne, Weber, and Radulov/Suter.

Radulov is expected to return to the KHL, but I've also heard that if he gets a big enough offer from Nashville, he'll stick around. No one is 100% sure, though, and even he might not be.

If Radulov goes back to the KHL, they'll resign Suter. If not, he'll hit UFA. That much is obvious.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
I don't understand why you guys are head over heels in love with overpaying Parise compared to Suter.
I said it a few months ago in this thread but I'll repeat my thinking. It is an undeniable fact that Suter looks better playing with Weber than he would with just about any other defenseman in the league. If this were a question of Weber vs Parise it would be more difficult to choose because Weber is a legit, bona-fide, do-it-all #1 stud defenseman. I would live with whatever risk it took to sign that guy for the next decade. I really think Ryan Suter is a good player but there is just no way around the fact that Suter lacks a dynamic element you'd want from paying the "top defenseman on the market." Weber has it all and Suter doesn't, at least as far as addressing specific needs within the structure of the Dallas Stars.

Weber embodies everything we're looking for to help our defense out. Suter is good but will be grossly overpaid. That or he will sign a more reasonable contract with a championship caliber team. There are certain times that it's right to strike in free agency and others when it's best to let this year's big fish swim down the stream. That being said, Parise is exactly the type of player this organization (and most others) is looking for. He fits Nieuwendyk's M.O. of player ilk to a "T", and yes he's American, he's marketable, and he would instantly become a fan favorite. Most importantly, he would bring the right type of presence to the locker room and allow for a true changing of the guard. Having Parise on the roster and on the cover of the opening night program would be a pretty good way of moving beyond Morrow, Ott, and Robidas.

Basically, I think Parise would come closer to earning his salary here than Suter would.

Quote:
If Radulov goes back to the KHL, they'll resign Suter. If not, he'll hit UFA. That much is obvious.
That's a bold statement. I don't think there's a chance in hell Suter isn't a free agent on July 1st. He may still re-sign with Nashville but it's not nearly as simple as depending on Radulov.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 04-11-2012 at 09:14 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
I don't understand why you guys are head over heels in love with overpaying Parise compared to Suter.
I'm fine overpaying either guy, but they'll both be signed by the time the sun sets on July 1st. With that in mind, you have to push hard for both if you hope to have a shot at either one. If they wait on Parise while chasing Suter, they may miss out on Parise.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
That's a bold statement. I don't think there's a chance in hell Suter isn't a free agent on July 1st. He may still re-sign with Nashville but it's not nearly as simple as depending on Radulov.
I agree to some extent. I phrased it wrong, if Radulov stays with the team, there's no chance of Suter returning. If he leaves for Russia, they'll at least be able to retain him, but I still doubt they will.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
D-men seem to take bigger drops when changing teams. Sutter may very well turn into a Bouwmester/Ehrhoff/Goligoski situation and be average and overpaid here.

Parise is gonna light the world up no matter what team he's on.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Brand New Stars

Another reason I prefer Parise is his work ethic. Maybe it could rub off onto the younger guys and set a better example than a Morrow does.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Rinne, Weber, and Radulov/Suter.

Radulov is expected to return to the KHL, but I've also heard that if he gets a big enough offer from Nashville, he'll stick around. No one is 100% sure, though, and even he might not be.

He'll definitely stick around for big money, but not necessarily get it. I don't see him influencing Suter's re-signing.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
txomisc

I gotta say it seems people are really underrating Suter. The guy is definitely one of the 15 best dmen in the league and would fill a massive hole. Weber benefits from pairing with Suter just as Suter benefits from pairing with Weber. He can play big minutes, is a great passer and has a great shot. Whats not to love?

Last edited by txomisc: 04-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.
txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:56 PM
TrillMike

I'd love either guy. GM Joe keeps hinting at possibly making trades involving veterans. If that is the case I think the Stars should focus more on Suter and try to trade for another top 6 fwd.

A team like PHI is going to be right against the cap (even if it increases). I'd really like to see the Stars make a move to get JVR.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Throw 10 or 11 million at Parise.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I gotta say it seems people are really underrating Suter. The guy is definitely one of the 15 best dmen in the league and would fill a massive hole. Weber benefits from pairing with Suter just as Suter benefits from pairing with Weber. He can play big minutes, is a great passer and has a great shot. Whats not to love?
Suter is a great player, no doubt. I just don't see him as the big difference-maker on this roster that Weber or Parise would be. Honestly, I'm not sold on Suter being a "great" or gifted passer; a playmaker really. When Weber is scoring goals at the clip he is you have to wonder how much of Suter's assists come by tossing a puck in the general direction of Weber's howitzer.

Suter is one of the best defenders in the league but his skill-set isn't as vast as I would hope when you're going to have to pay what he will cost. Weber is worth that type of money. The physical element of Weber's game shouldn't be undersold either.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Suter is a great player, no doubt. I just don't see him as the big difference-maker on this roster that Weber or Parise would be. Honestly, I'm not sold on Suter being a "great" or gifted passer; a playmaker really. When Weber is scoring goals at the clip he is you have to wonder how much of Suter's assists come by tossing a puck in the general direction of Weber's howitzer.

Suter is one of the best defenders in the league but his skill-set isn't as vast as I would hope when you're going to have to pay what he will cost. Weber is worth that type of money. The physical element of Weber's game shouldn't be undersold either.
Weber is not even worth mentioning. He'd cost not only a boatload of money but significant assets. Suter is a guy who you could theoretically get for just assets. There is no other dman we could possibly acquire thats going to be better and cheaper in terms of what it takes to get them than Suter. I think you are giving Weber way too much credit for Suters performance.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Suter would be huge for our team, and I agree being able to acquire a D of his calibur for nothing but money would be amazing. If I had to choose between the two I'd choose Parise though. Just because I feel D tend to fluctuate more depending on the system/team they play for.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Weber is not even worth mentioning. He'd cost not only a boatload of money but significant assets. Suter is a guy who you could theoretically get for just assets. There is no other dman we could possibly acquire thats going to be better and cheaper in terms of what it takes to get them than Suter. I think you are giving Weber way too much credit for Suters performance.
I thought it was pretty clear I was comparing the theoretical impact either Suter or Weber would have on our team given their particular skillsets. I'm not advocating trading for Weber in the least.

You don't have to sell me on Suter being the best defenseman on the market. I get that. I also get that he's really good. I just don't think he's a 10 year deal $7.5 million player. I just don't. I do think Parise is worth that because that would give us three legitimate star/impact players in the top 6.

We'll just agree to disagree on Suter's level of production. Neither of us can prove anything one way or the other because there aren't enough variable factors; Suter and Weber play together a ton even strength and on the PP. I just don't see the top flight hands or playmaking ability I would hope to see from a defenseman who's never scored more than 8 goals in a season.

*Most importantly the Stars need an offensive defenseman who is a legit trigger-man. Suter is not that guy. If we're going to go all in on a player it should be the right player at the right time. I don't think Suter is that player for this team right now. Parise could be. Weber (although not possible because he's not UFA) absolutely would be.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:40 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Heika:
I think they could get Zach Parise in free agency.
Alrighty then.

He's also skeptical of Suter.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Plan the parade.

Old
04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Heika:
I think they could get Zach Parise in free agency.
Alrighty then.

He's also skeptical of Suter.
Well Suter would help our defense ten fold so why be skeptical about him?

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Well Suter would help our defense ten fold so why be skeptical about him?
About him playing without Weber I would suspect. I don't think Suter is as good offensively as his numbers suggest and players are always better with a great partner. Weber will suffer, but Suter will also.

Just my take.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote