HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We didnt even compete

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Aurel Joliat

vCash: 500
Eller is 6'2 and play like a 5'5 !

Size is not a important here

And I don't care if a player speak french or not. I just don't understand why a 17 pts players has so many love on this board

Old
10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
I know everyone's bashing you for saying this, but you must understand one thing.

SIZE MATTERS!!!

Do you wanna have 3 midget centers? LOL
We will have NO MIDGET centers once Eller is back...5'11" 5'11" 6'2" and 6'3"...not taht size at center means anything.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Grant McCagg

First of all - let's give credit to the Leafs - their goaltending was solid. as was their defensive play after the first period - Schenn is developing into that shutdown defensive defenceman I expected. Frattin is a strong SOB and he impressed me, wish the Habs' western scout would have liked him more in his draft year. Trevor T never saw him in the AJHL.

I disagree with people who say Martin is an idiot for having Diaz in the lineup instead of Emelin. I thought he and Gill were the Habs' best defencemen on the night. I watched the defencemen pretty closely, and except for a poor shift or two in the second period, Diaz was decent in his own end positionally, and made some excellent passes. He has top-notch vision, skates well, and defensively has good gap control. He will without a doubt have some hiccups as he's playing as a rookie dman in a league far superior to the Swiss league or any other for that matter, but he most certainly has the instincts and skill to make the adaptation. He impressed me at the world championships, he impressed me in the exhibition season, and he certainly impressed me last night.

I think the Campoli injury may be a bit of a blessing in disguise. Diaz is going to get a good opportunity to show his worth, and I would expect Emelin to get the much needed playing time he needs.

i was not overly impressed with Weber when he dropped back to play defence. He was okay when he had the puck, he made decent breakout passes, but without the puck Weber was overmatched. He made some poor reads and was caught out of position and/or overwhelmed physically on several plays. I don't think he's ready to play a regular shift on defence (for the Habs at least), and hope that Emelin is given Campoli's spot for now.

I like Jacques giving AK the opportunity to start the season on the top line. I have a feeling that the two of them had a chat concerning AK's comments, and JM told Andrei that he'd get a shot on the top line, but if he doesn't play well enough he will be demoted. Well - he got demoted before the end of the first game, and with good reason...even lost PP time to Darche/Desharnais. AK needs to work hard all of the time; less thinking and more doing. He shows flashes of that, but at the NHL level that's not enough to warrant top-line status. Cole deserves to be on the top line, and when Eller returns AK may be better served playing with a physical center who doesn't mind mucking out the puck anyway. I'd like to see Eller/AK/Des playing together, perhaps even AK/Eller/White at some point..

Patch is going to have to play more like he did in certain preseason games and not like last night. He seemed tentative..the team needs him to be banging people on the forecheck and driving to the net.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

We were fast in the first and got some chances, so the leaf played a physical style to slow us down and they dominated the second and third. This is not the first time the opposition has succeeded with this simple strategy and it won't be the last. Eller, White, Betts and Emelin should help though, and more icetime for Cole who was at 14 min, less PK time for Plekanec who logged 23 min. Go Habs Go !!!

Old
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post

And I don't care if a player speak french or not. I just don't understand why a 17 pts players has so many love on this board
Uh, no. Eller's strength is his, well, strength. He's an extremely solid human being. He may not throw huge hits, but you won't knock him off the puck.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Eller plays like he's 5'5? I'm not sure if you even know who Lars Eller is. Kid was already protecting the puck better than most of the players on this team at a young age and without being properly filled out. Did you not watch the playoffs? I'm not sure you could have made a more off-base comment on Lars Eller's game.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
So yeah, we lost that game last year too, we finished 6th, they didnt make the playoffs... Stop the riots!
Not so much about were the Leafs finish/finished that should concern you, the play of your team period is what should concern you.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
guest1467

Its amazing how quickly the rough and tumble crowd comes out from under their rocks when a L is on the board.

Win because it was despite our lack of size.
Lose because it was because of our lack of size.

Great argument you got going there.

I especially love the cognitive bias undertones: "after the first period the Leafs played a rough game and wore us down."

I guess you didn't manage to notice, or you did, you just didn't perceive it, that the Leafs were trying to hit the whole first period. Of course, it was ineffective because they never did anything with the puck.

Its truly astonishing how subjective opinions can skew arguments and perceptions of the game happening right in front of you.

I have to agree with MathMan, fans are incapable of even evaluating a game, better to go with actual evidence.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Bobs your uncle

Some here expected the Habs to go undefeated?

Old
10-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Perrah

Quote:

Probably because he played a hard honest game, doesnt complain and took everything in stride. Seems like a good character guy that is due for a breakout in the next year or 2. He had some great games towards the end of the season, particularly against the bruins.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not so much about were the Leafs finish/finished that should concern you, the play of your team period is what should concern you.
Sorry if we don't take the first game of the season as seriously as our Torontian counterparts.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:48 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
First of all - let's give credit to the Leafs - their goaltending was solid. as was their defensive play after the first period - Schenn is developing into that shutdown defensive defenceman I expected. Frattin is a strong SOB and he impressed me, wish the Habs' western scout would have liked him more in his draft year. Trevor T never saw him in the AJHL.
Yeah, too bad they did not see more of Frattin. He had a great year that year with the Fort Saskatchewan Traders (who promptly moved to nearby St Albert with its nice new rink complex). He ended up as the AJHL rookie of the year and you could definitely see his abilities. He was on my wish list for the Habs to take a flyer on in the later rounds, for what little that is worth.

That was a neat team to watch, as they were highly ranked that season as one of the top Junior A teams in the country. They featured up and coming female goalie Shannon Szabados who, of course, now has an Olympic gold medal to hang in her trophy room. The Traders also had the junior player with the best hockey name, Steele Boomer, who just wrapped up his WHL career with the Kootenay Ice. A few of the other top players are now playing for the U of Alberta Golden Bears, a perennial CIS contender.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:48 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:

from now on, i'd refrain from making any hockey related observations. for your own good of course...

Old
10-07-2011, 01:51 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
from now on, i'd refrain from making any hockey related observations. for your own good of course...
He can make all of them he wants, just throw him on the good ole IL. Best part of the early season is beefing that puppy back up.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Forsead

Quote:

He's also our center with the most hits last season and he drive the net very often.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Plante

Everyone can take solace in that Leafs fans everywhere are getting playoff fever, and guessing which one of their players will win a major award already.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:09 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This board, after a leaf loss cracks me up....if you go back to last years opening loss, this thread would be a duplicate....

Take your meds guys, chill, it's one game, I hate losing to the Leafs, but come on, we outshot them 2 to 1 and dominated at times but couldn't finish...easy on the drama.

Why is it we always open their barn, on opening night, and have to start on the road, but they have never openined in Montreal? Obvious advantage to them, but hey Reimer for the Vezina
No drama. Just stating the obvious. Martin's offensive scheme is not productive. We are too passive on defense. Even the announcers were stating that our forecheck is too passive.

And with regard to the shot totals, big deal. 2/3 of our shots were outside of the faceoff dots. Perimeter shots that even an AHL goalie can stop. Hell, Gill even launched a shot on net from the other side of the red line. I praise his accuracy, but really?

Inside shots were Habs 11 and Leafs 9. That is more indicative of reality than saying we outshot them 2-1.

I am concerned with the trends that I am seeing with this year's teams. It started in the pre-season games and it continued last night. Martin has to up his game.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Peace

We have so many "team guys", this isnt frightening. The game in winnipeg is going to be very different. I still think we played better than the leafs, some mistakes cost us the game. We are a better team than that so i'm not worried. With Gionta, Gorges, Gill, PK Subban, Darche, Desharnais, Max Pac, Camalleri and heck, even Gomez, all character guys, we'll be fine. We played better than the leafs, the outcome was deceptive.

Some big flaws defensively cost us the game but it was to be expected ( we had so many rookies in the pre-season we didnt play our regulars a lot). Better it happens in the first game than later in the season.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:16 PM
guest1467

I think the biggest problem last night was making way too many low percentage plays.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
He did not cause that icing. Your memory is faulty. Yes, for the first one, he should have taken the extra two strides to prevent the icing. However, if you believe JM benched him because of the second icing and not because of the penalty, that's your opinion. My memory and my eyes are good enough that I saw many other players (PK especially) play a hell of a lot worse without being benched. AK is always Martin's whipping boy (especially now with Benoit Pouliot gone).
I was pointing out that it didn't occur in the first period as you proclaimed so assuredly.

BTW, here's a post from immediately after the penalty in our own GDT:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=914

"Sigh, no much for AK doing well. Icing and a penalty, genius."

I'm pretty sure you're memory is distorted by your appreciation of the guy you have in your avatar.

Committing two errors of that magnitude, while playing on the first line might just get you bumped down a bit in ice-time. This is especially the case if you have a huge amount of competition for your role. All I was saying is that those kinds of mistakes add up and don't go unnoticed (except by some fans).

Subban on the other hand is lucky to have a little higher margin for error because there's few Habs that can challenge him for his icetime and provide what he does. He had an atrocious game last night and probably would have seen his ice time reduced if it were possible. Fortunately for Subban, Weber and Diaz weren't making much of a case for their own promotions either.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:18 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
you obviously know nothing to hockey.. Eller plays a strong north south game, we really miss him right now, he is pretty strong on the forecheck.. thats why he gets so much love.. He is a big guy playing like a big guy, he just need a bit of polishment offensively and needs better wingers than the grinders he played with last year.. Will obviously take his spot back when he is ready to come back since Desharnais doesnt do the job and we need to get bigger down the middle.. Will also have the chance to play with better wingers..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old
10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Do people forget why AKost was on the ice to take that penalty?

After his line was hemmed in their own zone for a significant stretch, AK won the puck and skated it out of the zone (great start). However, rather than gain the red line and dumping it in for a line change, AK dumped the puck in a stride or so early, which trapped the tired line on the ice for an icing call. Whether this was due to poor judgement or laziness doesn't really matter, it's an infuriating thing for a coach to see a player make this kind of mistake.

After the ensuing faceoff, AK gained possession and moved the puck into the Leafs' zone, next he decided to provide puck pressure rather than change (not a terrible idea, but not the smartest one). However, he lost position on the Leafs' d-man and got his stick parallel to the ice near the player with the puck. I agree that the call was one that could've been let go, but any player that puts himself in the position AKost did is begging for a hooking penalty.

Don't get me wrong, AKost wasn't solely to blame for the loss. However, that shift was just about as bad as it gets. A line shuffle was in order to try and get things going in the 3rd. AKost put himself at the front of the demotion line with those mistakes. The coaching staff made it's mistakes last night (specifically on the PP), but demoting AKost for one period was not one of them.
This is one of the reasons I do not like Martin and wish him gone.

He takes a known streaky goal scorer (Kostitsyn) out of the game for ten minutes as punishment for a "mistake". I am sure AK was pissed at that.

How does this "help" Kostitsyn to score goals and more importantly, what message does this send to the team when there were COUNTLESS mistakes made during the game and only AK was punished for his while others were given a free pass.

Martin has ruined many players (SKost, O'Byrne, Pouliot etc) with his idiotic coaching methods. And in a tight game as last night's was, we could have used a CONFIDENT AK on the ice instead of a pissed off AK who finally returned to the ice after sitting on the bench for 10 minutes.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs your uncle View Post
Some here expected the Habs to go undefeated?
I think its not too much asking to want a team that competes every night, give a consistent effort and stop relying on their goaltender.. Price has been abused once again, has been crashed hard twice by Leafs players and had to face several quality scoring chances after the first period..

Old
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

He takes a known streaky goal scorer (Kostitsyn) out of the game for ten minutes as punishment for a "mistake". I am sure AK was pissed at that.

How does this "help" Kostitsyn to score goals and more importantly, what message does this send to the team when there were COUNTLESS mistakes made during the game and only AK was punished for his while others were given a free pass.

Martin has ruined many players (SKost, O'Byrne, Pouliot etc) with his idiotic coaching methods. And in a tight game as last night's was, we could have used a CONFIDENT AK on the ice instead of a pissed off AK who finally returned to the ice after sitting on the bench for 10 minutes.
Needless to say that, Cammy made alot of mistakes... Did you guys even saw Cammalleri tonight? For me it was as if he wasn't even playing...

Sitting a guy that had the most game winning goals last season on the bench, when we are losing a tight game, really helps out hte team... Tss, why wasn't PK and Plecky benched after the goal on the PK by lombardi?

They were directly involved in a goal, and ( I did miss pieces of the 2nd and the third, work and hockey practice ), but from what I recall, A.K's penalty did NOT cost a goal to the habs...

Old
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I think this is a valid complaint even if I don't agree with your point. I like the fact that Martin has high expectations for his players and I firmly believe that specific players like Subban and Pacioretty have benefited because of them (even though you probably think they've improved "despite them").

Closed Thread