HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We didnt even compete

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelHabs View Post
Just a general comment:

Is there anything more arrogant than putting down other posters here? What is the unspoken assumption when someone calls "the majority of posters" morons? Or when they complain about the quality of what I believe to be an excellent discussion board. Are they not implying: "I'm better, I'm smarter, I know hockey better?" How arrogant is that?!!

I think the majority of posters do not purposely solicit comments from the peanut gallery. If you have something to say *about hockey,* then say it. Please keep your smug superior elitism to yourself.

I, for one, certainly do not agree with everything that is posted here. But people have their right to their opinion without being slandered for it. I think some people should realize that just because they believe their own opinions to be true and others wrong, they should admit to the possibility that they just might be wrong and someone else's might actually be correct.
Don't view those posts as arrogance... view them as comic relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I completely agree! However, I don't see Desharnais being used in a defensive role. He is just too weak for it.

Did anyone notice that Eller was practicing as a winger? I do NOT agree with this.

I also find Darche is highly underrated by all of you. IMO Kostitsyn should be dealt for a top four stay at home defenseman.
I'm pretty sure AK is going to get traded this year. He's the kind of player that needs coddling and he's not going to get it from Martin.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Stradale

Quote:
I completely agree! However, I don't see Desharnais being used in a defensive role. He is just too weak for it.

Did anyone notice that Eller was practicing as a winger? I do NOT agree with this.

I also find Darche is highly underrated by all of you. IMO Kostitsyn should be dealt for a top four stay at home defenseman.

I think he was practicing on the wing just to replace Cammalleri who was sick.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Et le But

People are still obsessed with O'byrne? Getting high ice time for an atrocious defensive team isn't really an accomplishment, and no coach is going to coddle a guy who is a 6th defender at best on a decent team. He's not even that tough. In a few years Bournival for O'byrne is going to look like absolute robbery.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:05 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Just a general comment:

Is there anything more arrogant than putting down other posters here? What is the unspoken assumption when someone calls "the majority of posters" morons? Or when they complain about the quality of what I believe to be an excellent discussion board. Are they not implying: "I'm better, I'm smarter, I know hockey better?" How arrogant is that?!!

I think the majority of posters do not purposely solicit comments from the peanut gallery. If you have something to say *about hockey,* then say it. Please keep your smug superior elitism to yourself.

I, for one, certainly do not agree with everything that is posted here. But people have their right to their opinion without being slandered for it. I think some people should realize that just because they believe their own opinions to be true and others wrong, they should admit to the possibility that they just might be wrong and someone else's might actually be correct.
Great post.

Especially in a GDT, don't expect most people to have rational thoughts. It's a game, it's competitive and lots of people (myself included) take it seriously enough to get mad when the team doesn't perform up to their abilities. It's often just heat of the moment disappointment.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:31 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:

Our problem is that both Eller and Desharnais play naturally better as centres. Put them on the wing, they're less effective.

The reasoning of why Eller was on the wing at practice was because Cammy had retreated to the dressing room for undisclosed reasons.

Still, with the depth at centre we have - especially now with Betts as our 4th line pivot - if the roster is to profit from Eller's and DD's abilities, one of them will need to move on the wing until Gomez outplays himself out of the roster.

The question is which one - out of Eller and DD - can play best on the wing - temporarily.

As for dealing AK for a top four Dman, it is quite clear - given the m.o. of the organization - that he will not be dealt rather given the chance to play himself out of Montreal. And with all the opportunities to land a top four Dman there was since the start of free agency, it is clear that PG never had that intention.

Last edited by crazyd: 10-08-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old
10-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Picaroon

vCash: 953
Back after a long summer away form HF.

This game did show a lot of the glaring weaknesses from last year.
-AK choked with another opportunity on the top line.

-Gomez had a million giveaways at the Offensive blue line. The part that scares me is that he looked like he tried but still had the same results as always. Maybe he just isn't....... good?

-We lost faceoff after faceoff.

-We were badly out hit.

If we turned Gomez in to a decent third or fourth line hitter and AK into a Center who can win over 50% of the draws I think we'd be better off.

On a good note, I actually liked how Campoli played. He was vocal, looked in to the game and made some nice passes. Perfect #5-6 d man I think.
I liked Pac as well. Its been a while since he played so his instincts and finish were a little off but he looked energetic and man is he ever fast.
Carey Price, same ****, different day.

Nobody else really stood out. They played like average players on an average team. But, as an optimistic habs fan, I know they will be a different team Sunday! Bring on the Jets!

Old
10-08-2011, 06:44 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
if they keep DD at center and put Eller at the wing, I will personally kill Martin.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:40 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
Back after a long summer away form HF.

This game did show a lot of the glaring weaknesses from last year.
-AK choked with another opportunity on the top line.

-Gomez had a million giveaways at the Offensive blue line. The part that scares me is that he looked like he tried but still had the same results as always. Maybe he just isn't....... good?

-We lost faceoff after faceoff.

-We were badly out hit.

If we turned Gomez in to a decent third or fourth line hitter and AK into a Center who can win over 50% of the draws I think we'd be better off.

On a good note, I actually liked how Campoli played. He was vocal, looked in to the game and made some nice passes. Perfect #5-6 d man I think.
I liked Pac as well. Its been a while since he played so his instincts and finish were a little off but he looked energetic and man is he ever fast.
Carey Price, same ****, different day.

Nobody else really stood out. They played like average players on an average team. But, as an optimistic habs fan, I know they will be a different team Sunday! Bring on the Jets!
according to NHL.com, TO won only 3 more FO than us (both Plekanec and Gomez were over 50%)... and they had a grand total of 15 hits...

Old
10-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Ain't it grand how Gionta and Gomez are being thrust into chippy play post-whistle. They know, and the Leafs know, nobody is coming to their rescue. It's a matter of pride, but it totally sucks that our "star" players have to protect themselves.
have you stopped to ask yourself why the refs allow post-whistle punches and cross checks? That was the first thing I asked. do you think Gionta was intimidated at the end of the game? Or any of them? I saw them all go to the net.

Old
10-08-2011, 09:23 AM
BelHabs

From the Mtl. Gazette (highlighting my concern about our system being offensively-challenged, even when we outshoot the opposition ala period 1 against Toronto):

"The offence fired 32 shots at Torontoís James Reimer but couldnít score. The folks in Toronto see this as affirmation that heís the next coming of Johnny Bower, but Reimer said he was fortunate that the Canadiens didnít get many good shots. Thatís a concern."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1aCTFK7Hw

Old
10-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
have you stopped to ask yourself why the refs allow post-whistle punches and cross checks? That was the first thing I asked. do you think Gionta was intimidated at the end of the game? Or any of them? I saw them all go to the net.
I agree that they arent intimidated and the scrum stuff will always happen and the boys will have to take care of themselves. Nothing you can do about it and there will always be ******* like komisarek around taking on the small guys and cowering from people his own size. Just have to deal with it until the habs find the elusive tough guy that is a useful player.

Old
10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
From the Mtl. Gazette (highlighting my concern about our system being offensively-challenged, even when we outshoot the opposition ala period 1 against Toronto):

"The offence fired 32 shots at Torontoís James Reimer but couldnít score. The folks in Toronto see this as affirmation that heís the next coming of Johnny Bower, but Reimer said he was fortunate that the Canadiens didnít get many good shots. Thatís a concern."

The first period Habs had a ton of good shots, even a couple posts. The rest of the game, not so much.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Protest the Hero

I hope when Eller returns, if he's playing on the same line as DD, that the coaches tell them he can start cheating in the faceoff circle some more. If he gets kicked out, big deal, but he's got to cheat better than Plekanec still.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I think anybody that finds anything concerning after game 1 feeds right into the ridiculous Montreal frenzy.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Just a general comment:

Nothing arrogant about an observation.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:58 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

1. Steckel won more faceoffs then he will, he's on a high from being in a new city he wont be as good all season
2. Gorges and Pacioretty are on their first regular season ice in how long?
3. Price showed us he still good
4. Subban is still young im not concerned about 1 bad game
5. Diaz had a rough 3rd period.
6. Toronto played strong, and we underused our big guys in Cole, Having white back in the lineup to inject some physicality will change that.
7. Eller properly balances the lines. When he gets back the third line gets their weapon back.

Im not concerned, what will concern me is when we finally learn how long markovs gone, if he is gone for quite some time I say were looking at a lottery pick or giving up our first rounder to get our hands on a defenseman

Old
10-08-2011, 11:40 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Im not concerned, what will concern me is when we finally learn how long markovs gone, if he is gone for quite some time I say were looking at a lottery pick or giving up our first rounder to get our hands on a defenseman
Just like last year right?

Old
10-08-2011, 11:45 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Just like last year right?
no, difference between this year and last year is no Hamrlik to help carry the defensive load, and if you remember correctly, that was what was going on until we acquired wiznewski

Old
10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
no, difference between this year and last year is no Hamrlik to help carry the defensive load, and if you remember correctly, that was what was going on until we acquired wiznewski
Gorges brings more to the team than Hamrlik would at his age today. Subban is a year more mature and Markov is pretty much our only superstar - we don't need to steenkin Hamrlik.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Gorges brings more to the team than Hamrlik would at his age today. Subban is a year more mature and Markov is pretty much our only superstar - we don't need to steenkin Hamrlik.
We all know you hated Hammer.
But he would have helped our brigade whether you want to admit it or not.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:11 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:

i think (hope) it was just a fill in for Cammy who left practice early cause he's sick.Nobody with a little sanity wants to see Eller on the wing

Old
10-08-2011, 01:48 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
There is not a big enough difference between Hamrlik, and a lottery pick.

Sorry man, and this is coming from a big Hamrlik fan.

Defense really is not the issue here, the team's ability to score goals 5 on 5 is what is holding them back.

Spacek, Gill, Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz should be more than enough to hold the fort with our strong team defense.

It freaking sucks that Campoli is already out though, I think he would have made a big difference back there.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There is not a big enough difference between Hamrlik, and a lottery pick.

Sorry man, and this is coming from a big Hamrlik fan.

Defense really is not the issue here, the team's ability to score goals 5 on 5 is what is holding them back.

Spacek, Gill, Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz should be more than enough to hold the fort with our strong team defense.

It freaking sucks that Campoli is already out though, I think he would have made a big difference back there.
Strange though. Our defense is fine as it is but Campoli, a guy NOBODY had signed on September 25th, would have make a BIG difference? Sorry, but there's tons of elements missing from our defense, starts with the lack of experience that despite their natural talent guys like Subban, Emelin, Diaz and Weber have. Starts with the lack of transition game that either experience or lack of talent is all about. Starts also with the lack of physicality of most guys back there. Starts and ends with a lot of problems. Would Hamrlik solutioned everything? Of course not. But he'd be sending a couple of guys 1 spot down and THAT's somehow a difference maker. We HAD to sign him. And if we would have done it, I can ASSURE you that most people who are defending the Habs not signing him, would have been defending the Habs for doing it.

Again, if your point is to say that there's not a lot of difference between Hamrlik and a lottery pick, I can tell you that there's not a lot, this year, a difference between everybody in that D squad, except Subban, and a lottery pick either. But sometimes it's just a matter of improving, 'cause that's your goal, and playing it safe when needed. If you want to improve this year, the org. went for the question marks year as far as the D is concerned. Geez, the only guy we had no question marks this year on D was Spacek...can you imagine? The guy EVERYBODY wanted out last year? Everybody else has their big questions mark, from sophomore jinx, to big time experience, to coming back from injuries.....Hey I could give you Gill as well in the no-question mark category....it's not like he could slow down could he?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Et le But

I'm a huge Hamrlik fan and I think we will miss him, but even if Markov misses more time than expected, between a healthy Gorges, older Subban (everyone seems to forget that the Subban of the first half the season was bad as often as he was good), and it's really not that much of a stretch to hope at least one of Emelin, Diaz and Weber will be better on the defensive side than the Wiz.

Old
10-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Reimer is ****ing garbage. Zero rebound control and couldn't track the puck at all. Luckily our offence was beyond anemic.

Reimer is a good goalie, feel free cry more if the Jets make you 0-2. You just make MTL fans look bad.

Closed Thread