HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 01:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
71 majors in 2010/11, and 73 pts

29 majors in 2011/12, and 79 pts

great success? hmmmmm.....

i'm sure Wang has a say what goes on in BP. BP having some success, and it's because Wang has no control? hmmmm...
Yeah. If you watch rather than read stats, yes. They played FAR BETTER when they hit. And hit back.

But the NHL.com line says we have to include Scott Scrotum's games in 2010/11, so I guess you win this argument. Capuano and his Overspeed!!!!

Which team is harder to play against: Capuano's in March 2011 or Capuano's in March 2012?

Old
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah. If you watch rather than read stats, yes. They played FAR BETTER when they hit. And hit back.

But the NHL.com line says we have to include Scott Scrotum's games in 2010/11, so I guess you win this argument. Capuano and his Overspeed!!!!

Which team is harder to play against: Capuano's in March 2011 or Capuano's in March 2012?
i guess each of us can have our own definition of success. to me, having more points than last year, combined with introducing some of our home-grown youth, means success.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i guess each of us can have our own definition of success. to me, having more points than last year, combined with introducing some of our home-grown youth, means success.
Yeah, but what I believe you're losing sight on is that the Capuano Isles, with how they played, went 26-29-10 with the Gorton hangover. A fresh year with that roster and he likely would have been over .500, correct? He wouldn't have to UNDO Overspeed and get them back to playing real hockey. They hit better, scored better and played better defense.

Of course, they now lack Martinek and a motivating factor like Konopka.

But the games were better. Imagine a more matured Tavares on last year's team.

Now this year's team hits less, the defense is weaker and several guys just underachieved. Was the introduction of new guys who underwhelm and old guys removed who were steady a huge factor? I would bet they were.

I could care less if our roster has home grown talent of pure Isles blood or if it were UFA's. The bottom line is not just to win but to instill a winning environment. I would bet money on last year's team doing better in the playoffs any given year over this year's. Wouldn't you? But.....we're gonna disagree as I believe you are following the long term growth of our kids and Im watching short and long term alike.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
OlTimeHockey

I guess to be blunt: the kids coming to LI HAVE TO play like the Cappy 2011 Isles and not like the Cappy 2012 Isles. The Isles need a well rounded game with heart and fight in it.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I guess to be blunt: the kids coming to LI HAVE TO play like the Cappy 2011 Isles and not like the Cappy 2012 Isles. The Isles need a well rounded game with heart and fight in it.
no argument there. i would love to see them sign a couple of gritty defencemen for the upcoming season.

Old
04-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Tonight will be the real test when they start Kenny Reiter with Thompson resting some of his regulars. The defensive game weakens here and depending on how the Penguins approach the game, we'll see if I have to come back here and defend my post.
Reiter only let in three goals, although particularly strong he was not in the highlights.

I have a real problem with the first goal Scranton scored. Reiter put his hand on the puck and then the Penguins player (MacIntyre) constantly hacked at his glove hand, ultimately pushing his arm and body into the net. The ref called it a goal.

That's just ridiculous. Not only is that extremely dangerous for the goalie's health, but if his hand is covering up the puck, the ref has to blow the play dead.

Shoddy, at best.

Halmo scored only 22 seconds in though.

Old
04-16-2012, 05:54 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Reiter only let in three goals, although particularly strong he was not in the highlights.

I have a real problem with the first goal Scranton scored. Reiter put his hand on the puck and then the Penguins player (MacIntyre) constantly hacked at his glove hand, ultimately pushing his arm and body into the net. The ref called it a goal.

That's just ridiculous. Not only is that extremely dangerous for the goalie's health, but if his hand is covering up the puck, the ref has to blow the play dead.

Shoddy, at best.

Halmo scored only 22 seconds in though.
Was at the game with my uncle(my uncle lives in the Poconos), and we agree on the first goal. The 3rd goal he gave up would have been saved by even the worst AHL goalie, bad goal. He did look good at times.

Halmo has a non stop motor, and generated several chances. As did Brock Nelson, Nelson showed defensive awareness as well, always seemed to be in the right place. Persson had a nice game as well, going to the front of the net on power plays.

My favorite Bridgeport player, besides Poulin, had a terrible game. Donovan was awful in the defensive zone, but made several nice offensive plays, including leading the rush on Brideports 2nd goal. Got the primary assist on that goal. Dibi is a pain in the ass, he will be a Rob Dimiao type, agitator with some talent.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Was at the game with my uncle(my uncle lives in the Poconos), and we agree on the first goal. The 3rd goal he gave up would have been saved by even the worst AHL goalie, bad goal. He did look good at times.

Halmo has a non stop motor, and generated several chances. As did Brock Nelson, Nelson showed defensive awareness as well, always seemed to be in the right place. Persson had a nice game as well, going to the front of the net on power plays.

My favorite Bridgeport player, besides Poulin, had a terrible game. Donovan was awful in the defensive zone, but made several nice offensive plays, including leading the rush on Brideports 2nd goal. Got the primary assist on that goal. Dibi is a pain in the ass, he will be a Rob Dimiao type, agitator with some talent.
Rob Dimaio!!! YES! Haven't seen that name in ages.

I love that Dibo, who really had problems adjusting to the AHL, has found a real role for himself as an adgitator who pops in a few goals. Maybe he can carve out a Jon Sim role for himself in the NHL - without being such a poser.

Seriously though, what I saw of Donovan in two games back around New Year's is that he is FAR from NHL-ready in a defensive capacity. Which is OK. The team should allow him to get ready down on the farm as long as is necessary, because it's clear that he has NHL possibilities alone through his other attributes. No need to rush him and risk that he ends up just taking on an MA Bergeron offensive Dman role... Get his game complete on the farm!

As for the playoffs, I am somewhat concerned about entering them
A) Without Nilsson ready to go (maybe he will be???)
B) With three franchise-important rookies just NOW getting their first taste of AHL action (Nelson, Halmo, Persson)
C) With a return on Colliton's behalf nowhere in site, 'cause I think he's the true leader on the team.
D) With Cizikas kind of having been out of action for a while and not back in the swing of things.

In general though, I am very excited about this team and it playoff chances. I see a team with toughness, grit, determination, self-confidence and a good division of roles.

I'm also hoping that either or both of Nilsson and Poulin are going into the POs with a "I'm deciding these games on my own" mentality. It's time for them to shine like Robin Lehner last spring.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
StumpNYI

So the only scenario in which Bridgeport meets Norfolk is in the conference finals correct? I am planning on going to the home games (Admirals) if it falls on a weekend.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Rob Dimaio!!! YES! Haven't seen that name in ages.

I love that Dibo, who really had problems adjusting to the AHL, has found a real role for himself as an adgitator who pops in a few goals. Maybe he can carve out a Jon Sim role for himself in the NHL - without being such a poser.

Seriously though, what I saw of Donovan in two games back around New Year's is that he is FAR from NHL-ready in a defensive capacity. Which is OK. The team should allow him to get ready down on the farm as long as is necessary, because it's clear that he has NHL possibilities alone through his other attributes. No need to rush him and risk that he ends up just taking on an MA Bergeron offensive Dman role... Get his game complete on the farm!

As for the playoffs, I am somewhat concerned about entering them
A) Without Nilsson ready to go (maybe he will be???)
B) With three franchise-important rookies just NOW getting their first taste of AHL action (Nelson, Halmo, Persson)
C) With a return on Colliton's behalf nowhere in site, 'cause I think he's the true leader on the team.
D) With Cizikas kind of having been out of action for a while and not back in the swing of things.

In general though, I am very excited about this team and it playoff chances. I see a team with toughness, grit, determination, self-confidence and a good division of roles.

I'm also hoping that either or both of Nilsson and Poulin are going into the POs with a "I'm deciding these games on my own" mentality. It's time for them to shine like Robin Lehner last spring.
Casey looked fine on Sunday.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
MissSioux85

How has Brock Nelson looked in his first four games? I see he has yet to score a point. Is he at least generating some chances?

Old
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSioux85 View Post
How has Brock Nelson looked in his first four games? I see he has yet to score a point. Is he at least generating some chances?
he is still learning the system but he has not looked out of place...getting his nose dirty...getting to the paint.. his points will come..he does however need to add at least 10 pounds of muscle during the offseason

Old
04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Sounds Tigers host the Whale tomorrow in the first round of the playoffs. I'll be there.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Sounds Tigers host the Whale tomorrow in the first round of the playoffs. I'll be there.
Itching to get my son to a game on a weekend. Unfortunately tee-ball game and parade take prescedence this Saturday.

Spring hockey starting Sunday.

Gonna be tough.

When's Game 5 (if necessary) slated and when do tix go on sale?

Old
04-18-2012, 09:23 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Itching to get my son to a game on a weekend. Unfortunately tee-ball game and parade take prescedence this Saturday.

Spring hockey starting Sunday.

Gonna be tough.

When's Game 5 (if necessary) slated and when do tix go on sale?
Not sure check the website, but you should be able to get them the day before. I got front row seats and bought them 24 hours before the game.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:33 PM
LAIslanderFan

Is there a site that streams these games? The Soundtigers have me more excited then the Islanders.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Is there a site that streams these games? The Soundtigers have me more excited then the Islanders.
Its sad but I feel the same way.....

This is the AHL version of Isles vs Rags rite?

Old
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Its sad but I feel the same way.....

This is the AHL version of Isles vs Rags rite?
It is, but in this case, the Islanders have a good chance of winning and going pretty far in the playoffs. I'm dying to see Nelson play. I have a good feeling about him.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
boredmale

Any chance Kabanov gets called up. His team lost last night and was eliminated from the playoffs.

Old
04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Any chance Kabanov gets called up. His team lost last night and was eliminated from the playoffs.
His team plays in the Memorial Cup though, so I doubt it.

By the way, Is there any way to watch the playoffs? Really want to watch it.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
His team plays in the Memorial Cup though, so I doubt it.

By the way, Is there any way to watch the playoffs? Really want to watch it.
AHLLive.com

Games cost 10 bux to watch but free to listen too.

Old
04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
seafoam

They lost 3-0 last night and played like ****. I should have expected this with the amount of key injuries. In addition their young as it is. To give a recap...

-I saw Matt Moulson and tried to say "Hi" but he didn't hear me

-Poulin played well and made some big saves, the team left him out to dry to much, very competitive though

-Nelson is BIG and used his body well to shield the puck, he went straight to the dirty areas as well, I was very impressed, I can't wait till he fills out

-Donovan did not stand out in my opinion

-I liked the way de Haan played, he's chippy on defense and is a great skater who can really move the puck well, he's got great hockey sense and focus, not NHL ready yet though

-Ness is quick, he will need more time, that high riser slapshot bothers me

-Katic I thought did okay, I think he would have been the most NHL ready if he didn't miss time due to injury

-Ullstrom is big too, NHL ready

-Cizikas was fantastic, created offensive chances all night, played in all situations.

Old
04-21-2012, 08:45 AM
StrongIslanders90

WOW....was expecting more from this group.....

Old
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
They lost 3-0 last night and played like ****. I should have expected this with the amount of key injuries. In addition their young as it is. To give a recap...

-I saw Matt Moulson and tried to say "Hi" but he didn't hear me

-Poulin played well and made some big saves, the team left him out to dry to much, very competitive though

-Nelson is BIG and used his body well to shield the puck, he went straight to the dirty areas as well, I was very impressed, I can't wait till he fills out

-Donovan did not stand out in my opinion

-I liked the way de Haan played, he's chippy on defense and is a great skater who can really move the puck well, he's got great hockey sense and focus, not NHL ready yet though

-Ness is quick, he will need more time, that high riser slapshot bothers me

-Katic I thought did okay, I think he would have been the most NHL ready if he didn't miss time due to injury

-Ullstrom is big too, NHL ready

-Cizikas was fantastic, created offensive chances all night, played in all situations.
orange parking cones are more effective than Katic Ness and Wishart..they are all the same player small and soft

Old
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
WOW....was expecting more from this group.....
they had 41 shots on goal...ness made a horrible turnover and so did katic..thats all it takes in the playoffs..hopefully they bounce back tonight

Closed Thread