HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
I just came to post that.. Saw it on twitter they were down figured the point streak would come to an end but boom they tie the game up 4-4 with 0:30 to go! Now they're in a shootout. Point streak at 11 games
I really like what Brent Thompson is doing with this club. I'd even go as far as saying, I'd love to have this guy coach the Isles. He's a really good coach.

And the Sound Tigers win in the shootout. Unbelievable comeback.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
I really like what Brent Thompson is doing with this club. I'd even go as far as saying, I'd love to have this guy coach the Isles. He's a really good coach.

And the Sound Tigers win in the shootout. Unbelievable comeback.
They are rolling man.. Keep it going maybe we'll get some post season games at the coliseum.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:19 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
And Cizikas with another 3-point night.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
And Cizikas with another 3-point night.
The development of Cizikas has been a really pleasant surprise. I think his play is a contributing factor as to why Frans does not have a contract extension yet.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:36 AM
C77

Yea Cizikas is a smart player.

He's always around the puck....as a center you'd kind of expect this and I'm not going to say "the puck finds him" like you hear a lot....but his hockey sense is pretty high.

If there's 2 players from each team battling for the puck in open ice it seems like Cizikas is the most likely of the group to come away it based on his positioning/understanding of the game, and then once he gets the puck he makes the right play.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:08 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
Neilsen would be a great third line center. Cizikas might be too.

Problem is, we need someone to be the 2nd line center. Im not comfortable slotting Strome in there yet....bailey...well..he isnt....and we sure as hell know that Snow isnt going to go out and get one.....so what do we do?
Ummm...wait?

It may be that Bailey gets there next year, or Strome has a monster off-season and comes in ready to make the team- but that's a huge jump (the biggest, really, from juniors to the NHL) and I'm not expecting this.

Interesting what Casey is doing here...kid is now 4th in rookie scoring in the AHL, and is the youngest of the top four- that is, the other three were born in 1989 or 1990...not sure how much the AHL weighs that sort of thing if the scoring is really close at the end of the year, but Cizikas will certainly get ROTY consideration if he keeps playing like he has.

More interesting to me was that Ullstrom was taking reps at centre here...perhaps Garth has sent word that the Nielsen negotiations aren't going so well? Probably not, but there's a player who could surprise as a centre option...he's big, defensively responsible, competes, and can skate like the wind. The comparisons to Nielsen were there earlier in the year (and last season even).

You can't say "...he's all Swede, no Finnish" either, with his goal production. He's certainly more of a finisher (no pun intended) than Frans, though his playmaking is wanting compared to Nielsen. That said, Frans isn't exactly lighting it up this year, and Ullstrom would appear to be a cheaper option.

Time will tell...

Old
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Gotta love what's going on in da Port.

At this point, Thompson has gotta have his name in the hat for AHL coach of the year.

To think this guy was in Alaska last season (I believe).

Old
01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
LAIslanderFan

Looking towards Bridgport's future. If Ullstrom, Cizakas and possibly Rakshani make the Islanders next year, who's eligible to play for the Soundtigers? Kabonov? Strome? I'm aware there are certain rules in place that prohibit prospects from playing in the AHL, based on age and some other issues.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Looking towards Bridgport's future. If Ullstrom, Cizakas and possibly Rakshani make the Islanders next year, who's eligible to play for the Soundtigers? Kabonov? Strome? I'm aware there are certain rules in place that prohibit prospects from playing in the AHL, based on age and some other issues.
Next year may be a really good time to be able to catch Bridgeport games. If Petrov comes over to N.A., then he and Kabanov should be a lot of fun to watch. Possibly Kichton and Lee may be there too. I doubt it, but Nelson might be there too. That's a lot of big boys playing up front.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:50 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
strome is not eligible for the ahl next year. he will be in the same situation that niederreiter is in now. he will be best off in junior but the isles will likely need his cap hit to reach the salary floor thus engaging islander fans in many go arounds about where the kid should REALLY be playing.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
strome is not eligible for the ahl next year. he will be in the same situation that niederreiter is in now. he will be best off in junior but the isles will likely need his cap hit to reach the salary floor thus engaging islander fans in many go arounds about where the kid should REALLY be playing.
It's a shame players like Nino and next year Strome aren't eligible to play in the AHL. That rule hurts the player's development. I think Nino would have been better served at Bridgeport, on the other hand, Portland would have stiffled his development, so he's kind of pushed into the NHL.

It would have been so enjoyable to see Strome playing with Kabonov.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
It's a shame players like Nino and next year Strome aren't eligible to play in the AHL. That rule hurts the player's development. I think Nino would have been better served at Bridgeport, on the other hand, Portland would have stiffled his development, so he's kind of pushed into the NHL.

It would have been so enjoyable to see Strome playing with Kabonov.
it would be nice if they worked one exception into that rule per team per year into the next CBA....

Old
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

It should also be pointed out that the two points push the Stigers past the Whale for first in the division.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
If Frans is looking for $3 million a season, he's going to be traded...especially after not improving this season, and not lifting Grabner out of his funk (or is it the other way around?).

Regardless, Snow will be reluctant to pay more than $2 million average salary to what appears to be a player who has hit his ceiling...15 goals and 30 assists does not get you $3 million bucks...especially if you're an averaged sized soft centre who struggles in the face-off dot.

Cizikas should get a cup or two at the end of the season.

Cup of joe, that is.

Short of Frans going in the tank or getting injured, he's getting at least 2 million as a UFA this offseason. There's always a demand for a defensive-minded center who can play in all situations. Besides have you seen the numbers handed out to UFAs the last few offseasons? Bergenheim is making nearly 3 million/year himself. Nielsen is at least Bergenheim and I think significantly better regardless of his subpar year this year.

Add on top of that that this offseason from our cap we lose about 17 MILLION form our potential UFAs and we are going to have to spend on a handful players (since we're NOT getting the top guys like Suter/Weber/etc.) to get to the cap floor by next season.

Nielsen is a decent player, likes it here, and I assume management likes him. He's a certain candidate to be offered at least a one year 2.5 million deal and I'd much rather have that than the 2nd/3rd round pick we'd get for him in a deadline deal.

Old
01-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Nielsen is a decent player, likes it here, and I assume management likes him. He's a certain candidate to be offered at least a one year 2.5 million deal and I'd much rather have that than the 2nd/3rd round pick we'd get for him in a deadline deal.
Indeed, if Snow really plans with him, then he's getting a contract that will be above Bailey and likely not far off from Grabner and Okposo.

He's arguably much more important than Grabner.

As for next year, I'm thinking the Islanders will be looking to add Kabanov, Kichton, Pedan, Persson, Lee and Sundstrom to the system, as in Bridgeport. Who knows, maybe something will happen with Trivino as well.

Old
01-30-2012, 06:02 AM
IslesNorway

I think Nielsen is looking for a long term deal ala the one he signed four years ago, when he took the years instead of the money. However, there might be other teams out there willing to give him that long term deal whereas the Islanders might be a little hesitant considering they've got Cizikas coming through and might see more potential in him than Frans.

I don' think Frans will sign a one year or two year deal here as he might very well get more elsewhere, so the question is if they'll be better off trading him?

Old
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Ummm...wait?

It may be that Bailey gets there next year, or Strome has a monster off-season and comes in ready to make the team- but that's a huge jump (the biggest, really, from juniors to the NHL) and I'm not expecting this.

Interesting what Casey is doing here...kid is now 4th in rookie scoring in the AHL, and is the youngest of the top four- that is, the other three were born in 1989 or 1990...not sure how much the AHL weighs that sort of thing if the scoring is really close at the end of the year, but Cizikas will certainly get ROTY consideration if he keeps playing like he has.

More interesting to me was that Ullstrom was taking reps at centre here...perhaps Garth has sent word that the Nielsen negotiations aren't going so well? Probably not, but there's a player who could surprise as a centre option...he's big, defensively responsible, competes, and can skate like the wind. The comparisons to Nielsen were there earlier in the year (and last season even).

You can't say "...he's all Swede, no Finnish" either, with his goal production. He's certainly more of a finisher (no pun intended) than Frans, though his playmaking is wanting compared to Nielsen. That said, Frans isn't exactly lighting it up this year, and Ullstrom would appear to be a cheaper option.

Time will tell...

Ullstrom is a natural center

Old
01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
Ullstrom is a natural center
Gold star!

So far, in North America, from a personnel pov that hasn't been the case (and that's including the WJC where I saw him play live...he was used as a left wing there, just as it has been with the Islanders, and in some instances with Bridgeport).

If you look back to my posts from, say, 20 months ago, I have him pencilled in as as our eventual fourth line centre...but thanks for coming out.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Gold star!

So far, in North America, from a personnel pov that hasn't been the case (and that's including the WJC where I saw him play live...he was used as a left wing there, just as it has been with the Islanders, and in some instances with Bridgeport).

If you look back to my posts from, say, 20 months ago, I have him pencilled in as as our eventual fourth line centre...but thanks for coming out.
well the 40 games in bport last season he was at center..but hell what do i know..they switched him over the summer in bport...i agree that he could be a fourth center

Old
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

For those who are interested, the AHL All Star Game is being aired on MSG+.

Old
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
TheIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
For those who are interested, the AHL All Star Game is being aired on MSG+.
awesome i wanna get a look at cizikas

goal for him so far

Last edited by TheIslesFan: 01-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old
01-31-2012, 10:57 PM
TheIslesFan

Not sure where to post this but, does anyone know if it is discussed for the new CBA for players to be able to enter the AHL sooner. It would be awesome if we were able to have Strome and whomever our next first rounder is develop in the AHL.

Is the reason the age limit is in place for the CHL league's benefit?

Old
02-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
Is the reason the age limit is in place for the CHL league's benefit?
Exactly.

In fact, it is solely in place for their benefit.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:42 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Short of Frans going in the tank or getting injured, he's getting at least 2 million as a UFA this offseason. There's always a demand for a defensive-minded center who can play in all situations. Besides have you seen the numbers handed out to UFAs the last few offseasons? Bergenheim is making nearly 3 million/year himself. Nielsen is at least Bergenheim and I think significantly better regardless of his subpar year this year.

Add on top of that that this offseason from our cap we lose about 17 MILLION form our potential UFAs and we are going to have to spend on a handful players (since we're NOT getting the top guys like Suter/Weber/etc.) to get to the cap floor by next season.

Plus he helps win games in shootouts.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
SthlmNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
it would be nice if they worked one exception into that rule per team per year into the next CBA....
That's actually a very sound idea.

Closed Thread