HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

"How To Fix The New York Islanders"

Old
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
"How To Fix The New York Islanders"

I'm not sure if anyone has read articles from this site but i thought was some interesting stuff in this article as well as most of our feelings here..

http://thehockeywriters.com/how-to-f...ork-islanders/

Trade Kyle Okposo

"He wears an A on his jersey, so he can be a leader, but it’s just not working in this organization. It would be doing Okposo a favor to give him a fresh start somewhere new."

I mentioned this a few times in the KO thread i started.

New Coach

"We’re into Jack Capuano’s third season now, and there hasn’t been much improvement, aside from the Tavares maturation. Capuano hasn’t been able to get consistency out of this team, and a lot of these players we needed to blossom by now"

Find a new GM to finish the Rebuild

"He’s filled holes each season by over paying for lesser free agents and snagging whatever he can off waivers, but aside from drafting Tavares, which was a no brainer at number 1 at the time, he hasn’t done enough"

I disagree with this

Buy Out Dipietro

"They should sit him for good and let either Kevin Poulin or Anders Nilsson back up Nabokov."

Basically shop around all of the core accept Tavares.

"Time to hit reset, for the sake of John Tavares, for the sake of the fans who still want to see this team compete night in and night out."

I'm not sure if this guy reads the HF boards but if he doesn't then he feels what almost every poster here does.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Isn't great that there are literally thousands of people who know what to do to help turn this franchise around and agree on almost everything.. Yet the few knuckleheads in charge are completely oblivious?

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Islander102

Not to disparage the writer or anything, but couldn't literally anyone have written that? It basically says to change every single thing about the organization except for their elite franchise center. You really don't need to know a single thing about hockey to come up with that conclusion after watching how this organization goes about it's business for about 5 minutes.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
I'd suggest do everything you can to have Wang fired. Man has done nothing to improve your team except to put all the weight on Tavares' shoulders.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:34 PM
PJGooch

All due respect to the author of that column, but the only thing to be taken away from that piece is that just because you write on a site called The Hockey Writers doesn't mean you're a hockey writer.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:37 PM
lacunacoil777

#1 Dopietro n Wang are family. This Dopietro stuff goes back years to Nolan playing Dubie, to roleson having to sit because of dipietros friendship with Wang.

#2 nobody will take okiposos backloaded contract under any circumstance.

#3 a new coach can't win with dipietros save %. Crosby n Malkin wouldn't get this team to the playoffs with dipietros save %. Plus they won't pay 2 coaches in one season.

#4. The losing is no sweat to this organization. They embrace failure.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Hipietro

"Shop around all of the core accept Tavares."

Dude can't even speak English

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
"Shop around all of the core accept Tavares."

Dude can't even speak English

Well Jeff is a writer of short stories, screenplays, comics, and plays. He's also a filmmaker, and a mens division 4 ice hockey goalie in Los Angeles, California. Originally from New York, he is a life long Islanders fan and excited to see them move to Brooklyn in 2015!

So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
All due respect to the author of that column, but the only thing to be taken away from that piece is that just because you write on a site called The Hockey Writers doesn't mean you're a hockey writer.
I wanna be a hockey writer - wait, I AM a hockey writer !!

And I'll write this:

The Isles are NOT far away from being a good hockey team. They have a core of very good hockey players: Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner, Cizikas, Martin, Ullstrom, Hamonic, Streit, MacDonald, Strait, Visnovsky, Nabokov.

They need to re-sign all these guys (that may walk) and hope that Strome, Nino, deHaan can make a jump next year....BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY,

They need to bring in THREE excellent hockey players, two forwards and one dman. They will likely make a lot of money and cost some players or, most likely, prospects and cap space (CASH TOO)

If all these guys (except Tavares) move down a line, play a little less, are relied upon a bit less, are surrounded by better players, suddenly this team is DRASTICALLY improved.

They also need a real coach and a real GM for two reasons. 1) respect from the players (existing and potential players) 2) show a franchise commitment to winning, this also helps draw top talent and creates a culture of change, desperately needed in this organization.

It's that simple. No mass fire sales.

Players like Ryan O'Reilly can rapidly improve this team, but they COST (money and prospects). And there are other players out there that make a lot of money that other teams might need to dump.

But for now, it's still trying to find gems in the garbage while hoping Cappy can extract blood from these stones - recipe for lotto-disaster and as predictable as a Three's Company episode. "accept" I hate these endings.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I didn't post this to show how great the writer was/is but more to show what Bunk mentioned, which is how can everyone other then Wang not see it? Again as a few of you mentioned "it's so obvious" but yet it says tons about how little our ownership knows.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Isles Junkie

I don't agree with trading everyone in the core. But there should be a few guys in the core that shouldn't be here.

You just can't have a top 6 this soft. Nielsen gets things done defensively, so I don't mind that he doesn't throw a ton of body checks. I'll even give Grabner a break because he works hard on the PK (though he's kind of a floater 5 on 5). But what is Moulson, Boyes, Okposo & Baileys excuse here? Of those 4 players Bailey is by far the most physical, and he's barely physical at all.

All of these guys are NHL players, and they might all even be top 6 players on a lot of NHL clubs. But they don't fit together here. You can carry a soft Okposo if you have Dustin Brown on the other side of the ice (yes i realize they're both RWs). You can accept a defensively invisible Moulson if Correy Perry is on the other side helping JT out.

But when you have your top 2 lines where there's just no physical presence, and the only defensive presence are JT, Nielsen and some days Okposo, it's impossible to win in this league.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
LotteryForLife*

Yeah. I agree with pretty much all of that

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:17 AM
DVon Du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Well Jeff is a writer of short stories, screenplays, comics, and plays. He's also a filmmaker, and a mens division 4 ice hockey goalie in Los Angeles, California. Originally from New York, he is a life long Islanders fan and excited to see them move to Brooklyn in 2015!

So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.
And I was like, HEY LAMAAAAA!!!

Sorry, I saw that and had to post. Anyway, I like the what our writer said above. Don't like the whole trade the core nonsense

DVon Du Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:00 AM
xECK29x

Hire a GM to finish the rebuild and blow it all up? This guy is an idiot.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
I'd suggest do everything you can to have Wang fired. Man has done nothing to improve your team except to put all the weight on Tavares' shoulders.
You can't fire an owner. He's the one that does the firing.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Bmessy

What would you guys value Okposo at? Really dont know.
Looking from a B's perspective. Maybe Johnny Boychuk? Ferrence+? Just curious

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Dan-o16

Yeah, the article is ridiculous. I'm with Red Bull - here's a better way to fix the Isles. I realize it's pie in the sky and just as unrealistic as the original article. That said, if you're going to be unrealistic, better to be good unrealistic instead of bad unrealistic.

1. Sign Corey Perry or Nathan Horton (b/u option, Ryan Clowe)
2. Sign Rob Scuderi or Robin Regehr
3. Trade for Jonathan Bernier (Okposo +)
4. Sign some physical depth forwards (Fedetotenko?)
5. Resign Streit in a reduced role.
6. Attempt to resign Visnovsky in a reduced role.
7. Draft the best player available.
8. Send DP to Bridgeport for good until he hangs 'em up. Or send him home, whatever.

then...

Work to slot in Strome, Nino, and Donovan next year. Give Brock and Griff another year.

Next year would be a little painful, but the pains would actually be growing pains, and we'd finally have some veteran leadership.

Moulson-JT-Perry/Horton
Bailey-Strome-Nino
Fedetotenko-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom

Hamonic-MacDonald
Scuderi-Visnovsky
Streit-Donovan
Carkner

Bernier
Poulin

It might not be a playoff team, but it would be a much more intersting team that would build some momentum and take the pressure off of the young guys a bit.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

My take...

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/hyedray/49776/

Bottom line summery...focuses on forwards

I did not address the blueline — but the reality is that retaining Streit makes some sense. The Islanders do nothave a legit top pair at all. Hamonic and Amac are in over their head. They are suited as #3-#4 players, not top pair.

Buying out DiPietro? If it makes financial sense — where I pay him only a percentage of his salary fine. Then I can save some money long term. If not —*place him on waivers and let him wrap it up in BPort.

Yes we need a head coach, but I disagree with who would or would not come here. There are 30 NHL head coaching job — ONLY 30. These guys are NHL coaches. And assuming the contract is right in terms and dollars, any number of proven, even cup winning coaches will take on the Islanders. That includes Ruff and Crawford. (Yes, I know Ruff is not a Cup winner, but he is a solid NHL coach)

Lastly — and most important — none of the above will happen. Snow is not trading anyone. I like how he has drafted, and I like some of his signings. But the he has not been able to make a real "hockey deal" in his tenure. By "real" I mean the kind of deal that would take from a position of strength (forwards/centers) and deal for a bonafide top pair defender or even a goalie — one that is young, and be a part of this team not just a few years, but 10-12 seasons...

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
My take...

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/hyedray/49776/

Bottom line summery...focuses on forwards

I did not address the blueline — but the reality is that retaining Streit makes some sense. The Islanders do nothave a legit top pair at all. Hamonic and Amac are in over their head. They are suited as #3-#4 players, not top pair.

Buying out DiPietro? If it makes financial sense — where I pay him only a percentage of his salary fine. Then I can save some money long term. If not —*place him on waivers and let him wrap it up in BPort.

Yes we need a head coach, but I disagree with who would or would not come here. There are 30 NHL head coaching job — ONLY 30. These guys are NHL coaches. And assuming the contract is right in terms and dollars, any number of proven, even cup winning coaches will take on the Islanders. That includes Ruff and Crawford. (Yes, I know Ruff is not a Cup winner, but he is a solid NHL coach)

Lastly — and most important — none of the above will happen. Snow is not trading anyone. I like how he has drafted, and I like some of his signings. But the he has not been able to make a real "hockey deal" in his tenure. By "real" I mean the kind of deal that would take from a position of strength (forwards/centers) and deal for a bonafide top pair defender or even a goalie — one that is young, and be a part of this team not just a few years, but 10-12 seasons...
I agree with your whole post, except for the bold part.

He did accomplish a deal (albeit) for a older quality leader / player in Smyth. The issue has and will always be the TEAM and OWNERSHIP.

Until OWNERSHIP (Wang) is gone and the TEAM (ISLANDERS) are in Brooklyn, nothing will change.

We shall stay in a rut until probably the offseason prior to the move (I and many hope).

Strome18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
think his point that Snow's never pulled a deal of a legit NHL player for a legit NHL player. We got Smyth for a bunch of prospects/picks, and all of Snow's other deals have been shipping picks for players (Wis, Vis, etc.) or marginal players for picks/prospects (Roloson, Rolston, etc.)

Snow's never done a LaFontaine for Turgeon, Hogue, and Krupp type deal, or hell, even a Hodgson for Kassian type deal. I'm not sure he's capable of it.(Trent Hunter for Rolston doesnt count, that was almost as bad a cap motivated move as the Tim Thomas deal)

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
think his point that Snow's never pulled a deal of a legit NHL player for a legit NHL player. We got Smyth for a bunch of prospects/picks, and all of Snow's other deals have been shipping picks for players (Wis, Vis, etc.) or marginal players for picks/prospects (Roloson, Rolston, etc.)

Snow's never done a LaFontaine for Turgeon, Hogue, and Krupp type deal, or hell, even a Hodgson for Kassian type deal. I'm not sure he's capable of it.(Trent Hunter for Rolston doesnt count, that was almost as bad a cap motivated move as the Tim Thomas deal)
Wait doesn't that require an approval from Mr. Wang (on a Lafontaine type of acquisition)?

In regard, Kassian type deal, I do not think Isles management team is sure of what type of players they have. Bailey will be the first to go but what is his value? He has not produced? We are out of the playoff race but many expect Snow to trade assets by this trading deadline because of the unproductive assets he has acquired.

Strome18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

never believe you can't be a Gm for a hockey team..because obviously any of us could..

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:26 AM
kasper11

How to fix the Isles...

1) Open up the wallet for better players and a real coach.

Done. You cannot win with a minor league coach and a roster 25% under the cap floor.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
MikeT98213

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wanna be a hockey writer - wait, I AM a hockey writer !!

And I'll write this:

The Isles are NOT far away from being a good hockey team. They have a core of very good hockey players: Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner, Cizikas, Martin, Ullstrom, Hamonic, Streit, MacDonald, Strait, Visnovsky, Nabokov.

They need to re-sign all these guys (that may walk) and hope that Strome, Nino, deHaan can make a jump next year....BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY,

They need to bring in THREE excellent hockey players, two forwards and one dman. They will likely make a lot of money and cost some players or, most likely, prospects and cap space (CASH TOO)

If all these guys (except Tavares) move down a line, play a little less, are relied upon a bit less, are surrounded by better players, suddenly this team is DRASTICALLY improved.

They also need a real coach and a real GM for two reasons. 1) respect from the players (existing and potential players) 2) show a franchise commitment to winning, this also helps draw top talent and creates a culture of change, desperately needed in this organization.

It's that simple. No mass fire sales.
First, I don't agree that all of the players cited above are "very good" players...at least there are several that have yet to prove that they can be much more than 3rd or 4th liners. Even if they have the ability, the chemistry doesn't work. We are seriously lacking size particularly on the blueline where forwards continue to work down low and crash the crease with impunity.

We tend to overvalue our players as most fans do...what have Okposo and Bailey done to justify their being categorized as "very good?" Take away the last 9 games of last season and Okposo has scored a total of 21 goals in 124 games covering the last 2 1/2 seasons. Is that very good production? Does the rest of his game suggest he's anything more than a 3rd or 4th line player?

Our defense is just not NHL caliber. Hamonic is the only high end defenseman that will be here next season (I'm not advocating to bring Streit back). Only AMac of the rest are even league average.

Goaltending is also a serious concern. Nabokov is slightly above average and RDP is simply pathetic. We need a true #1 goaltender...a guy who can steal some games. With our popgun offense we have to have well above average goaltending.

Unfortunately, we have little to look forward to for next season to address defense or goaltending. DeHaan can't ever be counted on. The shoulder is a serious issue which will very likely curtail his career. He'll probably be our new Martinek...a nice player who just can't stay on the ice. Both Donavan and Ness have had inconsistent seasons at Bridgeport and both will likely need additional time to develop. In goal, both Poulin and Nilsson have struggled...perhaps even regressed from last season.

Snow preaches patience...how dare he preach patience to a fan base that has had to suffer the likes of him, his bunch of low budget, amateur coaches, his waiver wire frenzy and deadline deals for more draft picks that just further delay our ability to contend.

Does anyone really think that ALL of our prospects are going to be solid NHL players and they will all grow together into a contender? The odds of that are astronomical considering that most prospects never develop as expected. Hell, high #1 picks such as Okposo and Bailey have not lived up to their draft day hype. I guess the players we haven't seen yet always look better than those we have.

The entire management team simply needs to go. Wang needs to sell, Snow and Capuano need to be fired and a real hockey man needs to be hired to run the operation. I respect that Columbus finally came to that conclusion when they hired JD and he, in turn, hired Kekalainen to oversee the operation. Watch them turn that hapless franchise around while we still wait for the rebuild.

MikeT98213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Simple. Get a new owner, new GM, and hire Lindy Ruff. But, we know that would be a good move so the isles won't do it.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote