HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
EA sports NHL franchise play by play.......

"Rick DiPetro might be the most athetic guy in the NHL, have you seen him on the beach? Man he's riped" haha

Hope they took that out of the game

Old
10-21-2012, 01:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

"ripped?"

"I thought it was only a mild tear."

Old
10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Welcomen zu Bier & Brattworst nacht mit Rick "souerbratten" DiPietro.

(no I do not know German, hah)

Old
10-22-2012, 03:31 AM
LeapOnOver

I think Rick is one of the few NHLer's, if not the only one, who is being watched like a hawk during his European stint. This could possibly directly affect his opportunity to get a shot at having even a chance to make an appearance for the Isles if and when the season starts back up. A poor performance after a long stint in this German league and I have no problems if Rick is relegated to Bridgeport for a lengthy period of time and if there is no turnaround I won't have a problem with him being buried there for the rest of his career or the team cutting ties with him if the opportunity presents itself.

It is a business and in no way do I blame Rick for what happened and I also don't think he's being selfish. The guy tried and unfortunately he won't be the first nor the last to succumb to career ending injuries. I don't blame Bossy for his back and I don't blame B. Lindros for his concussions I sure as hell won't blame DP.

Still rooting for the guy but I won't make up any excuses for him if he does poorly in this German league....

Old
10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I think Rick is one of the few NHLer's, if not the only one, who is being watched like a hawk during his European stint. This could possibly directly affect his opportunity to get a shot at having even a chance to make an appearance for the Isles if and when the season starts back up. A poor performance after a long stint in this German leagu

To people really believe this? Of course he will play for us.

And Lindros and Bossy went away, Rickety doesn't go away.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I think Rick is one of the few NHLer's, if not the only one, who is being watched like a hawk during his European stint. This could possibly directly affect his opportunity to get a shot at having even a chance to make an appearance for the Isles if and when the season starts back up. A poor performance after a long stint in this German league and I have no problems if Rick is relegated to Bridgeport for a lengthy period of time and if there is no turnaround I won't have a problem with him being buried there for the rest of his career or the team cutting ties with him if the opportunity presents itself.

It is a business and in no way do I blame Rick for what happened and I also don't think he's being selfish. The guy tried and unfortunately he won't be the first nor the last to succumb to career ending injuries. I don't blame Bossy for his back and I don't blame B. Lindros for his concussions I sure as hell won't blame DP.

Still rooting for the guy but I won't make up any excuses for him if he does poorly in this German league....
In addition to this, I'm actually wondering if he himself is going to be taking these experiences he's currently having in Germany's 2nd league to honestly measure where he's truly at and what level of capability he truly possesses, or doesn't?

He's currently playing for the league's worst team while Jonathan Bernier is, for example, 1-2 with a 3.01 GAA for one of the league's better teams, but we've got to be really honest here - this is basically mid-ECHL level hockey. The game in this league is really quite raw and the league is not exactly filled with a boatload of snipers - nor with particularly sound Dmen and defensive structures.
Throughout time, a number of guys have come from US or Candian colleges or the ECHL/CHL/UHL/etc. and become big, big stars in this league.

Now, it's hard to measure what the NHLers are really investing into their games overseas now and how much they really care about their repective teams or achievements, but purely from a level-of-play standpoint, one would think that an NHL goalie would be winning games on his own at a regular clip in this league.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Now, it's hard to measure what the NHLers are really investing into their games overseas now and how much they really care about their repective teams or achievements, but purely from a level-of-play standpoint, one would think that an NHL goalie would be winning games on his own at a regular clip in this league.
For argument sake if the team defense as a whole is worse, the players probably get much better opportunities to score. So even if players are less skilled offensively, they do get better chances to score.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For argument sake if the team defense as a whole is worse, the players probably get much better opportunities to score. So even if players are less skilled offensively, they do get better chances to score.
This is true.

I can imagine that it's actually quite the challenge for goalies, especially those used to a tighter style of defensive play.

In a way, you're kind of setting yourself up for a bit of disaster by playing in these lower leagues that are a lot more similar to a shinny match where checking is allowed.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In addition to this, I'm actually wondering if he himself is going to be taking these experiences he's currently having in Germany's 2nd league to honestly measure where he's truly at and what level of capability he truly possesses, or doesn't?

He's currently playing for the league's worst team while Jonathan Bernier is, for example, 1-2 with a 3.01 GAA for one of the league's better teams, but we've got to be really honest here - this is basically mid-ECHL level hockey. The game in this league is really quite raw and the league is not exactly filled with a boatload of snipers - nor with particularly sound Dmen and defensive structures.
Throughout time, a number of guys have come from US or Candian colleges or the ECHL/CHL/UHL/etc. and become big, big stars in this league.

I don't think anybody, even the ones who truly hate DP have ever questioned his compete level. For sure he is taking this seriously like he does probably when he steps out on the ice for a pickup game. The guy is intense and I'm sure he is going to compete at his highest level. The question is just how high that level is now. He is definitely being watched.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The Isles need his cap hit to make the floor. Unless the CBA changes in this regard, I doubt he goes to Bridgeport. Besides, all he can do in the AHL is steal development time from the young goalies in the system.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The Isles need his cap hit to make the cap floor.
This would only be a valid excuse in Islander country. No other team would keep him around, cap floor or not.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShuckWangGoAway View Post
This would only be a valid excuse in Islander country. No other team would keep him around, cap floor or not.
Well, yeah. That was my point.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The Isles need his cap hit to make the floor. Unless the CBA changes in this regard, I doubt he goes to Bridgeport. Besides, all he can do in the AHL is steal development time from the young goalies in the system.
Imagine what Wang would have done with no cap floor.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
More like 6 year sample size.
it's incredibly hard to get back into a groove when you miss so much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShuckWangGoAway View Post
Two games? You're an isles fan, right? You do watch the 8-10 times a year he plays? The guy is as useless as boobs on a bull.
if small sample sizes are allowed...

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010020546

Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
it's incredibly hard to get back into a groove when you miss so much time

if small sample sizes are allowed...

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010020546
So Mick Vukota should contend for the Art Ross? He has a three goal period, so I use a 20 minute sample size.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
So Mick Vukota should contend for the Art Ross? He has a three goal period, so I use a 20 minute sample size.
He also had a hard time getting into a groove since he only got 4th line minutes after that.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
blitzkriegs

If the NHL loses the season, Nabokov might be toast the following season. Something to think about...

Old
10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
If the NHL loses the season, Nabokov might be toast the following season. Something to think about...
I'm thinking about Poulin or Nilsson and a different vet back-up who can help impart wisdom.

Moving into a new building, finally on the cusp of possibly functioning like a big market team, now isn't the time to chance it.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he stayed in Europe even longer than the lockout on loan just to get his game back.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Big deal, Veteran goalies are a dime a dozen in the NHL. We can get Marty Turco for cheap. Aging goalies is what the Islanders specialize and with Poulin and Nilsson getting another year warming up in Bridgeport its time for a promotion and let them carry the heavy load with a vet as a backup. Goalies are 1 thing this team does not need to worry about.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Operation!

I saw that the other day and was wondering if Law ever made a Rick DP version of "Operation"?

(If he did, I missed it.)

Old
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Bexlyspeed

The Rick Injured in Germany

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ermany-already

Old
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Old
11-04-2012, 07:00 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
Oh lord, like this was unexpected. I've never questioned Ricky's desire and dedication to the Isles, but for his own good... hang the skates up man. If nothing more than for your future quality of life. It's a really sad situation all around.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Oh lord, like this was unexpected. I've never questioned Ricky's desire and dedication to the Isles, but for his own good... hang the skates up man. If nothing more than for your future quality of life. It's a really sad situation all around.
I like the Rick, i think he gets a lot of flack from the fans, its unfair, but if you cant string together more than 2 games in a row its time to hang them up. this is what the 3rd or 4th year in a row that he was injured early?

its a shame, he did have a lot of talent and could have been a pretty good goalkeeper, his body just cant take it, and i think there was a sprinkle of that islanders bad luck mixed in

Old
11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
LeapOnOver

Just amazing...yup, maybe it is time to throw in the towel and move over to the broadcasting side. Can't see why he would though at this point he wants to make sure he gets paid and he didnt' force the Isles to offer him a big contract. With the chance of a buyout he'd be stupid to retire before he gets paid.

Closed Thread