HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
He has to start thinking about his children & grandchildren & whether or not he'd like to play with them.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Didn't see this coming.

I've alwas liked Rick. He really loves playing and wants to come back and prove he can still play. The truth is body isn't strong enough to continue. Can't help but to feel bad for him at this point. Something needs to be done about this.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Just amazing...yup, maybe it is time to throw in the towel and move over to the broadcasting side. Can't see why he would though at this point he wants to make sure he gets paid and he didnt' force the Isles to offer him a big contract. With the chance of a buyout he'd be stupid to retire before he gets paid.
Yeah, that's the big issue. I haven't heard much about the mythical Amnesty Clause in the contentious CBA negotiation, but I hope Ricky and the Isles work something out. I mean seriously, it's not funny anymore no matter how you feel about Ricky.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Just amazing...yup, maybe it is time to throw in the towel and move over to the broadcasting side. Can't see why he would though at this point he wants to make sure he gets paid and he didnt' force the Isles to offer him a big contract. With the chance of a buyout he'd be stupid to retire before he gets paid.
No doubt he wants his $, but I really don't believe that is what drives him. I think he believes somewhere deep down, he can still be that all star caliber goalie. I also think that he really does love the Isles & Charles Wang and wants to play well for them. Sure the $ is great too, but I don't think that's what keeps him from hanging them up.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:47 PM
JKP

In theory, the Isles can suspend him and maybe even void his contract for this.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408578

"Section 14 of the SPC provides that a team may terminate a player's contract if the player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach" his contract.

So if a player suffers a career ending injury while playing abroad and that player therefore fails to deliver his services, a team could rely on Section 14 to cut him (or terminate his contract). If the team successfully terminates the contract, it wouldn't have to pay out what's left on the player's contract.

What if a player gets hurt playing overseas and misses some of the NHL season but is ultimately able to come back and play? In keeping with Section 5 of the SPC, a team can suspend him without pay until he's ready to play."

Old
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post

"Section 14 of the SPC provides that a team may terminate a player's contract if the player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach" his contract.

So if a player suffers a career ending injury while playing abroad and that player therefore fails to deliver his services, a team could rely on Section 14 to cut him (or terminate his contract). If the team successfully terminates the contract, it wouldn't have to pay out what's left on the player's contract.

What if a player gets hurt playing overseas and misses some of the NHL season but is ultimately able to come back and play? In keeping with Section 5 of the SPC, a team can suspend him without pay until he's ready to play."
You're kidding yourself if you think Wang would ever do that to Ricky.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He has to start thinking about his children & grandchildren & whether or not he'd like to play with them.
Play?
How about just walk with them?

Old
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Oh lord, like this was unexpected. I've never questioned Ricky's desire and dedication to the Isles, but for his own good... hang the skates up man. If nothing more than for your future quality of life. It's a really sad situation all around.
It really is like Groundhog Day with Ricky. If this really is a new era in Isles history they MUST do something about getting rid of him.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
leaponover

Quote:

Yeah, this isn't going to happen at this stage in the game but at some point Isles management is going to get just as frustrated as some of the fans here. I mean Shawn Bates was on the roster for a few years getting paid and not playing before he finally hung them up. DP is going to have to make a decision at some point or things will definitely get contentious between him and management. I know from a business stand point they respect him trying to get better and play for the team but getting injured often will start to make even your work ethic come into question. I would never doubt his work ethic but it is just human nature.

Imagine the office worker who has to get chemo and misses a lot of work. You know it's not their fault they have cancer but after awhile them not being around enough will weigh on your humanity and you may start to resent the person even though they did nothing wrong. It's different in hockey though as his teammates are not relying on him as much like they would in an office where somebody has to do your job. In hockey these guys are chomping at the bit to do somebody else's job. Wish there was more of an update on how serious it is but nobody ever judges that with a groin injury...

Old
11-05-2012, 01:07 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Brutal. Gotta' feel bad for Ricky but I think this is the breaking point, I just hope something is worked out so we don't have to end up paying him 2 million on our cap for the next 20 years or so.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:28 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I wouldn't say never. Rick's already made 20+M from Wang and will be OK. Wang's a business guy and he gets the contract is not great, I'm sure. He allowed Yashin to be bought out.

It's one thing to force him to be played because you're stuck paying him. It's another thing to pay a guy 40M (or whatever he's got left) to not play just because he's your 'pal' when you have an out.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:31 AM
JKP

Quote:
Imagine the office worker who has to get chemo and misses a lot of work. You know it's not their fault they have cancer but after awhile them not being around enough will weigh on your humanity and you may start to resent the person even though they did nothing wrong. It's different in hockey though as his teammates are not relying on him as much like they would in an office where somebody has to do your job. In hockey these guys are chomping at the bit to do somebody else's job. Wish there was more of an update on how serious it is but nobody ever judges that with a groin injury...
The other dif in your analogy is the office worker likely needs to work, esp if he has a lot of medical bills. DP has already made ~20M off his deal and will never need to work again in his life. Voiding his deal isn't going to create an undue hardship in his life.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
redbull
Expect more

what a unique situation this kid is in. It's astounding the amount of, and severity of, setbacks this guy's enduring and to get hurt, during a lockout, while playing men's league level hockey in Germany is picture-perfect.

There have been far better players than DiPietro retire with far fewer medical issues....but none had the lifetime contract.

I'm in favour of shorter contracts in the NHL, generally speaking. I think it's good for the players and the owners, though a tough one to negotiate on and define, I suppose.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

this is chronically sad.
sad for dp- please just hang em up man. you cannot play "semi-pro" hockey, let alone nhl hockey. it's sad to watch. there's no happy ending with a stanley cup here unless he somehow, someday many years into the future, can coach a team to that kind of greatness- and i just don't see that coming from him.

sad for the isles fans who want a fresh start, who want to be able to spend to the cap floor w/o this albatross of a contract, who want to see progress w/o fear of obvious and expected setback.... sad sad sad.

ps- that area where he is now is absolutely beautiful. really an idyllic setting to play some hockey. those are the alps between germany and switzerland. kind of like a storybook setting for the putting to pasture of rick dp. fitting somehow.

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 11-05-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added a ps
Old
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
25yearfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
this is chronically sad.
sad for dp- please just hang em up man. you cannot play "semi-pro" hockey, let alone nhl hockey. it's sad to watch. there's no happy ending with a stanley cup here unless he somehow, someday many years into the future, can coach a team to that kind of greatness- and i just don't see that coming from him.

sad for the isles fans who want a fresh start, who want to be able to spend to the cap floor w/o this albatross of a contract, who want to see progress w/o fear of obvious and expected setback.... sad sad sad.

ps- that area where he is now is absolutely beautiful. really an idyllic setting to play some hockey. those are the alps between germany and switzerland. kind of like a storybook setting for the putting to pasture of rick dp. fitting somehow.
The hills are alive
With the sound of rehab....

Old
11-05-2012, 01:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The other dif in your analogy is the office worker likely needs to work, esp if he has a lot of medical bills. DP has already made ~20M off his deal and will never need to work again in his life. Voiding his deal isn't going to create an undue hardship in his life.
good haircare and related products do not come cheap, my friend.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
What about Mikhail or Brett?

Old
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
leaponover

Quote:
So that's why so many ex players get jobs even after they retire? Even though they can "never have to work a day in their life" anymore. I'm not saying he hasn't made a lot of money but most players live within their means and probably don't save as much as they should. A chunk goes to their agent, and taxes... Not saying he isn't rich, don't get me wrong, but there are a long list of players in all sports that are bankrupt after making millions for one reason or another. DP seems like he'd be more responsible than that but i'm not going to guess like you are...

Old
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

One twisted bonus of the lockout is that Rick can't lose games for the Islanders, waste a roster spot, or rob the internal team salary cap of $4 mill while Wang backfills with insurance money. He is basically playing in far-west Bridgeport while testing out his lower extremes.

Recover or break further, as mercenary as that may sound, is about all we can hope for. Hopefully this season will be his last and he will hang them up for good. Hopefully Chuck will put his money where his mouth is and put that $4 million to real use, not just back in his pocket.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:06 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
One twisted bonus of the lockout is that Rick can't lose games for the Islanders, waste a roster spot, or rob the internal team salary cap of $4 mill while Wang backfills with insurance money. He is basically playing in far-west Bridgeport while testing out his lower extremes.

Recover or break further, as mercenary as that may sound, is about all we can hope for. Hopefully this season will be his last and he will hang them up for good. Hopefully Chuck will put his money where his mouth is and put that $4 million to real use, not just back in his pocket.
i think while wang doesnt exactly enjoy ricky's constant injuries, he appreciates the insurance covering a part of the steep fight to the cap floor. And now "they" wanna take away his ELC Bonuses! The nerve!

Old
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Bones45

nobody cares about the NHL, Hockey, and certainly not the Isles..

and even ISLES fans dont care about DP.

He is hurt?

I DONT CARE.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
What about Mikhail or Brett?
Priceless.

Or Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce. The real BOSS.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:03 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Rick is one groin injury closer to becoming our new assistant coach (or assitant GM).

Old
11-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Bexlyspeed

he can be the groin coach

Old
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Fantom

correct me if i am wrong here.
Lets say Wang can convince DP to retire because of his Injury's. I think he still gets pain and it also comes off the cap no ?

Closed Thread