HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
My post above is another reason why I'm not 100% sold they'll buy him out or if they do I'm not sure they'll use the amnesty buyout.

If they were going to buy Rick out why not do it right NOW. The damage has been done, he's off the team and its out there that he's pretty much done so why wait? Why send the most injury prone man ever born to the minor leagues where he is at risk of injury if your going to buy him out.. Just do what Montreal and the rags did and redden/Gomez him. If Rickey gets injured he CANNOT get bought out it just doesn't add up to me.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
If Nabby is going to continue playing 5 out of every 6 games, I am not quite sure I see how Poulin sitting on the bench every night will further his development.
Let's be honest..With this current squad we are NOT making the playoffs. I could see Poulin playing a little less at 1st but once reality sets in and we are unofficially officially out of it he will see more games with a veteran goalie to help him out. BTW do you think Poulin is upset that he is getting the call over Nilsson and that he could be playing more games in bport? or he is excited to be playing in the NHL. I personally feel he is excited about being a NHL back up with a chance to become the Islanders #1 at some point rather then being a split goalie in the minors..JMHO.

Last edited by MattMartin: 02-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 PM
amett87

DiPietro buyout

Hey Bunk, if they wanted to use a compliance buyout on him, then they'd have to wait until the summer to use it. Who knows if the Isles will use a traditional or compliance buyout on DP. As of now, it seems as though DiPietro will play out the rest of the season with the Sound Tigers and the Isles will decide what to do with him over the summer. I guess all we can do at this point is wait lol.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
My post above is another reason why I'm not 100% sold they'll buy him out or if they do I'm not sure they'll use the amnesty buyout.

If they were going to buy Rick out why not do it right NOW. The damage has been done, he's off the team and its out there that he's pretty much done so why wait? Why send the most injury prone man ever born to the minor leagues where he is at risk of injury if your going to buy him out.. Just do what Montreal and the rags did and redden/Gomez him. If Rickey gets injured he CANNOT get bought out it just doesn't add up to me.
Is it a possibility that there is something already in the works knowing how close he is to Wang? I see 1 of 2 things happening.

1) they didn't approach Rick and they just called him and said "sorry your time has come" (highly doubt this)
or
2) They said to him "Ricky we love you and all, so would you mind getting sent to Bridgeport and collect your full salary and make it look like we are trying to make improvements and by doing this we can still have you here and your cap hit and i can save some money as well?". (This i believe is more likely)

The fact is,no matter what way you cut it Wang is trying to save money.
The question and answer to him maybe selling the team is answered by the actions he takes in terms of what he does with the buyout.
Old CBA buyout...He is not selling.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by amett87 View Post
Hey Bunk, if they wanted to use a compliance buyout on him, then they'd have to wait until the summer to use it. Who knows if the Isles will use a traditional or compliance buyout on DP. As of now, it seems as though DiPietro will play out the rest of the season with the Sound Tigers and the Isles will decide what to do with him over the summer. I guess all we can do at this point is wait lol.
The NHL and nhlpa came to an agreement allowing teams to buy out a player this season. It's what happened to wade redden and Scott Gomez earlier in the season. I just foresee DP gettin hurt and the injury excuse will be there blocking the buy out.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Cacciaguida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Is it a possibility that there is something already in the works knowing how close he is to Wang? I see 1 of 2 things happening.

1) they didn't approach Rick and they just called him and said "sorry your time has come" (highly doubt this)
or
2) They said to him "Ricky we love you and all, so would you mind getting sent to Bridgeport and collect your full salary and make it look like we are trying to make improvements and by doing this we can still have you here and your cap hit and i can save some money as well?". (This i believe is more likely)

The fact is,no matter what way you cut it Wang is trying to save money.
The question and answer to him maybe selling the team is answered by the actions he takes in terms of what he does with the buyout.
Old CBA buyout...He is not selling.

so cynical

Old
02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post

so cynical
I hate being cynical but there is no denying Wang does everything in his power to spend the least amount of money that he can. It has been proven by his circumvention of the salary cap so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
I hate being cynical but there is no denying Wang does everything in his power to spend the least amount of money that he can. It has been proven by his circumvention of the salary cap so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.
Wang doesn't save any money by having Ricky in the AHL (quite the opposite as he now has to pay Ricky + anothe goalie)... so your number 2 point made no sense.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:14 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Wang doesn't save any money by having Ricky in the AHL (quite the opposite as he now has to pay Ricky + another goalie)... so your number 2 point made no sense.
Poulin is making 612,500 and DP's money counts against the cap so as of today he is paying that whopping 600k instead of buying out DP (saving a ton) and then having to spend x amount of dollars to obtain a player in return. Talk to me when we trade VIS by the deadline and bring up a minor league'r to replace him and then you can explain to me how this DP demotion cost him money. Nice try though.
Why am i mentioning Vis you may ask, well with the DP,Yashin,Thomas cap hit we can lose Vis without taking on more salary cementing the fact he is trying to save moneyyyyyyyyyyy.

P.S. when the Rags and Habs bought out Gomez and Redden they bought them outright with no cap hit to be found. Our owner seems to want to use the old CBA buyout and have his cap hit. Why is this may you add? because Wang doesn't want to improve the Islanders by buying out DP he wants to pay him as if he was playing and not have to worry about staying over the cap floor whereas the Rags and Habs wanted to improve the team by staying under the cap ceiling!!!!

If i learned one thing the past 2 seasons (if not more) about Wang is that he is using his excellent business mind to stay at the floor without actually paying the true floor amount. This is a fact,not a fantasy.

Last edited by MattMartin: 02-23-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 01:17 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
The NHL and nhlpa came to an agreement allowing teams to buy out a player this season. It's what happened to wade redden and Scott Gomez earlier in the season. I just foresee DP gettin hurt and the injury excuse will be there blocking the buy out.
Being who they are the Rangers and Habs actually got an exception from the agreement to buy them out now instead of in the summer.

If DP gets hurt again then I'm pretty sure they'll find a doctor who'll declare him a sportsw invalid and force him to retire.

I wonder if this has been on garth's mind for a while and this si what he meant ehen he spoke of roster flexibility after the Thomas trade? Maybe the TT trade was made so to get rid of DP...

Old
02-23-2013, 02:04 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
To the best of my understanding here's how the "amnesty" buyout is going to work around the NHL:

-Since the cap is going to be lowered and there was no salary rollback teams are goin to need to free up cap space to get under the ceiling. Each team has TWO buy outs they can use.
-This summer teams can start to buy out their players, they're allowed to use both or use one this summer and the second next summer. Next summer will be the last possible time a player can be bought out for cap purposes.
-The player who is bought out will receive 2/3s of his contract and none of it counts towards the cap.

-In the case of Wade Redden and Scott Gomez the team was allowed to buy the player out early. The player received his full salary and the full cap hit counted for this year only.. This was done because teams are not allowed to buy out players who are injured (example: pronger) and the rangers and Montreal were refusing to allow them play for fear of risking injury. Starting next year their cap hits will be removed.

Teams are still allowed to buyout players the normal way in which the salary counts towards the cap.. Something you won't see any team do except for probably us over the next two years because every team is trying to free up space instead of fill it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for clearing that up, I've heard so many things that I've mixed and matched them.

Do we know if he'll be playing a lot in with the Sound Tigers? Would they have the balls to put him down there as a backup to not take away from the development of Nilsson?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, I've heard so many things that I've mixed and matched them.

Do we know if he'll be playing a lot in with the Sound Tigers? Would they have the balls to put him down there as a backup to not take away from the development of Nilsson?
We don't.. To be honest no one here nor do any writers have a clue if he'll be bought out/retire/play in bridgeport/every play for the Isles again. This team is so unconventional with it's hockey operations that your guess is as good as mine and they're almost always very tight lipped about their plans.

I'm going to assume the consensus guess right now is that he goes down and plays, I believe Nilsson is injured but I could be wrong about that though, and is either a.) eventually bought out be it through the amnest/transitional buyout or the old fashioned cap hit style or b.) continues to get buried in B'port for eternity.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 AM
bigd

Quote:
Poulin is making 612,500 and DP's money counts against the cap so as of today he is paying that whopping 600k instead of buying out DP (saving a ton) and then having to spend x amount of dollars to obtain a player in return. Talk to me when we trade VIS by the deadline and bring up a minor league'r to replace him and then you can explain to me how this DP demotion cost him money. Nice try though.
Why am i mentioning Vis you may ask, well with the DP,Yashin,Thomas cap hit we can lose Vis without taking on more salary cementing the fact he is trying to save moneyyyyyyyyyyy.

P.S. when the Rags and Habs bought out Gomez and Redden they bought them outright with no cap hit to be found. Our owner seems to want to use the old CBA buyout and have his cap hit. Why is this may you add? because Wang doesn't want to improve the Islanders by buying out DP he wants to pay him as if he was playing and not have to worry about staying over the cap floor whereas the Rags and Habs wanted to improve the team by staying under the cap ceiling!!!!

If i learned one thing the past 2 seasons (if not more) about Wang is that he is using his excellent business mind to stay at the floor without actually paying the true floor amount. This is a fact,not a fantasy.
He's not really saving any money. As long as RD is an Islander he still has to pay him his full salary.This is a completely different senario from Gomez & Redden. If he buys him out this summer Wang gets a hit of 1.5 mil a year for the next 15 years. That would actually save him money. Esp if he sells the team, the new owner would be saddled with that bill. So as of right now this is not a cost cutting move but it may lead to one this summer, we can only hope!

Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Brunomics

Quote:

My response to this is if he's truly trying to sell the team by doing the buy out with the cap hit hurts the next owner and could be used to shed a few dollars off the asking price.

Like say I'm bargaining to buy the Isles, one of the first things I'd do to bring down the price is say how he is already hampering me from spending to the cap ceiling(whether I truly intend to or not).

Old
02-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Let's be honest..With this current squad we are NOT making the playoffs. I could see Poulin playing a little less at 1st but once reality sets in and we are unofficially officially out of it he will see more games with a veteran goalie to help him out. BTW do you think Poulin is upset that he is getting the call over Nilsson and that he could be playing more games in bport? or he is excited to be playing in the NHL. I personally feel he is excited about being a NHL back up with a chance to become the Islanders #1 at some point rather then being a split goalie in the minors..JMHO.
I think Nilsson is under the weather.
Something with his diet.

So, he's not 100%.

Also, it might depend on who Snow thinks has more potential.
I don't know what I would do, but...
If Snow think AN has more potential, do you keep him in the A and let him develop more or do you call him up?
The same with KP. If he shows more potential, do you call him up or keep him down?

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Anyone thinking "buyout" may want to read the below:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...vers-1.4692373
Snow says they're not thinking about that right now. Who knows. I'd have to think we'll see someone (Wang) reassess whether the buyout is better than the cap hit this summer... and make a "smart" business move - i.e. figure out which way he can stave off more bleeding.
Personally, I see DP's contract as getting to the point where it'll be more of a stumbling block to flexibility than anything else. I can tee it up as:
1. Take the cap hit while you can get it (i.e. retain DP's dubious services) and accept a lower price for the team down the line ("I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.") http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xs1kLkxOmqY
versus
2. Take the cheaper buyout and eliminate the Ricky Conundrum from future sale, marketing and (most importantly) on-ice team activities. I cannot overstate how much I believe the mental strength of a hockey team depends on good, reliable goaltending.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:45 AM
aemoreira1981

If DP clears...should the Sound Tigers have 3 goalies on the roster so that DP doesn't play (that is, protect him from injury to buy him out somehow)?

As for the callup, if Nilsson were healthy, I think that he'd be getting the call.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
lorwood

I look for Wang to get rid of the contract this summer.

If he is going to make an effort to improve in Brooklyn the contract needed to go

If he is going to sell the contract needed to go.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I look for Wang to get rid of the contract this summer.

If he is going to make an effort to improve in Brooklyn the contract needed to go

If he is going to sell the contract needed to go.
I hope you're right. I just don't know how tenaciously he plans to capitalize on the present value of the ability to hit the cap floor with what he already owes.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:

The Islanders would have to have done it before the season, when Wade Redden and Scott Gomez were bought out. Buyouts cannot be done in-season.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Bunk Moreland

All is right in world:

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: #Isles have one G for AM skate. Poulin just landed in Buffalo, will back up Nabokov tonight. DiPietro departed last night.
It's just about noon so we should find out if he was claimed or... Hahaha nevermind...

https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...54659109933057

Old
02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
All is right in world:

It's just about noon so we should find out if he was claimed or... Hahaha nevermind...

https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...54659109933057
I really just want to throw a fake rumor on that in the trade thread to see the board explode.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The Islanders would have to have done it before the season, when Wade Redden and Scott Gomez were bought out. Buyouts cannot be done in-season.
Ahh ok for some reason thought they were done a couple of games into the season. Well either way if they were plannin on buying him out they wouldn't let him play and risk injury.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Bunk Moreland

Ok he's cleared haha:

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: DiPietro clears waivers, assigned to Bridgeport. Kevin Poulin officially recalled. #Isles
Quote:
@StapeNewsday: Also a glaring error in my DiPietro story today: #Isles can prorate buyout over 16 years. Thanks @nyisles277929 for alerting me.
https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...66371611574273
https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...66839293272064

Botta just for kicks (even though I kind of agree):

Quote:
@ChrisBottaNHL: Lots of people saw DiPietro's demotion to the AHL as the end of him with #Isles. That's not yet true.
https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/st...65903971856385

Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Brunomics

How ironic would it be if he becomes a workhorse for the Sound Tigers and the only reason he looked so bad was because DP didn't play enough games to allow himself to limber up?

Closed Thread