HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Thank you for looking up the numbers so I didn't have to. If memory serves, I believe Osgood was just coming off injury when they foolishly dealt him.
Yep. You'll remember he came back and had brand new Isles team colored pads and helmet his last game - and then we got that exciting winger who saved us all years of grief.

And to echo nyles - I HATE Rick's selfish game, SELF AGGRANDIZING AND LAZINESS/STUPIDITY out there. But he had a solid year and minimized his brain faht's. I WILL argue he went to the ASG because two opted out, but he did well.

Wanna argue his training or the sudden rise in his idiotic puck decisions the first year hge came back (right after saying in the press he was not going to change his game - nice decision, knob), great, but I will agree he had 1 1/2 years of solid goaltending before he re-earned my ire (mixed with sympathy because he IMHO became a much more likeable guy when humility hit hard).

Last edited by Doctor No: 01-03-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Libel
Old
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
He turned down a multi-year contract extension. NYI had Snow, a playoff tested back-up or 1A, to man the pipes post-trade.

In simple terms, guy says 'No, thanks' to re-upping. First thing NYI fans always cry about is a 'player wanting to be here or move him out' - this fits that mold. Isn't that the same process for Nabby, get rid of him b/c he doesn't want to be here???
Conveniently, you're ignoring the "extension" was a big pay cut. He just won 32 games and held the team in til game 7 after taking a huge beating, barely able to stand.

The team offered him an extension - at $1M less than he was making. The offer was a multi-year deal at $3M per when Oz was making $4M. The sad, sad irony (which kept DP on LI) is that he took $3M from the Blues his next contract.

But to say Osgood didn't want to be here is ignorant, patently false and ridiculous. He wanted to retire an Islander.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
Even more comical is the revisionist history some people inexplicably use to kick the guy when he's down, as exhibited in the posts quoted here (among others). "Semi-decent year"? "Second rounder at best"? Give me a break.

As someone who was never high on Rick and considered Draft Day 2000 a disaster even when things were looking up, I take little pleasure in saying Rick was very good in his all-star year. Even ignoring what I saw in his play and going by the numbers, his SV% that year (often the most telling goalie stat IMO) was 6th among goalies who played at least 10 games. He seemed to be maturing, was starting to shed the bad habits that made most of us think he'd never live up to the billing, and briefly even made it seem like Milbury knew what he was doing. Unfortunately, the injury bug then set in and has effectively finished off his career, so we'll never know how good he might've been.

To summarize, there are plenty of legitimate negative things one could say about Ricky and his career - no need to make things up entirely and **** on the few accomplishments he's actually had.
I don't think anyone is **** on the few accomplishments he's actually had, the problem is he's never had any acomplishments that are worth **** on. Let's look at the facts. DiPietro's only all star selection was in year was 07-08. In that year he finished the season with a SV% of .902, which was not even in the top 40 in the league for guys with at least 10 games played. However, thinking you may have meant his personal best year let's take a look. In 06-07 this is how his stats broke out, minimum 10 games played, your measuring sitck: SV% .919 ranked 6th, wins 32 ranked 13th, GAA 2.58 ranked 18th, GA 156 ranked 46th, SO 5 ranked 11th and lastly GP 62 ranked 12th. So in his best season he could not crack the top 10 in any statistical catagory but one. I'll even give you the beneefit of the doubt and take away the less important catagorries such as GP and SO, with those removed, he only cracks the top 15 twice. This was his best? Yet, many think this was a sign of things to come. Based on.........?? There have better goaltenders who had thier 5 minutes of fame, posted better years than DiPietros best year and dissappeared. Eventually water finds it's own level. I am sure the Caps were sure they had their goalie for years to come in Jim Carey, I am also sure the Canadiens thought they had their guy in Huet, Cloutier was supposed to man the Vancouver nets for years as was JS Giguere in Anaheim, Bayron DaFoe in BOS? What do they have in common? One good season or maybe two and then dropped off the radar or finished their "prime" years as a back up or out of the NHL. If 06-07 was the best he had to offer, it proves he wasn't anything to build around. But hey, his drive and competative spirit are impressive!

Old
01-03-2012, 04:14 PM
nyscene

Quote:
I don't think anyone is **** on the few accomplishments he's actually had, the problem is he's never had any acomplishments that are worth **** on. Let's look at the facts. DiPietro's only all star selection was in year was 07-08. In that year he finished the season with a SV% of .902, which was not even in the top 40 in the league for guys with at least 10 games played. However, thinking you may have meant his personal best year let's take a look. In 06-07 this is how his stats broke out, minimum 10 games played, your measuring sitck: SV% .919 ranked 6th, wins 32 ranked 13th, GAA 2.58 ranked 18th, GA 156 ranked 46th, SO 5 ranked 11th and lastly GP 62 ranked 12th. So in his best season he could not crack the top 10 in any statistical catagory but one. I'll even give you the beneefit of the doubt and take away the less important catagorries such as GP and SO, with those removed, he only cracks the top 15 twice. This was his best? Yet, many think this was a sign of things to come. Based on.........?? There have better goaltenders who had thier 5 minutes of fame, posted better years than DiPietros best year and dissappeared. Eventually water finds it's own level. I am sure the Caps were sure they had their goalie for years to come in Jim Carey, I am also sure the Canadiens thought they had their guy in Huet, Cloutier was supposed to man the Vancouver nets for years as was JS Giguere in Anaheim, Bayron DaFoe in BOS? What do they have in common? One good season or maybe two and then dropped off the radar or finished their "prime" years as a back up or out of the NHL. If 06-07 was the best he had to offer, it proves he wasn't anything to build around. But hey, his drive and competative spirit are impressive!
So your argument is that, in stats that are heavily team driven, he didn't place well? I think at this point there are plenty of guys on this board who just hate DiPietro, and are trying to find new ways to justify that. I've watched this game for quite a while, and if you watched that year, you would know that he was VERY good, particularly when he carried this team in the second half of the season (when he posted a .925 save%, which would be tops in the league). Here's another fun stat that doesn't show up without some looking: he was fourth in the league in Saves per 60 minutes; 1st if you limit it to guys in the league who were their teams clear-cut starters.

He was also (apart from a disastrous first start or two of the year) looking very good the next season, until his injury at the ASG absolutely destroyed his stats for the year (look at his splits).

I think we all agree he is done as an NHL goalie, but this thread for *****ing & moaning is just getting old.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Conveniently, you're ignoring the "extension" was a big pay cut. He just won 32 games and held the team in til game 7 after taking a huge beating, barely able to stand.

The team offered him an extension - at $1M less than he was making. The offer was a multi-year deal at $3M per when Oz was making $4M. The sad, sad irony (which kept DP on LI) is that he took $3M from the Blues his next contract.

But to say Osgood didn't want to be here is ignorant, patently false and ridiculous. He wanted to retire an Islander.
I'm not ignoring, just didn't state it. He was offered an extension and said no. At that time, his opportunities in the market were so-called slim. He signed the 1yr deal with STL b/c his other opps were not very good. So, he passed on years for uncertainty, which is exactly what he ended up with. Hello Biron? Vokoun?

Remember, he was waived in favor of better goalies. He fell in NYI's lap. His value around the league was low (umm...Papineau was the return??), yet no one wanted to pay him that salary. His signing a one year deal in STL is proof of that.

At some point with NYI, he knew his starting time was on borrowed time with DP becoming ever more present. Osgood went on to start for several years beyond whatever would have been his time on LI. DP took the reigns two years later.

Old
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Isles Junkie

StapeNewsday Arthur Staple
Mike Mottau (upper body) and Rick DiPietro (lower body) headed back to NY for evaluation. #Isles
49 minutes ago

Not sure when either injury occurred; DiPietro's may be groin-related, but may also be knee-related. DiPietro still on IR.
48 minutes ago

It's beyond comical at this point.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Mike Mottau (upper body) and Rick DiPietro (lower body) headed back to NY for evaluation. #Isles
49 minutes ago

Not sure when either injury occurred; DiPietro's may be groin-related, but may also be knee-related. DiPietro still on IR.
48 minutes ago

It's beyond comical at this point.
Whatever keeps him away from the team at this point.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
So your argument is that, in stats that are heavily team driven, he didn't place well? I think at this point there are plenty of guys on this board who just hate DiPietro, and are trying to find new ways to justify that. I've watched this game for quite a while, and if you watched that year, you would know that he was VERY good, particularly when he carried this team in the second half of the season (when he posted a .925 save%, which would be tops in the league). Here's another fun stat that doesn't show up without some looking: he was fourth in the league in Saves per 60 minutes; 1st if you limit it to guys in the league who were their teams clear-cut starters.

He was also (apart from a disastrous first start or two of the year) looking very good the next season, until his injury at the ASG absolutely destroyed his stats for the year (look at his splits).

I think we all agree he is done as an NHL goalie, but this thread for *****ing & moaning is just getting old.
So GAA is a team stat? GA is a team stat? Gee, I have been watching hockey for about 32 years and never once have I've I seen GAA or GA referred to as a team stat. GAA and GA are a direct reflection on the indiviudal. It rates how they preform after the shot is taken when it's just the goalie against the puck and their ability, or in this case lack there of, to stop ii. To call them team stats is a veiled attempt to stake the focus off a guy that just did not preform as well as many liek to think. I do give you credit for digging up one of the most obsucre and meanignless stats I ever heard of though. Fourth in the league in saves per 60 minutes? Really? I am sure you had to search far and wide to find a stat that not only has no one ever heard of, but may be the most meaningless stat I have ever heard of.

I will end this by letting those who wish to back in his one alleged great "potential" or one "great" season knock themselves out. I prefer to keep with the facts.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
nyscene

Quote:
So GAA is a team stat? GA is a team stat? Gee, I have been watching hockey for about 32 years and never once have I've I seen GAA or GA referred to as a team stat. GAA and GA are a direct reflection on the indiviudal. It rates how they preform after the shot is taken when it's just the goalie against the puck and their ability, or in this case lack there of, to stop ii. To call them team stats is a veiled attempt to stake the focus off a guy that just did not preform as well as many liek to think. I do give you credit for digging up one of the most obsucre and meanignless stats I ever heard of though. Fourth in the league in saves per 60 minutes? Really? I am sure you had to search far and wide to find a stat that not only has no one ever heard of, but may be the most meaningless stat I have ever heard of.

I will end this by letting those who wish to back in his one alleged great "potential" or one "great" season knock themselves out. I prefer to keep with the facts.
Absolutely. Who is going to probably have a higher GAA? The goalie who plays behind a terrible defense & faces 35 shots a night, or the one who plays behind a trapping team & faces 25? Save % is a better indicator of a goalies performance, although it itself is far from perfect.

You don't think SA & saves per game are meaningful? To know how busy a goalie is during a game? Its the same type stat we had rammed down out throat when Luongo was in Florida (he faces soo many shots per game, ignore his GAA), and I'd say that he is pretty damned good.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Where does this "he's so competative" crap come from all the time? It's like the final attempt in a losing arguement. Show me a professional athelete who isn't competative, Santonio Holmes excluded.

I'd like to know exactly what you base his "competativeness" on?

Do you see him at practice? Are you in the locker room? Do you watch him rehab? No, no and no. So just how do you come up with this judgement? Is it because he says so? What else would you expect him to say? "I'm faking it and really just want to collect my money?"

News flash, Tavares is competative, Moulson is competeative, Montoya is competatvie, Bossy was competative, Nystrom was competative, you want me to keep going? Hell even Kvasha was competative. They are professional athletes, they are supposed to be competative.

He just wants to win? Duh, so does everyone else in the league.
You can see it on the ice. The guy was just ultra-competitive. He's always been known as that.

Compare to Wojtek Wolski. Someone who is decidedly NOT ultra-competitive.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You can see it on the ice. The guy was just ultra-competitive. He's always been known as that.

Compare to Wojtek Wolski. Someone who is decidedly NOT ultra-competitive.
Frankly, I think DiPiretro is a poser. He's not as competitive as he pretends to be.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
http://deadspin.com/5873016/

What's this about?

Old
01-04-2012, 03:36 PM
SGNHL78
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post

What's this about?
It's his knee again. It's a well kept secret that his knee has been bothering him this year again, not just his groin. Although the groin injury is pretty serious too. I doubt we'll see Rick back this year.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

What's this about?
It was really windy in North Carolina.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
OpAck

Quote:

What's this about?
He had been practicing with the team though...for maybe, the last week or so.

Per Moulson's Twitter, the Isles went right to Anaheim from Raleigh last night. Me thinks that they brought Nabby, Nilsson, and Rick to Raleigh with the belief that Rick would be ready to go by Friday and backup Nabby in California. Activate Rick today and Nilsson would just fly back to Bridgeport from Raleigh. That's pretty likely.

As to what happened to Rick...lord only knows. I think one of two things are possible...

1. Rick practiced yesterday and the team felt he actually may not be ready to go by Friday and felt Nilsson should go to California instead and just send Rick home and have him ready to backup Nabby at home against Detroit.

2. Rick reinjured his groin in practice.

I think 2 is more likely the case. That, or, it's his knee again. Or perhaps it's been his knee all along and the Isles are calling it a groin???

Old
01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
GilliesGirlie

Who has the DiPietro voodoo doll? This is so funny and sad all at once. How does someone become so injury prone?

Old
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
He had been practicing with the team though...for maybe, the last week or so.

Per Moulson's Twitter, the Isles went right to Anaheim from Raleigh last night. Me thinks that they brought Nabby, Nilsson, and Rick to Raleigh with the belief that Rick would be ready to go by Friday and backup Nabby in California. Activate Rick today and Nilsson would just fly back to Bridgeport from Raleigh. That's pretty likely.

As to what happened to Rick...lord only knows. I think one of two things are possible...

1. Rick practiced yesterday and the team felt he actually may not be ready to go by Friday and felt Nilsson should go to California instead and just send Rick home and have him ready to backup Nabby at home against Detroit.

2. Rick reinjured his groin in practice.

I think 2 is more likely the case. That, or, it's his knee again. Or perhaps it's been his knee all along and the Isles are calling it a groin???
My friend's girlfriend's uncle's gardener's sister told me DP got hurt when he tripped over a stack of Benjamins in his living room.

Old
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Doesn't he get it? Just retire Rick. You're doing more worse than good by staying with this team.

Old
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

All these injuries are building a case for putting him on permanent IR or possibly retirement paid by insurance. I think we've just about seen the last of DP.

01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
All these injuries are building a case for putting him on permanent IR or possibly retirement paid by insurance. I think we've just about seen the last of DP.
Yeah I absolutely agree.. I dont believe anything Bob says but with his "groin" and now this injury. He is clearly out for the year and above all I am sure Garth has finally won the battle and told Wang and DP that listen if you come back your playing in Bridgeport till you prove us other wise that you can compete on a nightly basis. That might be all for Rick Dipietro.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

On another goalie note Kevin Poulin with another Shut out for Bridgeport. With Mikko doing really well for Sweden since getting more playing time and Nillson up here till Montoya gets better The goalie situation looks really optimistic.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I'd agree with you if this wasn't the Charles Wang Islanders we're talking about here.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
On another goalie note Kevin Poulin with another Shut out for Bridgeport. With Mikko doing really well for Sweden since getting more playing time and Nillson up here till Montoya gets better The goalie situation looks really optimistic.
thought koski was playing in his native finland right now?

Old
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
thought koski was playing in his native finland right now?
Was it Finland?? My apologies

Old
01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Very interesting...posted by Dee Karl at HockeyBuzz.

No idea if there is any truth to it, but it true, this could the sign that DiPietro himself is considering retirement due to injury.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-K...-Off/129/41064

Closed Thread