HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pro Stock Gloves - have you noticed?

Old
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
Pro Stock Gloves - have you noticed?

I have a couple pairs of pro-stocks given to me by my NHL/AHL neighbor:

Warrior Franchise
Eagle

I also have non-pro stock, but high end gloves: TPS R8, Sherwood T90, Sherwood 995, Easton E-Pro

now... are pro-stock's that much better? I wouldn't say so, as even the non-pro stock are supposed to be pro-level gloves and are made of the same Nylon or Synth leather materials with the same density of foam with plastic inserts.

The Franchise IS a little different, as it was a "wide" glove before the wide series came out...

So its not so much the glove's construction that is much different than lets say a "top-end non-pro glove" but rather the Palm...

Where my TPS & Easton are both Nash and the Sherwoods are Clarino...

both of my pro-stock gloves are just "pure" clarino, including the Eagle
They are not nash, nor M2H2, nor do they have any added palm material

Does this feel better? Yes, but slightly...
I think Clarino is the best feeling material, and prefer these palms to the Nash I have in my Eason/TPS, but a well worn pair of my sherwoods with the added material for duabiity is just as comfortable.

anyways, did anyone find that with pro-stock? that alot use just a standard clarino, including the gussets, though the retail varients of the same glove use all sorts of different materials?

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
r3cc0s

noticibly:

Old
11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah that seems to be the case quite a bit. Remember that for the most part players came up wearing gloves that were available five years ago, and most were Nash or Clarino 4-rolls. So nowadays most guys will use a Nash or Clarino 4-roll with a couple mods for fit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I have a couple pairs of pro-stocks given to me by my NHL/AHL neighbor:

Warrior Franchise
Eagle

I also have non-pro stock, but high end gloves: TPS R8, Sherwood T90, Sherwood 995, Easton E-Pro

now... are pro-stock's that much better? I wouldn't say so, as even the non-pro stock are supposed to be pro-level gloves and are made of the same Nylon or Synth leather materials with the same density of foam with plastic inserts.

The Franchise IS a little different, as it was a "wide" glove before the wide series came out...

So its not so much the glove's construction that is much different than lets say a "top-end non-pro glove" but rather the Palm...

Where my TPS & Easton are both Nash and the Sherwoods are Clarino...

both of my pro-stock gloves are just "pure" clarino, including the Eagle
They are not nash, nor M2H2, nor do they have any added palm material

Does this feel better? Yes, but slightly...
I think Clarino is the best feeling material, and prefer these palms to the Nash I have in my Eason/TPS, but a well worn pair of my sherwoods with the added material for duabiity is just as comfortable.

anyways, did anyone find that with pro-stock? that alot use just a standard clarino, including the gussets, though the retail varients of the same glove use all sorts of different materials?
Pro stock does not mean better materials. Pro stock generally means "custom" - made just the way a particular guy likes it, which is better for him.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Pro stock does not mean better materials. Pro stock generally means "custom" - made just the way a particular guy likes it, which is better for him.
I just got me a pair of NOS pro-stock CCM Pro-Tacks from Portland...

intrestingly... it uses clarino palms, but has this palm protector that is "tacky" and has memory foam all around, but it does have Winterhawks stiching on it

man they're heavy... the pinky has padding on the outside gussets and there is another layer of memory foam on the cuff near the palm area

Old
11-09-2011, 12:38 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
I have a pair of pro-stock RBK's 11k's from the Flames locker room sale (heritage classic colors), the only real difference is in the palms that i can notice.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
shoeshine boy

for me the fun of pro stocks is getting colors and sometimes materials that aren't available for non-custom retail sale. for instance, my Brian Pothier MIA gloves:

and sometimes it's just about getting gloves from a player that you liked such as my Marc Savard gloves from his days as a Thrasher:

some are just because it's fun to own them and make your friends jealous such as my buddy who's a HUGE Canucks fan and it kills him that I have Sedin's gloves from Team Lidstrom in the All Star game last year:

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Another point to make...."Better" materials doesn't always mean more durable. That's actually a reason I'd be hesitant to use pro Stock for weekly rec type play. NHL players can get new gear whenever they need it. Not like they're choosing between paying the car note or getting a new set of gloves.

The best gloves I've ever used were a set of Hespelers I paid $40 for at Play It again.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Playing roller hockey, I love Easton and Bauer gloves. Always had a set of each. I thought they offered good protection, they were durable and I got good resale value when I sold them.

11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
Another point to make...."Better" materials doesn't always mean more durable. That's actually a reason I'd be hesitant to use pro Stock for weekly rec type play. NHL players can get new gear whenever they need it. Not like they're choosing between paying the car note or getting a new set of gloves.

The best gloves I've ever used were a set of Hespelers I paid $40 for at Play It again.
I think Palm Materials, and various customizations with the padding, rolls, cuffs etc.. is the main difference, like from Warrior/MIA

I think you're right, they don't care about durablity at least pam wise, which is why I think most of them don't have any "overlays" in them, and are usually: full clarino, nash, ffh or digital

The pair I want, are a set of the old Z-Air's that Iggy rocks, or what Brad Richards had...

I'll presume Iggy probably has about a dozen pairs of them left, and gets them re-palmed and with different outers