HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Resourceful win good sign for Leafs

Old
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Yosho
Logic

vCash: 500
Resourceful win good sign for Leafs

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...s?bn=1#article

A great article from Damien Cox - one of the best he's written (which, to some, isn't saying much).

Not too pessimistic, not too optimistic. Just right.

Edit - Feel free to merge this with the PGT. That seems like a good option.

Last edited by Yosho: 10-07-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Toasty95

Good article.

Toasty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:57 AM
toronto murphy laws

Good read. Not extreme one way or the other, I liiiike

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
CellarDweller0

The cold bubbly kind

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
The cold bubbly kind
Wrong thread.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:03 AM
edwardslane

great to hear a positive article early in the season..

With any luck we beat the sens like we're supposed to saturday and have a great week off getting healthy.. at least we're gauranteed a split now.. but after beating the habs and being on home ice we have to find a way to get 2 points vs the sens.

Go leafs GO!

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Wrong thread.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:24 AM
willy29

seems like a puff piece.....the leafs win due to a strong game by Reims and a shorthanded goal......boring game

Is anyone concerned with the Leaf's poor play in the first period of games??? Seems like a trend from last year as well....the leafs come out flat in the first period at home....why

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
seems like a puff piece.....the leafs win due to a strong game by Reims and a shorthanded goal......boring game

Is anyone concerned with the Leaf's poor play in the first period of games??? Seems like a trend from last year as well....the leafs come out flat in the first period at home....why
I wasnt impressed by either squad....Was actually a disappointing game for a classic like MTL-TOR. Even when these teams are not very good they usually play exciting hockey when they meet each other...not last night. Was quite the boring game. I agree with your assessment regarding Reimer. May have been a different game had he not shut the door in the first...thats what NHL calibre goaltending can do for a team...keeps the game winnable until the rest of the squad wakes up.

It was surprising that the Leafs didn't fly out of the gate on home ice for the opener against MTL...didn't understand it myself. I am tempering my enthusiasm after one game because quite frankly it was a poor hockey game by both teams.

Still...its good to win when you don't play well...They need those division rival points...hopefully they play with more energy against the Sens.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:

Leafs won because of more then that. Forwards back checking, blocked shots, face off draws won and relentless checking in both ends of the rink.

Cheer up, far from a boring game.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
daveleaf

Thats the game Montreal wants to play. Clog the middle, slow the pace and give up few chances. It took the Leafs a period to figure out how to break out of their own zone.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:00 AM
The Messenger

Good article, thought I would never ever say this but I agree with Damien Cox 100% !!!! Lots of positives in the game, especially the acquisition of Steckel, brilliant move by Burke !!!! First period sucked, so what, we controlled the game for the most part after that,

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:07 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Good article, thought I would never ever say this but I agree with Damien Cox 100% !!!! Lots of positives in the game, especially the acquisition of Steckel, brilliant move by Burke !!!! First period sucked, so what, we controlled the game for the most part after that,
When was the last time we had a guy that could win the important faceoffs? It's been a long time and he does a great job on his man after the faceoff and slides right into the middle and clogs it. Finally!

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Good stuff Cox. Agreed pretty much across the board.

Overall, everyone played pretty average. But I saw lots of general hustle, from everybody. And if that's an "average game, imagine what a "good" game could look like.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
robdicks

pretty spot on article by Cox. I know the Leafs didn't play great, but everyone knows we are going to lean on Reimer this year, so if he can take it like he did last night, we should make the playoffs.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
When was the last time we had a guy that could win the important faceoffs? It's been a long time and he does a great job on his man after the faceoff and slides right into the middle and clogs it. Finally!
Yanic Perreault probably.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Courage*

Just watched the game again, and there were large sections of the 2nd and 3rd when the team played VERY well on the defensive side. After the 2-0 lead was established, the whole team bought into a dump-in system and a softer forecheck, etc. and collapsing around the net when the Habs did have possession in their zone, which was rare. The softer forecheck and a neutral zone lock led to tonnes of Habs turnovers and they had almost no forecheck going for almost half the game. It was very good defensive hockey. Few of the Habs 14 shots in the 3rd were dangerous and there were next to no second chances on rebounds, or chances created from short passes out from the corners, etc. because the team was doing such a good job collapsing below the dots. On the rush, even Kessel was in on the dump-and-chase action, getting the puck deep when he could've tried to make a play, etc.

To me, that's a huge thing for this team, and something we didn't see a lot of last year. The bottom-6 guys that Bourke has assembled all made big contributions to the win by doing little things - FOs, PK, dumping and chasing, cycling the puck to kill time, blocking shots. That's what Bourke was talking about when he spoke of 6/6. And it's the kind of thing that makes the difference over the course of a season. Now we just need a few repeat performances.

Last edited by Courage*: 10-07-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Budsfan

Good article by Cox.

Steckel in my estimation was just terrific and as advertised, winning the majority of the face offs, he made a difference in the game and was great on the PK.

Reimer held them in there until they shook off their Lethargic first period and continued on just like he did in last years performance.

Lombardi showed he has speed to burn and frankly I wasn't expecting too much but he came to play and scored the winning goal.

The D was solid and Komisarek looks like he has returned to being a solid crunching Defenceman, that we all thought was, when we signed him and I thought all the D played very well.

Even though our two top lines didn't score, they were getting their chances and Kessel did set up the Phanuef goal, I think we are in for an exciting season.

Go Leafs Go!

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:59 AM
cynicism

Typical Toronto Media, always focusing on the negatives

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:59 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:

Last year the Leafs came out guns a'blazing in the first, and had early leads mostly from the Grabo line. It was their woeful PK that cost them the lead and their constant discombobulation in the last few minutes that would ice them.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Its funny how you guys fall for this **** every year. When the team is winning Cox will praise the team, when they are losing he will rip them to shreds, this happens every year.

It was an easy article to write, pretty ****** journalism

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Typical Toronto Media, always focusing on the negatives
Not really. It focused on both positive and negative - both seen during last nights game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Its funny how you guys fall for this **** every year. When the team is winning Cox will praise the team, when they are losing he will rip them to shreds, this happens every year.

It was an easy article to write, pretty ****** journalism
It was a pretty balanced article. Hence, why I posted it here.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

good article by cox.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:50 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Wrong thread.
Huge FAIL on my part. LOL

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
TheTotalPackage

In recent weeks, Cox, while on the radio, has been quite bullish about the Leafs going forward. McCown always chimes in to slag the team, but Cox is almost an apologist saying that the pieces are slowly being put in place, things are coming about slowly but surely, and it's not an overnight process where you can revamp a team and they become a contender.

I don't get all excited when a journalist writes an article like this. Nor do I get too worked up when it's constant negativity. What I have an issue with, and what makes a good journalist, is objectivity. Offer praise when it's to be offered, and be negative when it's warranted. I just can't stand when there are those who are always negative or make excuses (ie. Healy) at every turn. Similarly, I can't stand those who think everything's all rosy and peaches all the time.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote