HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Claude Giroux - top ? NHL player?

Old
10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Claude Giroux - top ? NHL player?

I heard the pregame yesterday where Therien said Giroux was a top 5 player in the NHL. I watched TSN poll which had him at the 20th best hockey player in the NHL. Where would you put him? I was a little nervous about him taking over first line duty and playing against the other teams best.....but he looks Forsberg like.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I heard the pregame yesterday where Therien said Giroux was a top 5 player in the NHL. I watched TSN poll which had him at the 20th best hockey player in the NHL. Where would you put him? I was a little nervous about him taking over first line duty and playing against the other teams best.....but he looks Forsberg like.
Top 5? No. Probably never. He's one of the most exciting players in the NHL, but right now I'd say top 50, maybe top 30.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
You could try to make a case for top 5 centers, and that's tough enough. Not top 5 player, no way. He's in the discussion for top 40 or so, which is damn respectable.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not a top 5 player, at least at this point. I'd put him in top 20 for sure though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

He's still not the best player on the team. That belongs to healthy Pronger.

So he's definitely not a top 5 NHL player.

I'm going to go somewhere 21-30.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I think Claude leaps into that top echelon of players this year. He has an elite skill set and the players around him.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Prongo
Beer

Im going to say NUMBER 1! cuz the kid has some nasty skills!!

Nah probably top 30 though!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You could try to make a case for top 5 centers, and that's tough enough. Not top 5 player, no way. He's in the discussion for top 40 or so, which is damn respectable.
I'd have to agree with this.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
GarretWillhelmThe3rd

I think it all depends on his play this year, top 5......maybe but as of now I'd say top 30

GarretWillhelmThe3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
SgtJoseph

Roo is one of those players you hate putting in a category like #1 or # 5 etc......He is beyond all of that stuff in my opinion because he is just plain NASTY and is a very deceptive skater with the ability to create space where there is none.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

On a list that includes goaltenders, TSN put Giroux at #25 overall: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=49958

Claude was playing like a grown-ass man last night. I'd bet the general consensus will have him in the top 15 next season.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:59 AM
RoDu

If he ever develops some faceoff skills, it will certainly boost his ranking

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I was really hoping you wouldnt bring this up lol. But yea... he isnt top 5. I agree with the Top 25 statement though.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
PointL00kout

Until he puts up a average of a point per game he won't be a star. Once he does I will consider him one. In this league with the scoring the way it is, the star players produce at a point per game. He missed it by 6 points last year. If he would of had 82 points in 82 games I would call him a star. But as it stands now no IMO.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Giroux is great, but he has a long way to go to be considered a top 30 player.

Top 30 players are consistently great, season after season. We have one season of Giroux elevating his game; he needs to maintain that level, and elevate it even more, before I'm ready to put him amongst the league's elite.

10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
livewell68

Call me an optimist but I think that the Giroux-Jagr combination will be something to behold this year.

I can see both finishing in the top 10 in scoring, with Giroux finishing top 5 at season's end.

Giroux is a great playmaker and has untapped goal scoring ability, with Jagr's ability to garner coverage from the likes of Chara and such, it will open up the ice for Giroux.

Jagr can find Giroux at all times, I think Giroux gets 40-45 goals and about 100 Pts while Jagr finishes with 30 goals and 95 Pts.

Also it doesn't hurt to have JVR on their line who will come around.

Top players make players around them better and Giroux has that ability and he also has the linemates that will propell him to a PPG player rather easily.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Call me an optimist but I think that the Giroux-Jagr combination will be something to behold this year.

I can see both finishing in the top 10 in scoring, with Giroux finishing top 5 at season's end.

Giroux is a great playmaker and has untapped goal scoring ability, with Jagr's ability to garner coverage from the likes of Chara and such, it will open up the ice for Giroux.

Jagr can find Giroux at all times, I think Giroux gets 40-45 goals and about 100 Pts while Jagr finishes with 30 goals and 95 Pts.

Top players make players around them better and Giroux has that ability and he also has the linemates that will propell him to a PPG player rather easily.
I would definitely call you an optimist haha.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
PointL00kout

Quote:

Jagr can find Giroux at all times, I think Giroux gets 35-40 goals and about 100 Pts while Jagr finishes with 30 goals and 90 Pts.

Top players make players around them better and Giroux has that ability and he also has the linemates that will propell to a PPG player rather easily.
LOL I'm an eternal optimist but even I think that's quite the prediction. For Jagr 90 points at his age is a bit of a stretch not that I would like to see it happen but I don't think it's going to happen. But you never know. But if your wrong it will make me not look so bad for predicting 62 points for Schenn.

Last edited by PointL00kout: 10-07-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
I think he fits in the top 10 and fully expect him to get 90+ points this year. This team is clearly now his and he's the type of guy who will thrive on that. I guarantee you anyone not familiar with Giroux who watched the game last night is probably going . The passes, the anticipation, the defensive awareness and the grit he displayed scoring that goal... and we all know he's just getting warmed up.

Jagr must be playing with a hard-on.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDownToImpact View Post
Until he puts up a average of a point per game he won't be a star. Once he does I will consider him one. In this league with the scoring the way it is, the star players produce at a point per game. He missed it by 6 points last year. If he would of had 82 points in 82 games I would call him a star. But as it stands now no IMO.
Really? The diference of you calling him a star is 6 points?

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:58 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I think he fits in the top 10 and fully expect him to get 90+ points this year. This team is clearly now his and he's the type of guy who will thrive on that. I guarantee you anyone not familiar with Giroux who watched the game last night is probably going . The passes, the anticipation, the defensive awareness and the grit he displayed scoring that goal... and we all know he's just getting warmed up.

Jagr must be playing with a hard-on.
No disrespect to Giroux (the kid can play) but why would Jagr have a hard on? Not like Jagr has seen centers of Giroux' talent level before or even played with them?

Jagr's ability to dominate all season long is yet to be seen but if you look at skill itself, other than speed, Jagr is pretty much equal to Giroux.

It's not like Jagr is some old geezer in a wheel chair who was just an average hockey player coming back.

Sure he's excited and happy to play with Giroux but Jagr won't be leaching points off of Giroux. I think they both feed off each other equally.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
PointL00kout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
Really? The diference of you calling him a star is 6 points?
6 points or more yes. Year in year out PPG pace to be a star in this League. Maybe star isn't the best word how about elite?

Old
10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
No disrespect to Giroux (the kid can play) but why would Jagr have a hard on? Not like Jagr has seen centers of Giroux' talent level before or even played with them?

Jagr's ability to dominate all season long is yet to be seen but if you look at skill itself, other than speed, Jagr is pretty much equal to Giroux.

It's not like Jagr is some old geezer in a wheel chair who was just an average hockey player coming back.

Sure he's excited and happy to play with Giroux but Jagr won't be leaching points off of Giroux. I think they both feed off each other equally.
I meant no disrespect to Jagr. Unlike a lot of people, I actually think he's still a top player in the game regardless of who he plays with. But, remember, Jagr knew little of this Claude Giroux guy before he came back... might have even pulled a Clarkie and forgot his name! Point is Jagr gets to play with an elite centre to show what he can do. And he will.

Also, he might be sporting wood because of Claude's fine hockey hair... brings him back to his youth.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
top 5 player, I dont see that in him. I see him averaging about a point per game and awing us with his type of play.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

One of the most underrated players in the game. Came here to say this: His goal last night...****ing...beautiful. He's gonna be a 90 pt regular.

No Sanguinetti tho

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote