HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Giroux - top ? NHL player?

Old
10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
He's far from underrated

I think he is well on the way to becoming the next Datsyuk though.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I meant no disrespect to Jagr. Unlike a lot of people, I actually think he's still a top player in the game regardless of who he plays with. But, remember, Jagr knew little of this Claude Giroux guy before he came back... might have even pulled a Clarkie and forgot his name! Point is Jagr gets to play with an elite centre to show what he can do. And he will.

Also, he might be sporting wood because of Claude's fine hockey hair... brings him back to his youth.
Fair enough and I agree with you 100%.

I think that Jagr really likes Giroux and wants him to succeed in the NHL and I think we're seeing a legendary future Hall of Fame player taking a flourishing star under his wing.

I think Jagr's presence will benefit the Flyers far more than just on the scoreboard.

Jagr's rejuvenation and his refound passion will be infectuous on the younger players. His work ethic, his experience and his talent will be great for the rest of the team to learn from.

Last edited by livewell68: 10-07-2011 at 12:22 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Underrated by teams not in the Atlantic division*

Regardless, see you tomorrow.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Fair enough and I agree with you 100%.

I think that Jagr really likes Giroux and wants him to succeed in the NHL and I think we're saying a legendary future Hall of Fame player taking a flourishing star under his wing.

I think Jagr's presence will benefit the Flyers far more than just on the scoreboard.

Jagr's rejuvenation and his refound passion will be infectuous on the younger players. His work ethic, his experience and his talent will be great for the rest of the team to learn from.
Interesting you say that (I agree). As an Oilers fan, I'm hoping the Smyth homecoming will have the exact same effect on the kids there.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's still not the best player on the team. That belongs to healthy Pronger.

So he's definitely not a top 5 NHL player.

I'm going to go somewhere 21-30.
We agree to disagree here. Claude is without a doubt our best player. I say right now he is a top 20 player and at 23 hopefully he keeps improving. When a future NHL HOF'er in Jagr is excited about playing with him that has to speak volumes. Sorry Chris. I like Pronger, but Claude gets my vote.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post

Don't include the Penguins in this. When someone even dares mention Giroux in the same breath as their precious Malkin and Crosby, they get so upset about it and start to bash Giroux.

Otherwise I think the Islanders, Devils and Rangers fans all respect Giroux' ability.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:52 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
In the TSN site there are 12 Center's listed before him. I think Toews is ranked way too high and should be ranked lower then Giroux but that's what happens when you are captain of a stanley cup team so young you're automatically overrated. That leaves

Crosby
Datsyuk
H Sedin
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Zetterburg
Kesler
E Staal
B Richards
Kopitar
Malkin
Giroux

Can you really argue any of those? I'd say Kopitar Giroux are about even but Kopitar doesn't play PK minutes I'd probably rank him over Kopitar. Zetterburg and Giroux had almost Identical stats Zetterburg had 1 less Goal 5 more assists and was a -1. Giroux was a +20. Is it really Zetterburgs D or more Datsyuks that Zetterburg also steals some credit for. I would probably rank him over Zetterburg. At this point Zetterburg and Kopitar I think he's right near those 2 in terms of what he brings to the table and I think he does a little bit more then both of them.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
jagrgodr

That goal by giroux was simply amazing. Reminds me of some of Jagr & lemieux's goals from the 90's. Just like this:

This kid is going to be pure AWESOME.

His hair is just awesome too.. maybe a mullet this year?!?!? LOL.

Another cool thing about Jagr, which is completly different from richards & carter, he is all about training and hockey, even off the ice. He leads by example. Instead of going out and drinking at 7pm he goes to the ice. That is just simply amazing.

There was a quote i read from a czech article about Jags saying that he encourages the politicians to not forget about giving money to sports because kids are more likely to stay away from alcohol and drugs if they belong to a team.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
In the TSN site there are 12 Center's listed before him. I think Toews is ranked way too high and should be ranked lower then Giroux but that's what happens when you are captain of a stanley cup team so young you're automatically overrated. That leaves

Crosby
Datsyuk
H Sedin
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Zetterburg
Kesler
E Staal
B Richards
Kopitar
Malkin
Giroux

Can you really argue any of those? I'd say Kopitar Giroux are about even but Kopitar doesn't play PK minutes I'd probably rank him over Kopitar. Zetterburg and Giroux had almost Identical stats Zetterburg had 1 less Goal 5 more assists and was a -1. Giroux was a +20. Is it really Zetterburgs D or more Datsyuks that Zetterburg also steals some credit for. I would probably rank him over Zetterburg. At this point Zetterburg and Kopitar I think he's right near those 2 in terms of what he brings to the table and I think he does a little bit more then both of them.
By seasons end he will pass Zetterburg, Staal, Kopitar, and Richards. To the people in the similar point totals, Giroux's pp points is what kept him down last season and I expect that to improve. Giroux is probably 15-20 after the season imo. He is going to have to have a monster/breakout year to pass any of those other guys.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Maybe we can hope for top 10 someday but not top 5. Right now i would say 21-30.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Midnight Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post

Buh buy.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
On a list that includes goaltenders, TSN put Giroux at #25 overall: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=49958

Claude was playing like a grown-ass man last night. I'd bet the general consensus will have him in the top 15 next season.

Jesus, we traded away 2 of the top 50 players in the league and we STILL have 3 guys in that top 50.

I have a few issues with that list (like Toews and Kane being so high) and others being below Giroux but I think it's probably pretty fair to call him the 25th best player at this point in time. I think he could easily clime into the top 15 of that list if he plays the entire year like a man possessed (ala last night).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Giroux is a top 10 player in the league. I look at it like this - most of the top players have already played their position for most of their career. Giroux was moved off the wing to center and has flourished since becoming a center mid last year. Not many players can do what Giroux did and make that transition rather seamless. To me, that's what makes Giroux all the more impressive. Let's face it - the only reason he's underrated by the league is because he plays on a deep and balanced Flyers club. If he played in a place like Phoenix or Florida or a rejuvenated city like Washington, Chicago or Pittsburgh, people would be marveling at his ability.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He's fun to watch, that's for sure.

But he isn't a top 10 player IMO.

Too many other good players who have been dominating for many more years.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

No doubt in my mind he will be a top 10 player in a couple years, right now I'd say he's top 30 for sure.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Jtown

I love Giroux but top 10 is crazy. If he has another great year and gets some individual award consideration i think then you can talk like that but until then 25 is pretty accurate.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Giroux will be better than Toews by season's out. He's not right now, but will be.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

You are lucky guys, Giroux is a huge talent! already a top 15 to me.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Giroux will be better than Toews by season's out. He's not right now, but will be.
I think toews is more overrated than anyone. That being said, he is leaps and bounds better defensively and on faceoffs.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Just in addition to my first comment, the one reason I would put Giroux in the top 30, in spite of a short (but impressive) resume is that he is consistently bad ass in the play-offs. He shows up big. That's what I'm looking for from a guy if we're gonna call him a top player. I think when people say top ten player, they're forgetting just how many good players there are, playing for as many teams as there are in the league. There's a lot of damn teams people.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Remember guys, he's not even better than Jeff Carter

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Top 20 for sure, IMO. Giroux hasn't dominated for as long as some of the other players who you can consider top 20, however just by examination, giroux has more natural talent than a lot of them. The kid just flat out has a skill set that you just cannot teach. The fact that he step it up in a BIG way in the playoffs, and the fact that he thrives under pressure is why this kid is a top 20 player. If he bests his point total this season and exceeds a ppg percentage, I'm willing to talk about him as being top 15, maybe top 10. He's not there yet, but he has the talent and drive to be.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Flyerfan808

As of right now. He is in the top 20. By the end of the season, he may be considered top 10.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Wasn't sure which thread to post this in and I certainly didn't want to crowd up your board with a thread of my own but...

Man. I know it was only one game but Giroux and Jagr looked scary good last night. And that's without even mentioning VanReimsdyk. And it sure as hell seems like Bryz is going to work out awesome for you guys. As much as I (and other Bruins fans) curse some of our guys for just missing the net and shooting it wide, Bryz made just as many great saves.

Pains me to say, obviously but the Flyers this year are well on their way to being one of, if not the best in the league. I can't even imagine how your team will play a couple months from now when everyone on the team finally gels.

on a related note, it's a lot easier for me to come here and say this after winning the Cup, haha. Otherwise I'm sure I would have just buried this opinion deep within my soul and grumble. Either way, great game last night. I thought it was pretty up tempo

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I'm really hoping Jagr doesn't give Roo a swelled head with all this "Your better than Lemiuex" crap.

Its one thing that bothered me about acquiring him. His yippee yappy mouth.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote