Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Fuelled By Passion: The Return Of The Jets Documentary

Old
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50

weird this might actually be a bigger deal than i had imagined when the game was announced and i really didn't think their was any way my expectations could have been met let alone exceeded. what i didn't get is how big a deal this is across the country....its like its more of a canadian thing than it is just a Winnipeg thing.....I was listening to Roy Macgregor today on Hustler and Lawless and he was very good at describing the mood "In Candada" when Winnipeg and Quebec lost their teams and how as a Canadian he was really mad. He did a good job of describing how it was a blow to all of Canada's ego that our game was getting torn away from us in our time of weakness (.65 cent canadian dollar).....Roy writes for the Globe and Mail and he seemed to be just as excited as a Winnipeger and couldn't wait for the big game

Sunday is going to be a once in a life time event and something I will never forget....i hope our boys are ok it has been along time since they played and it will be such a crazy atmosphere that it might be hard for them to get in sink

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

C'Mon guys... this is the 3rd thread today I had to merge because people start threads with the same/ similar topic than an exsisting one. Please, have a look before starting a new thread!

Thanks

10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I have yet to watch the documentary, but have it PVR'ed and will watch after the Bomber game.

It's weird how it hits me. Little things will happen (meeting Slater yesterday) and it just overwhelms me and I have to try to think about something else for fear of tearing up in public.

Sunday is going to be an amazing day. I have a feeling my whole family is going to watch me cry.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
The end credits? Hmm... interesting... well I will PVR it anyway as well as watch it.
Don't want to spoiler this, but I heard that Nick Fury appears at the end and asks Mark Chipman if he wants to be a part of the Avengers Initiative.

Sorry.

Missed it tonight but will definitely watch it on Sunday.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
It's a nice video, but you can tell it was produced by TNSE. There wasn't even a mention of the P&M celebration after Brunt broke the story.

The only issue I had was that they outright said Mason struggled during pre-season and will have to fight for his minutes. I mean, he did struggle, but I didn't expect them to call out one of their own players like that. Maybe they were trying to portray him as pushing Pavelec to be the starter, or maybe they wrote that before Aebischer was assigned to St. John's.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
dobiezeke*

Great show...sent a shiver up my spine. Can`t wait for Sunday.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:27 PM
KingSalamon

Now that the little guy is in bed, I'm getting some tissues and watching it again with no interruptions. lol

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...y.html?cmp=rss

There's a link, should be streamable for those who missed it or watched bomber game instead

mod, perhaps add that to the front page for anyone who wants to watch it online. Its about 45 mins long.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Loved that documentary. I really could have watched another 3-8 hours.

Here was the end credit I mentioned earlier;

Is anyone else wanting to skip Saturday and go right to Sunday at 4pm?

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...y.html?cmp=rss

There's a link, should be streamable for those who missed it or watched bomber game instead

mod, perhaps add that to the front page for anyone who wants to watch it online. Its about 45 mins long.
Was just going to post if anyone had a link. Thanks

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:39 AM
spicy

great work contributing IC.

What a great documentary. I would love to see White Noise, but am with Shaw.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Now that the little guy is in bed, I'm getting some tissues and watching it again with no interruptions. lol
I am trying very very hard not to comment on this post

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Great documentary! Watched it this morning on my PVR. When the Jets announced their return I always thought how cool it would be for ESPN to do a 30 For 30 on this whole saga, and this was the closest thing to it. Although I was surprised they seemed to rush through the period of when the Jets left to when the MTSC was built. I expected them to go into more detail regarding the late 90's/early 2000's.

I was surprised to discover that (or so it seemed to be implied) that Chipman brought in the Moose in 1996 with the intention being for the NHL to return right from the get go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt in WPG View Post
I'll admit I shed some tears watching this. Good job.
I got shivers when they interviewed David the teacher and he mentioned when he had to cover his face when the announcement was made, and when that women fan teared about how she wasn't able to live the experience with her late father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

weird this might actually be a bigger deal than i had imagined when the game was announced and i really didn't think their was any way my expectations could have been met let alone exceeded. what i didn't get is how big a deal this is across the country....its like its more of a canadian thing than it is just a Winnipeg thing.....I was listening to Roy Macgregor today on Hustler and Lawless and he was very good at describing the mood "In Candada" when Winnipeg and Quebec lost their teams and how as a Canadian he was really mad.

I get alot of flack here on HF for having this attitude, but this is really huge for Canadian hockey, not just Winnipeg. I grew up watching hockey after the Jets and Nords left and it was nearly impossible for me to enjoy hockey without the looming talk of more Canadian teams departing, including my Canucks. The American media would always joke about Canada having no more teams, and the Canadian media would always go off about how much of a serious issue it was. It made it very hard for me to enjoy the game I love with all of this talk going around for 10 straight years.

Idiots like ESPN's Rick Reilly who half the time when he would talk hockey, only did it with the intention to piss of Canadians, and would always "jokingly" bring up relocation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ick&id=4906756

Quote:
Do not talk about hockey. A Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup in 17 years. This is possibly because there are no more Canadian hockey teams left. OK, that's not true
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...ife_of_reilly/

Quote:
Or maybe fans hear the rumors that the Oilers are the next Canadian hockey team that's going to pack up and move across the border....

You've only got six teams left out of the 30 in the league, and those six are lookin' paler than a Saskatoon stripper. None of 'em have a snowball's chance this year, and most are broker than Braniff. Meanwhile, there are teams in such hockey hotbeds as Dallas, Miami, Phoenix (you remember that team, right? Used to be in Winnipeg), San Jose and Tampa....

The Avalanche (you remember that team, right? Used to be in Quebec) was on its way to sweepin' out the Canucks four-zip, and most of the Colorado players are Canadians anyhow.

Who's laughing now, Ricky?

Last edited by End on a Hinote: 10-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.
End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

Anyone that can post a way for people that aren't in Canada to watch this (download, unblocked streaming) would be greatly appreciated as the streaming link provided is IP blocked to Canada only...

(I know there's proxy stuff, but I don't really want to get into doing that at the moment...)

ATHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
I got shivers when they interviewed David the teacher and he mentioned when he had to cover his face when the announcement was made, and when that women fan teared about how she wasn't able to live the experience with her late father.
Same. Watching that made me think about 1996, when I lost the Jets and my grandmother in the span of about 4 months (I realize you can't really compare the two, but even still, both were huge parts of my life from a young age, and in the blink of an eye, both were gone).

When I'm at the game tomorrow, I'll be thinking about that game 5 vs. Detroit in the '96 playoffs, watching it with my grandma (big sports fan) at her little bungalow in West Kildonan, where I spent every Friday after school. I remember that game vividly, Nik Khabibulin turned in one of the greatest goaltending performances I've ever seen, and I was just thrilled that I would get one more chance to see the Jets play.

Actually, I'll probably try my hardest not to think about that. I don't want to be a sobbing mess.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
badinsults
TWO WEEKS

Damn, for some reason CBC is blocking the documentary for those outside of Canada. What station in Australia is going to play this, CBC?!?

badinsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHF View Post
Anyone that can post a way for people that aren't in Canada to watch this (download, unblocked streaming) would be greatly appreciated as the streaming link provided is IP blocked to Canada only...

(I know there's proxy stuff, but I don't really want to get into doing that at the moment...)
Another request here, as I'm also outside of North America and can't view the docu on CBC. Any other site carrying it? Can someone host it and provide a link?

As far as the proxy stuff goes, it's hit or miss and mostly miss. Sites are onto that method of bypassing blackouts.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote