HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
^^ actually Gagner alone should get you Turris, if not Turris+.

We're not getting Yandle for the rest. He's too important.

I would be interested in Gormley though, but not at the expense of Omark who we really have no reason to deal. We don't really know what we have with him.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
jsho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
In what world would we have to add a pick to swap Gagner and Turris? I'm not sure if I'd give up my 2nd alone for Turris....okay, I probably would.

But yeah, that package would never pry Yandle out of Phx.
Because I doubt Phx would just give up on him that much. Both players being from the draft year and Turris being a higher pick you might have to add to it. Just saying might from to pov of Phx.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Banny1089

Omark is a skilled player, but as long as Hemsky and Eberle are in Edmonton, Omark will remain on the 3rd line.

You guys are right, Turris/Yandle for Gagner/Omark wouldn't ever work. And to be honest, RNH and Gagner are potentially a very solid one two punch up the middle. However, if you're going to keep Gagner, then Lander becomes expendable. The reason I say this is because Horcoff isn't going anywhere, no one wants his contract. Belanger then fills the other spot at center. So...Seeing as we need a solid D-man, why not package Lander and Omark and a pick or a couple of picks for that matter, and try to bring in a quality D-man?

Old
10-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banny1089 View Post
Omark is a skilled player, but as long as Hemsky and Eberle are in Edmonton, Omark will remain on the 3rd line.

You guys are right, Turris/Yandle for Gagner/Omark wouldn't ever work. And to be honest, RNH and Gagner are potentially a very solid one two punch up the middle. However, if you're going to keep Gagner, then Lander becomes expendable. The reason I say this is because Horcoff isn't going anywhere, no one wants his contract. Belanger then fills the other spot at center. So...Seeing as we need a solid D-man, why not package Lander and Omark and a pick or a couple of picks for that matter, and try to bring in a quality D-man?
I'd much sooner get rid of Belanger than Lander

Old
10-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Banny1089

You have to trade quality to get quality and as it stands right now, Lander and Omark don't have much of a role in Edmonton. Lander will be going down to the AHL when Gagner returns, and like I said Omark is on the 3rd line. It's just a waste having him there, he isn't a third liner. We need a quality D-man badly and the only way it appears we're going to get one is via trade. So, if it takes Lander/Omark + then so be it.

Hall RNH Eberle
Smyth Gagner Hemsky

That's a pretty solid top 6.

Bottom 6 without Omark and Lander:

PRV (will replace Smyth eventually in the top 6) Horcoff Hartikainen
Eager Belanger Jones

Old
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Koto

i dont know why anyone has any interest in turris, hes very similar to gagner/rnh and we have other players who can fill this role

if were dealing with phx it should be for gormley...and in more of a pipe dreamy way oel/yandle

personally i am in favour of moving hemsky and omark, and have a second line of prv-lander-gagner, with pitlick/martindale perhaps pushing lander down in the future

Old
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
zeus3007*

I think Oilers management is pretty sure Lander has a future here. Not this year, I think he does get sent to OKC for this season. But next year, he'll be an Oiler full time. In the future, look for RNH, Lander, Horcoff/Belanger to be our three centers. Which I wouldn't have an issue with at all. Gagner might be trade bait, but not for just anything. I think Tambellini is looking for a Gagner, d-man, prospect/pick package for a top line d-man. Obviously that type of deal isn't out there right now, but it certainly could be shortly. You don't trade guys like Lander, he has had great chemistry with Pajaarvi in the past and has been a great leader everywhere he goes.

Quote:
You have to trade quality to get quality and as it stands right now, Lander and Omark don't have much of a role in Edmonton. Lander will be going down to the AHL when Gagner returns, and like I said Omark is on the 3rd line. It's just a waste having him there, he isn't a third liner. We need a quality D-man badly and the only way it appears we're going to get one is via trade. So, if it takes Lander/Omark + then so be it.

Hall RNH Eberle
Smyth Gagner Hemsky

Eager Belanger Jones

Old
10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Hall RNH Eberle
Smyth Gagner Hemsky

Eager Belanger Jones
You've got to look beyond this year. Lander is clearly in the big picture right now.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Banny1089

I am looking at the big picture. We need a solid d-man. Forwards are way easier to come by then a d-man. We have enough assets. Move someone

Old
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
I am looking at the big picture. We need a solid d-man. Forwards are way easier to come by then a d-man. We have enough assets. Move someone
Lander has minimal value at the moment.. We will need to move more attractive assets like Paajarvi or Gagner to get a solid Dman.

Hall, Smyth,Hartikainen and Eager can do fine as LWers with Hamilton\Pitlick\Tyrvanen \ Petrell being other possibilities.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Lander has minimal value at the moment.. We will need to move more attractive assets like Paajarvi or Gagner to get a solid Dman.

Hall, Smyth,Hartikainen and Eager can do fine as LWers with Hamilton\Pitlick\Tyrvanen \ Petrell being other possibilities.
in a silly way i think most of us (including me) would only move mps for a Dman that the other team wouldn't move for MPS

Old
10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Soundwave

I'd do

Turris + Gormley for Gagner + Omark, but I don't think the Oilers front office likes Turris' character.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
in a silly way i think most of us (including me) would only move mps for a Dman that the other team wouldn't move for MPS
Yup thats what will fetch us a real stud Dman.. Oduya, Aulie etc just wont cut it...

Old
10-14-2011, 08:03 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
After seeing the Sens home opener would anyone be against a deal like this?

To Edm: Gonchar

To Ott: Horcoff + 3rd

Gets us out of a 5.5M contract a year sooner and if Gonchar can maybe find his game here (BIG maybe) this could end up being a huge steal for us.

We'd have to get both to waive there no movement clauses but with the way they're both going to be treated in the next couples years it wouldn't surprise me if they'd waive.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Koto

Quote:
Yup thats what will fetch us a real stud Dman.. Oduya, Aulie etc just wont cut it...
what im saying is we would only accept what other teams wouldnt offer, and therefore he probably wouldn't be a realistic trade chip

Old
10-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Gets us out of a 5.5M contract a year sooner and if Gonchar can maybe find his game here (BIG maybe) this could end up being a huge steal for us.
I've kinda advocated for picking up Gonchar for a while, simply because I think the asking price would be cheap.

Not sure if they'd take Horcoff back though.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd do

Turris + Gormley for Gagner + Omark, but I don't think the Oilers front office likes Turris' character.
Why? Turris brings as much offense as Horcoff and Belanger.. Why waste assets on someone like him when you already have Lander

Old
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
redacted

Last edited by stratedge: 10-14-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Made a Souray comment and then realized there's a whole thread on him
Old
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
what im saying is we would only accept what other teams wouldnt offer, and therefore he probably wouldn't be a realistic trade chip
and what I am saying is that if a team offers Aulie .. we dangle the carrot and ask for Schenn..
They offer Ellis.. we build a package around Paajarvi and ask for Weber.
Once other GMs know that we are offering attractive assets they will rethink about trading players who initially 'they woulndt offer'.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
This is a fair bit of a tangent, but if someone wanted to build a case against our current management, I think the Souray fiasco might be a cornerstone. I was just curious how the guy was making out and decided to check in on him:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Wow, nice start.
souray fiasco had nothing to do with his on-ice performance..
If his head was on straight he wouldve been our #1Dman last season even with Whitney on the club.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

We'd have to get both to waive there no movement clauses but with the way they're both going to be treated in the next couples years it wouldn't surprise me if they'd waive.
I'd be over the moon if they managed to pull off that trade. Gonchar isn't the player he used to be, but he'd still be the best puckmover on the team and would fill a major hole on defense.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
souray fiasco had nothing to do with his on-ice performance..
If his head was on straight he wouldve been our #1Dman last season even with Whitney on the club.
Uh, I kinda doubt that. Whitney before he got hurt was the best Oiler d-man we've had back there since "he who we don't speak of" was acquired in summer 2005 (and yes, a better fit than even Visnovsky).

Lets see what Souray's plus/minus is come the end of the year.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Petro Points

Quote:

OTT is rebuilding and would rather Redden Gonchar then pick up Horc..
Having said that... IMO Horcoff+Klefbom would make it attractive for them since they have a boatload of Swede young Dmen

Old
10-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:

I thought of this very deal (minus the pick) when I heard Gonchar was falling out of favour. Having watched him play I'm not so sure that's a good idea, I'm not sure he's even trying anymore and I get the impression when things go bad he's the kind of guy to just pack it in. Horcoff doesn't have the skill of a Gonchar but his competitive nature and work ethic are undeniable, he's the kind of guy who teaches young players how to act professionally and the kind you want to have to help them develop the right way.

I know how many on this board think and don't want a "no-skill" grinder like Horcoff telling any of our skilled kids what they should be doing on the ice cause heaven forbid they may end up just like him. Often though in real life it's these kind of players that make the best teachers and mentors. I know I would far prefer Charlie Huddy teaching our young defense-men than Paul Coffey, the fact of the matter is you can't teach the kind of skill that Coffey had, but you can teach the attention to detail, work ethic, and defensive aspects of the game that had Huddy play over 1,000 NHL games. Teaching players good habits does not get rid of their skill, it is an additional element that can help make them far better and more productive pro's going forward.

We need defense bad and I think Gonchar might fit better here than Ottawa, but while it's worth considering it's not a trade I'd be willing to make.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:35 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

What about Eberle for Jack Johnson in LA ?

Closed Thread