HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'm with this.

Unless there is some terrific value coming back, there is no point.

They have some nice young D, but adding more young D to an already shaky D isn't a viable solution to 'shore up the D'.

The only type of trade I'd be ok with(and even then pretty much unsure) is:

Gagner + Chorney/Plante
for
Komisarek + 1st/2nd + McKegg

type thing. Where we get a top-4 D-man who can play heavy minutes and won't expose the kids. We get a draft pick in a deep draft. And get a C prospect who's pretty much NHL ready and in the OHL this season.

Apart from that, no interest in bringing in another young D to shore up a shallow D.
no, the third year of his contract will murder us

Old
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Gagner for Aulie, Bozak and a 3rd.
this is crap for us

Old
10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Jesus

Umm shouldn't this be part IX?

As for trading Gagner I would echo previous posts in wanting to do a quantity for quality trade where the Oilers get the quality in the deal. A no.2/3 Dman is what I would expect at a minimum in any trade. Also I would think that Gagner by himself should still have decent value around the league.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Perfect_Drug

I don't see Gagner as a 'Burke' type player.

I don't see Burke giving up much to get him.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no, the third year of his contract will murder us
Your aware in his third year, 2013-14 we only have:

RNH (on his last year of his ELC if he stays up)
Belanger
Horcoff (though he's not on capgeek)
Eager
Lander on the last year of his ELC
Tom Gilbert

Signed.

We'd have only $17 million committed and $47 million in cap space, I'm sure we can handle the last year of his $4.5 mil/yr contract.

Yes Hall, Eberle, MPS and Whitney are due for new contracts, but with the $47 million in cap space, I'm sure we can handle all big raises for those guys (and realistically, all raises to their current contracts should be covered with around an extra $15 million and have some extra funds to play with even if we had a Komi type contract).

EDIT TO ADD: but it's useless to talk about Komi because I'm not sure we can add his cap space, even with Gagner going the other way.

10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Gagner for Aulie, Bozak and a 3rd.

speechless...

Old
10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Your aware in his third year, 2013-14 we only have:

RNH (on his last year of his ELC if he stays up)
Belanger
Horcoff (though he's not on capgeek)
Eager
Lander on the last year of his ELC
Tom Gilbert

Signed.

We'd have only $17 million committed and $47 million in cap space, I'm sure we can handle the last year of his $4.5 mil/yr contract.

Yes Hall, Eberle, MPS and Whitney are due for new contracts, but with the $47 million in cap space, I'm sure we can handle all big raises for those guys (and realistically, all raises to their current contracts should be covered with around an extra $15 million and have some extra funds to play with even if we had a Komi type contract).

EDIT TO ADD: but it's useless to talk about Komi because I'm not sure we can add his cap space, even with Gagner going the other way.
Not that I am advocating for Komisarek, though if it was the Leaf's 1st I'd make the trade you proposed in a heartbeat, but the Oilers can easily handle Komisarek's cap hit. They have $2.8M in cap space left with 26 people on the roster.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1685
anyone who want komiserek needs to give thier head a shake

why?

1) Bad contract
2) 5-6 d-man--we already have guys in the lower half that can play those minutes
3) Whenever he plays more the 18minutes a game he is aweful in the third period--he is a 12-15 minute man---when you factor that into with his contract--it is even uglier
4) signed for 3 more years
5) We have kids coming up in the system in the ahl that need some spot duty with the team to get their feet wet--we have smid, Whitney and Gilbert signed for 2 more seasons, Peckham and Petry growing and developing and we have Barker and Sutton to fill in the gaps..on the farm we have plante, Tuebert, Marincin, and a couple of other guys we need to start pushing to see if they will be NHL d-man and to find out they need ice time--Having Komi at 5-6 takes away from them. Komi is a 5-6 d-man and not the 3-4 guy they are looking for

Old
10-07-2011, 04:51 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
We'd be lucky to get that much for Gagner, honestly.

Not dumping on Gagner, but to get a Top 4 defenseman and a Top 6 centerman plus a 3rd coming back for him is good value.
Were probably the only team that Aulie would be a top 4 defenseman and that's only because of our injuries.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
We'd be lucky to get that much for Gagner, honestly.

Not dumping on Gagner, but to get a Top 4 defenseman and a Top 6 centerman plus a 3rd coming back for him is good value.
I'm not convinced that Aulie is a top4 dman and Bozak sure isn't a top 6 centreman.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Were probably the only team that Aulie would be a top 4 defenseman and that's only because of our injuries.
Yeah I was gonna comment on the Aulie being a top 4 d-man but figured I'd leave it well enough alone.

Is our defense that bad that people are starving for scraps like Aulie, Lashoff, Komisarek? Or is it just the inactivity since July 1st from our GM?

Old
10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I'm not convinced that Aulie is a top4 dman and Bozak sure isn't a top 6 centreman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah I was gonna comment on the Aulie being a top 4 d-man but figured I'd leave it well enough alone.

Is our defense that bad that people are starving for scraps like Aulie, Lashoff, Komisarek? Or is it just the inactivity since July 1st from our GM?
If you ask the leaf fans they will tell you Aulie is a top D-man and be serious about it

Old
10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
proposal of the day:

To Tor: R.Jones
To Edm: Franson

Old
10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
If you ask the leaf fans they will tell you Aulie is a top D-man and be serious about it
They will also tell you that Gunnerson is a top pairing D.

take a look at this to see how they overvalue their players

http://www.nhl-trade-rumors.com/

pure comedy gold!

Old
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Just to parrot others here... if the Oilers are going to be trading for a dman it has to be a decent one (top pairing potential) or else just stick to the rebuild and let the prospects develop (my preference by far).

Komisarek for example last season played 75 games... ~13 minutes a game... 1 goal and 9 assists. Had the 5th most SH toi among dmen and is not a PP option AT ALL.

He's pretty much the definition of a utility #6 dman. He can hit and block the puck. He's essentially a Jim Vandermeer type in terms of his NHL comparison. In fact I'd give the edge to Vandermeer if I had to choose between them especially seeing that Komi makes a ridiculous 5.5 million this year.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
proposal of the day:

The Leafs gave up less than Jones to get both Franson and Lombardi. Seems like an overpayment to me.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

Regardless of the targets, our D is that bad.

We may have to go a month+ with:

Gilbert-Barker
Petry-Sutton
Peckham-Potter
Chorney

2 guys on there couldn't get ES time on the 3rd pairings of their former teams over the likes of Clayton Stoner and Sheldon Brookbank (Barker and Sutton).

We have a guy who basically got his feet wet last year, but isn't really ready to take a commanding role on the backend (Petry).

One guy who is a AHL/NHL tweener till this year. He hasn't cemented him self as an NHL regular, while playing very well at an AHL level.

Then look at the issues regarding our very own injured guys. Whitney's foot is unreliable. In September, he said there was no real timetable for his return, I'm not sure that has been updated at all, but that's incredibly worrying to hear from your best D-man, and probably not something you can count to last the whole season.

Smid is injured for atleast a month(IIRC). Even then, his development has definitely not gone to plan. While I can appreciate that defensive D-man like him take time to develop, his last few years have been worrying. While his first 2 seasons were really well, a lot of what he had shown in those 2 seasons were not really there in the last 2 years. The incredible calm under pressure had left, and replaced with more panic decisions, the physical play which caused opposing players to respect trying to go around him left, and while we did have physical play, it wasn't the confident type we are used to before. The most important thing missing was his defensive positioning. What I loved most about Smid going forward from his 1st 2 years were his defensive positioning. It was always the smart simple play. Something that would keep him in the NHL in a fairly important role for around 5-7 years atleast. That left him the last 2 years.

Overall our D is quite suspect, and while we've stock piled a lot of young D-man, they need some quality veteran guidance on the ice. Throwing them out there and asking them to swim isn't the best situation.

That's why I want a veteran top-4 guy mostly. Someone who can play tough minutes, while sheltering and mentoring the young kids.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
proposal of the day:

I think the Oilers would have to add a little bit more to get Franson, like a 3rd or 4th pick. Problem is that the Leafs are loaded with wingers like Jones and most likely pass.

If any Oiler fan wanted to trade for Komiserek, must be secretly a Leafs fan. Nobody in their right mind would want Komiserek and his bad contract on their team.

The Oilers are not that desperate to trade with the Leafs, so get your minds out of the gutter.

Old
10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
There is a trade being discussed on trade rumor board where it is gagner for McBain. Frankly i like that trade and it seems to work for both teams.
No thanks. McBain is basically a Gilbert clone, just younger and thus more potential.

I don't see why there is any rush to deal Gagner. Lets see how both Nuge and Lander hold up first. Not to mention a team with as many man games lost to injury as us the last two years should embrace the depth at forward we currently have rather than dismantle it.

I would much rather trade a pick/prospect with one of our current D to try and make an upgrade if we want to actually appear competitive this year.

My suggestions:

To WPG: Chorney, 3rd '12 (LAK)

To EDM: Stuart

To PHX: Barker, Martindale, 3rd '12

To EDM: Roszival

Would give us a much more NHL calibre D.

Old
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I would so keep Gagner over Horcoff. Let Gags stay and prove what he can do. Give him the 2C role and let him fight for his job with Lander/Pitlick/Martindale when they're ready.

The only way I would welcome Komisarek on our team is if they take Horcoff's contract off our hands.

I don't get why a GM would give a player a potential unmovable contract and a no movement clause. If you want lots of money, we have the option to move you if you stop playing well. Or if you want security in wanting to know you won't be moved, you take less money.

Horcoff and Komisarek have bad contracts and no movement clauses. If only both players would agree to be moved.

Old
10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Hairball

Sorry, OT here. It should be part IX in the title.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
No thanks. McBain is basically a Gilbert clone, just younger and thus more potential.

I don't see why there is any rush to deal Gagner. Lets see how both Nuge and Lander hold up first. Not to mention a team with as many man games lost to injury as us the last two years should embrace the depth at forward we currently have rather than dismantle it.

I would much rather trade a pick/prospect with one of our current D to try and make an upgrade if we want to actually appear competitive this year.

My suggestions:

To WPG: Chorney, 3rd '12 (LAK)

To EDM: Stuart

To PHX: Barker, Martindale, 3rd '12

To EDM: Roszival

Would give us a much more NHL calibre D.
The idea of giving up a prospect for Roszival makes me ill, No thanks.

And the Peg doesn't take that deal.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
ManBearPig tweeting Tor in talks about a multi player deal involving some of Gagner, Petry, Pitlick and Omark.

Man that should at least get us Gunner hopefully

Old
10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
ManBearPig tweeting Tor in talks about a multi player deal involving some of Gagner, Petry, Pitlick and Omark.

Man that should at least get us Gunner hopefully
A little slow on the uptake? Really easy to speculate who the players might be once it is deemed that a team is interested in a player.

10-07-2011, 11:27 PM
SDig14

For some reason it just doesn't make much sense to me.

IMO, Gagner doesn't really play the style that Burke loves to play, so not sure he would give us the type of return we would be looking for anyways.

Also, I don't get the impression that Gunner is exactly the type of guy we would ever overpay to get. Where does he fit in?

He looks like a slightly more offensive version of Smid. Both make a good first pass and can skate it out of their end, but Gunner is much better offensively and Smid has the mean streak and grit on his side.

Closed Thread