HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
victor

vCash: 500
This doesn't make sense - although what if it's not Gunnar?

What if it's an Edmonton boy targeted after all?

Phaneuf?

Makes more sense than the potential other offers. High contract, local boy, physical?

Could help both teams.

Old
10-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The idea of giving up a prospect for Roszival makes me ill, No thanks.

And the Peg doesn't take that deal.
The idea of considering Martindale as an important prospect makes me ill, so we'll call it a wash.

As far as the Peg, I admit I may have undervalued Stuart, but he's a hard guy to gage proper value for. 3 yrs ago he was a near untouchable in Beantown, nearly the equivalent of Marc Staal. Now I'd say he's a shade of that, but as you mentioned probably still worth a little more than my suggested deal. But given the Peg's strength at D, financial considerations (the mil saved on the deal), and maybe an upgraded pick, perhaps then they consider?

Old
10-08-2011, 12:35 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
This doesn't make sense - although what if it's not Gunnar?

What if it's an Edmonton boy targeted after all?

Phaneuf?

Makes more sense than the potential other offers. High contract, local boy, physical?

Could help both teams.
I think that Phaneuf is the only one they're not offering. Burke and Wilson made him the captain....Dion Phaneuf.... The captain. They're in love with the guy.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Belcriss
Positive steps

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Just say no to Phaneuf

Old
10-08-2011, 06:30 AM
TootooTrain
-

Hey guys what are your thoughts on Hamilton or Hartikainen. Are they disposable for the right price? I'd prefer either of those two over Omark.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Hey guys what are your thoughts on Hamilton or Hartikainen. Are they disposable for the right price? I'd prefer either of those two over Omark.
I'd rather let go of Hamilton than Hartikainen or Omark. Call me crazy but I'd rather keep Martindale just going off this years camp alone.

If there is a trade with the Leafs in place, Burke is most likely looking at either Whitney, Gilbert, Potter, Petry or Pitlick. You can probably guess what these players have in common.

Last edited by jukon: 10-08-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Martindale looks like he is going to be awesome. A Dustin Penner type player who plays the pivot? Whats not to like?

Old
10-08-2011, 09:26 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

I would love the Oil to get phaneuf. Best deal they could make.

Gagner and whomever for phaneuf is a dream come true over here. He needs to be somewhere he is happy to have absolute success like he did when he came in to the league.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Maximum Cheddar

As a Leafs and Oilers fan I generally think that both teams would like pieces that the other team is unwilling to give up. With the surplus of centers that the Leafs have I'm not sure why the would trade for another. That leads me to believe that if a deal is going to happen involving Gagner that a center would be coming back. As far as Bozak goes there are several things he has over Gagner. He is bigger,faster, stronger better on faceoffs and more defensively responsible, while still providing about 1/2 to 3/4 of Gagner's offence. This is by no means taking shots at Gagner(I like him just fine). As a fan of both teams I just think that Leaf fans overrate Bozak and everyone else underrates him. With the Oilers needing defense I could see the multi player trade the link was suggesting might happen. Probably a Leaf d-man and center for an Oiler center and winger or draft pick? Maybe Cody Franson and Bozak for Gagner and something? Personally I would like Bozak to stay on the Leafs and Gagner to stay on the Oil. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Koto

long term id rather keep harti>>>>>omark>hamilton

omark to me is kinda dependant on hemsky and gagner, i think one of them will be our 2RW, the other two can be traded

Old
10-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The idea of considering Martindale as an important prospect makes me ill, so we'll call it a wash.

As far as the Peg, I admit I may have undervalued Stuart, but he's a hard guy to gage proper value for. 3 yrs ago he was a near untouchable in Beantown, nearly the equivalent of Marc Staal. Now I'd say he's a shade of that, but as you mentioned probably still worth a little more than my suggested deal. But given the Peg's strength at D, financial considerations (the mil saved on the deal), and maybe an upgraded pick, perhaps then they consider?
So you kinda missed the point on Martindale, but whatever.

I don't think the Peg has any financial considerations, and if they did they'd trade Oduya first.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:10 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
I would love the Oil to get phaneuf. Best deal they could make.

Gagner and whomever for phaneuf is a dream come true over here. He needs to be somewhere he is happy to have absolute success like he did when he came in to the league.
I'd bet good money that the last player you would see moved from Toronto is Phaneuf.

He's the captain, best player, and both Burke and Wilson love him.

He's been playing like a legitimate number one for a while now, and the Leafs can't move him.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I'd bet good money that the last player you would see moved from Toronto is Phaneuf.

He's the captain, best player, and both Burke and Wilson love him.

He's been playing like a legitimate number one for a while now, and the Leafs can't move him.
I agree, wholeheartedly. Just sayin, I would like him on the Oil whether or not he is the player he was a few years ago.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Ya I guess I shouldn't put Bozak in but it make it wouldn't make sense becsause the Leafs will have too many centers.

Aulie and Frattin for Gagner.

We get a good defensive prospect and a another prospect that is a powerforward.
You won't get Frattin in a deal with Gagner. He is regarded by most fans (Leaf fans) as slower and injury prone. Most around here are happy with Bozak as our 3C and with Connolly and Grabo, not much room for Gagner.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

What does the goalie pipeline look like in Edmonton. Maybe there is something to work around a young goalie, d-man and Orr(once he proves he can fight again tonight) to protect the kids and keep Hall from fighting.

I think these teams probably make as good of trading partners as any...different conferences and they seem to have what the other might want(although may not be willing to give up).

Old
10-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Kulemon

I don't see any point to having a deal like this. We need top line players and Gagner isn't one. That's all there is to it. Why would Burke give up Gunnarsson who is looking realllly solid this season and Bozak who also looks better for Gagner and have him be behind Connolly and Grabo? Not trashing Gagner or anything because he is a good player but no way he cracks our top-six.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Note to the other team fans: Know which team's boards your on. Most Oiler fans like discussing hockey with any teams fans, but only if your respectful.

Anything else, and you will be removed.

10-08-2011, 11:55 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So you kinda missed the point on Martindale, but whatever.

I don't think the Peg has any financial considerations, and if they did they'd trade Oduya first.
Exactly, Stuart is cheap and brings a physical dimension to our team; he also has looked great playing next to Bogosian on what looks to be our shut down pairing. Oduya will probably be moved at the deadline to make room for Postma who really should have made the team out of camp.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Slickster

Actually the comment is very fair and correct. a team's top six is really determined by their top two or three players. The leafs top three is Kessel, Grabovski and Kulemin. That doesn't stack up well against at least 70 percent of the league. Is it better than Hemsky, Hall and Eberle? Not for long if even now.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:12 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickster View Post
Actually the comment is very fair and correct. a team's top six is really determined by their top two or three players. The leafs top three is Kessel, Grabovski and Kulemin. That doesn't stack up well against at least 70 percent of the league. Is it better than Hemsky, Hall and Eberle? Not for long if even now.
Last year the Leafs had one of the most cost effective and efficient offensive lines in the league (Grabovski/Kulemin/MacArthur), who were all only in their third full NHL seasons. People don't really give them a lot of room for improvement, but they could continue to get better.

Kessel played with virtually nobody until Lupul arrived, and then went on a PPG+ tear (29 points in the final 28 games). This year he has a proven top 6 center in Connolly (.8PPG since the lockout) to go along with Lupul on the wing.

Is it ideal? No, but is it one of the worst top 6s in the league? I wouldn't say so.

Also, there was a statement regarding having virtually no good prospects coming up, which is pretty ridiculous if you're at all familiar with the Leafs' system.

I'm just trying to be respectful here, so I don't think I'm posting anything wrong, just giving my take on things.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
You won't get Frattin in a deal with Gagner. He is regarded by most fans (Leaf fans) as slower and injury prone. Most around here are happy with Bozak as our 3C and with Connolly and Grabo, not much room for Gagner.
Bozak is garbage, Connolly is already injured and avoids corners like he's allergic to them.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
And yet he gave up the world for Phil "soft with zero defensive skill" Kessel.

Gagner point per game first 4 seasons: 0.60
Kessel point per game first 4 season: 0.62

Way to go Burkie!
kessel is a pure sniper and was brought in for the O so his "defensive skill" is somewhat irreverent sure we would love him to contribute defensively it would make him overall a complete 2 way player

Kessel 96 goals in first 4 season (minus last season stats)
Gagner 59 goals in 4 seasons

Old
10-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
kessel is a pure sniper and was brought in for the O so his "defensive skill" is somewhat irreverent sure we would love him to contribute defensively it would make him overall a complete 2 way player

Kessel 96 goals in first 4 season (minus last season stats)
Gagner 59 goals in 4 seasons
based on the last 4 seasons stats.. Gagner would be TOR's #1C.
He is EDM's #1C this year and will not be traded unless a hole on the roster is filled.
#4 Dman is not it!

All this Gagner to talk is not based on EDM being interested in a TOR Dman.. its based on Tor looking for Gagner and having 7 NHL dmen.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Bryanbryoil

It would be a complete waste of time for then Oilers to trade Gagner for Bozak + unless that + was a mighty big one. Everyone knows that I am not a Gagner fan, but trading him for downgrades is going ass backwards.

10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It would be a complete waste of time for then Oilers to trade Gagner for Bozak + unless that + was a mighty big one. Everyone knows that I am not a Gagner fan, but trading him for downgrades is going ass backwards.
I'd agree that it makes no sense to move Gagner for Bozak+.

I know a lot of Leaf fans are in here defending Bozak, but he's proven absolutely nothing other than having a great first 37 games, then a lousy last season (justifiably though).

I still have high hopes for him, but there's nothing that makes him better Gagner now, or in the future.

Closed Thread