HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Hey guys what are your thoughts on Hamilton or Hartikainen. Are they disposable for the right price? I'd prefer either of those two over Omark.
It all depends on what our plans are with Hemsky, if we plan on keeping him it might make more sense to move Omark, if not then chances are that we are looking to keep Omark. Hartikainen is a guy that I see as a core piece and I wouldn't move him unless we had a tremendous prospect or in a package for a #1D. Hamilton would be the guy that I'd be looking at moving over Hartikainen. That said his value should be pretty high, he's big, and skates very well and he thinks the game well in all 3 zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I'd agree that it makes no sense to move Gagner for Bozak+.

I know a lot of Leaf fans are in here defending Bozak, but he's proven absolutely nothing other than having a great first 37 games, then a lousy last season (justifiably though).

I still have high hopes for him, but there's nothing that makes him better Gagner now, or in the future.
Yeah Bozak showed promise, but unlike Gagner who has kind of run in place, Bozak regressed. The whole idea of the Oilers moving Gagner is because we like what we have down the middle even with him out of the picture. We cannot move Horcoff like you cannot move Komisarek, so we are stuck with him. This means that Anton Lander takes up our last C spot. We need D or picks for Gagner, not another C unless it's an upgrade and of course in that case we'd have to add.

10-08-2011, 01:43 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Note to the other team fans: Know which team's boards your on. Most Oiler fans like discussing hockey with any teams fans, but only if your respectful.

Anything else, and you will be removed.
this should be noted to all fans of other boards

THIS IS THE OILER BOARD

when we venture forth to other boards we often find ourselves on the losing end of the stick and reminded by the powers that be that keep some comments to your home board--well this is our home board--and I will no longer be nice to people who come here and are less then friendly here---if we have to play nice on other boards---you guys gotta play nice here

I know I just the "Why are the oilers so bad" on the main discussion board

Old
10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

THIS IS THE OILER BOARD

when we venture forth to other boards we often find ourselves on the losing end of the stick and reminded by the powers that be that keep some comments to your home board--well this is our home board--and I will no longer be nice to people who come here and are less then friendly here---if we have to play nice on other boards---you guys gotta play nice here

we need a THIS IS SPAARTAAA picture to go with this comment

Its ok... we'll be nice to all that come here and let the mods deal with the not so nice ones ..

Old
10-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

THIS IS THE OILER BOARD

I have no problem with it, as long they keep their silly comments to them self's and add to the discussion.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
kessel is a pure sniper and was brought in for the O so his "defensive skill" is somewhat irreverent sure we would love him to contribute defensively it would make him overall a complete 2 way player

Kessel 96 goals in first 4 season (minus last season stats)
Gagner 59 goals in 4 seasons
Is that why Wilson had him playing on the 4th line last year????

Old
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
what?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:44 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Aulie isnt a Top 4 d-man, Bozak isnt a top 6 forward. 3rd rounder is of little value.
Gagne isn't a top6 forward.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm sorry, but what?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Eytinge

Where did all these Leaf fans come from? Do they have to defend Kessel's honor anytime someone brings him up?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:49 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

here comes the leaf fans

this is going to be fun

I am ready for a fight

Old
10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
birddog*

Any trade needs to work for both teams and it's tough to see how Gagne makes sense for the Leafs.

With Lupul, Connolly, Kessel, Kulemin, Grabovski and McArthur in the top 6 -- there isn't a spot for him -- he's not going to take a spot from Connolly or Grabo.

Gagne is the type of tweener as others mentioned -- like Stajan -- and others the Leafs have plenty of: Lombardi, McArthur, Kadri, Bozak, etc. etc. He's not good enough on the draw, sound enough defensively or physical enough to warrent consideration as a 3rd liner -- yet his offense leaves him out of the top 6. Leafs have 10 guys like him already.

It's no slight on Gagne but asking for a top 4 dman for a guy that is redundant doesn't make sense.

It should also be obvious to fans that Brian Burke is NOT going to trade the teams 1st round pick after the debacle that happened with Kessel. The only way that pick moves is for a bona-fide star.Gagne is not that player.

Burke was recently quoted as saying he would like to trade two young players for an impact top 6 player. The Leafs already have depth -- they don't need more.

That said it's understandable why the Oilers would want a defenseman and would be offering Gagne around the league. But that offer doesn't make sense for the Leafs -- Gagne would just create a bigger log jam.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:06 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Where did all these Leaf fans come from? Do they have to defend Kessel's honor anytime someone brings him up?
remeber yesterday I said don't suggest a Schenn for Gagner trade?

Someone did and leafs went off the deep end and suggest he is a top 10 d-man in the league. It is on the trade board locked of course(next time a leaf fan suggest Komi for Gagner I say we act like they did in that thread--some of the comments were just uncalled for)

Old
10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hahaha, don't try and sell Joffrey freaking Lupul as a capable top-six player to Oilers fans. We know how flakey and unreliable he is.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Oilers fans are down on Gagner - justly or unjustly depending on your perspective - but he's most definitely a top six forward on our team right now.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Oilers fans are down on Gagner - justly or unjustly depending on your perspective - but he's most definitely a top six forward on our team right now.
Do you see him in that role in the future or on a Stanley Cup contender?

I still think he's a good young player and would be the perfect fit for a team like Ottawa. He'd develop for another year or two and be a good number 2.

I think Burke has blue and white disease and needs to win now after 6 yars out of the playoffs. This alone makes adding Gagner right now a poor fit.

Trading Gunnarson+Bozak+prospect for a top 6 forward with size makes more sense. Not saying that is going to happen -- it would have already if it was that easy -- but that's Burke's obvious goal.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
based on the last 4 seasons stats.. Gagner would be TOR's #1C.
He is EDM's #1C this year and will not be traded unless a hole on the roster is filled.
#4 Dman is not it!

All this Gagner to talk is not based on EDM being interested in a TOR Dman.. its based on Tor looking for Gagner and having 7 NHL dmen.

^^^^ This

Trying to make some sense of this speculation. It would be very rash of Tambo to be shopping Gagner right now and rash is one thing Tambo is not. We just don't know yet if RNH and Lander can prove themselves ready to step straight into the NHL and that means Gagner is a valuable piece on the Oilers right now.
So if Tambo is not shopping him and the "Gagner to the Leafs" is more than just speculation it is more likely that that Burke is interested in Gagner.
If we were to move Gagner now the return would have to be at the very least full value and more than likely something we couldn't resist.
Also with our contract situation more contracts would have to be traded away than coming back which means that Gagner would likely not be the best player in the deal. The only deal that would make sense for the Oilers would be Gagner as part of a package for Schenn and quite frankly that is not happening.
Throwing Bozak into the deal with a D man is pointless firstly because of the contract situation and secondly because if we are trading Gagner it will be because RNH and Lander have proved themselves and we also have Horcoff and Belanger so where would Bozak fit? - Oklahoma City?. It just does not help.
I just don't see a deal to be made with the Leafs.

Just noticed this from Dan Tencer on twitter:

McGuire says talk of a possible Oilers/Leafs deal is "sheer speculation" and he expects an Oilers deal for a d-man to happen later in year.

Makes sense to me and when we deal for a D man, I don't expect it will be with the leafs. I think there are better D men with higher upside to be had in a deal involving Gagner than those available from the Leafs.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:45 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Top 6, try top 3. He is the Oilers best C offensively and would be the leafs number number 1 or 2. Although two years from now the Oilers may not need him and I'm not a fan of him that doesn't change the fact he is a top 6 C now and will be one for the next 10 years to say anything else is laughable. Oh and don't give me the BS that Connolly is your #1, he was the scraps that no one else wanted after Burke struck out on a trade and signing the big fish. Just saying.
Leafs number 1? How is he better than Grabovsky?

Old
10-08-2011, 03:46 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
the signing of Connolly is equivalent to Tambo signing Barker yes they can be helpful if things work out and if they don't oh well. The difference is Barker is signed for 1 year and Connolly is signed for 2 years with a limited no trade clause.

Because its thanksgiving I will use this as a metaphor;
Connolly and Barker are like the 'Popes Nose" or "Gizzard" of the turkey yes its edible and would help you survive if you were starving but if you had a choice would you really want to eat it?

Old
10-08-2011, 03:47 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Leafs number 1? How is he better than Grabovsky?
Considering this "Grabovsky" isn't even in the NHL, I'd say it's safe to assume Gagner is better.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
the signing of Connolly is equivalent to Tambo signing Barker yes they can be helpful if things work out and if they don't oh well. The difference is Barker is signed for 1 year and Connolly is signed for 2 years with a limited no trade clause.

Because its thanksgiving I will use this as a metaphor;
Connolly and Barker are like the 'Popes Nose" or "Gizzard" of the turkey yes its edible and would help you survive if you were starving but if you had a choice would you really want to eat it?
Barker has had 0 success in his career and Connolly has put up:

63 games 55 points
48 games 40 points
48 games 47 points
73 games 65 points
68 games 42 points

That's like comparing Hemsky to Barker. Hemsky is the perfect comparison to Connolly -- two guys that are injured a lot -- but produce when healthy.

Barker is not a good comparison.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
This is the Oilers board, don't come in here and whine about what Oilers fans are saying.

If you don't like it, get out.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted post
Old
10-08-2011, 03:57 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Barker has had 0 success in his career and Connolly has put up:

63 games 55 points
48 games 40 points
48 games 47 points
73 games 65 points
68 games 42 points

That's like comparing Hemsky to Barker. Hemsky is the perfect comparison to Connolly -- two guys that are injured a lot -- but produce when healthy.

Barker is not a good comparison.
Barker had 40 pts in 68 games in 08-09. That may be just a drop in the bucket on a squad as dominant and as successful as the Leafs, but for the rest of the NHL, that's not so bad.

Old
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
This is the Oilers board, don't come in here and whine about what Oilers fans are saying.

If you don't like it, get out.
So Oiler fans get to say whatever they want? Even if it is against HF rules?

All I've done is come here and try to add to the conversation while Oiler fans have repeatedly tried to engage.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Deleted inflammatory comment
Old
10-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
I'm sorry, but what?
Oh how quickly you leafs fan forget. Wilson was upset with Kessels work ethic last season and lack of production, as a result he was busted down to the 4th line.

If you don't believe me do a quick youtube search "ron wilson phil kessel"

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...n+phil+kessel+

And you can rewatch the drama for yourself.

Old
10-08-2011, 04:10 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
So Oiler fans get to say whatever they want? Even if it is against HF rules?

All I've done is come here and try to add to the conversation while Oiler fans have repeatedly tried to engage.
well on the leaf board I have seen the comments aimed towards the oilers and their fans

they are on the same level--

so deal with it
don't like--stay off our boards as that is what the message we get from the leaf board when we disagree or defend

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Closed Thread