HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Gamecenter and NHL Center Ice package discussions Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 11:50 AM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Anyone see today's Puck Daddy? Nashville and Carolina have expanded their coverage to the Atlanta television market, to gain more viewers and to help ease the loss of the Thrashers.

Except now apparently, Atlanta is in the blackout zone for both teams on Gamecenter. Talk about kicking someone when they're down
Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14363

And yes, it's ridiculous. I'm trying to find a number to call and complain to the Center Ice folks other than Comcast. No luck so far though.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:54 AM
FlyerGuy18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
I had the same problem, out of the 6 games that were played yesterday, ALL of them were blacked out. Unbelievable.. I thought that according to their FAQ, only local games and ones that are broadcast nationally either in Canada or US are blacked out. Well this doesn't seem to be the case. I find it incredibly frustrating to have to resort to this guesswork, if they won't show 90% of the games then at least tell me what games I will be able to watch instead of having to try the links and be disappointed.

So far the $159 is not worth it what so ever. I have been able to watch like 3 games so far (and that includes the preseason). I watched two Winnipeg games and for some reason the Phi-Bos game worked the other night.

Not impressed, and BTW, the Boxee app is absolute garbage, it's cumbersome and never works properly.

Every game tonight except Leafs/Sens is blacked out for me. Would not doubt if the free preview for Center Ice has something to do with this. I should get a $20 refund for only being able to watch one game a week this month

Old
10-08-2011, 11:55 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Anyone see today's Puck Daddy? Nashville and Carolina have expanded their coverage to the Atlanta television market, to gain more viewers and to help ease the loss of the Thrashers.

Except now apparently, Atlanta is in the blackout zone for both teams on Gamecenter. Talk about kicking someone when they're down
That's just because of a technicality isn't it? So stupid.

A question regarding blackout restrictions that I am not 100% clear on. On Center Ice, the Nashville and Carolina games will be blacked out, but would they be blacked out also on the Sportsouth/Foxsportsouth channels? Meaning, would they be blacked out on every channel just because you have Center Ice? I hope I'm clear on this.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:02 PM
SilverRiver89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
That's just because of a technicality isn't it? So stupid.

A question regarding blackout restrictions that I am not 100% clear on. On Center Ice, the Nashville and Carolina games will be blacked out, but would they be blacked out also on the Sportsouth/Foxsportsouth channels? Meaning, would they be blacked out on every channel just because you have Center Ice? I hope I'm clear on this.
No. We should be able to watch the FS South/Sportsouth games without a problem. It works the other way around from what you're thinking. Games that are on locally are the ones that are blacked out on Center Ice. The games available on Center Ice can't black out local games though

Old
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
No. We should be able to watch the FS South/Sportsouth games without a problem. It works the other way around from what you're thinking. Games that are on locally are the ones that are blacked out on Center Ice. The games available on Center Ice can't black out local games though
Ok thanks. Just wanted to have that cleared up. So the other 40 games from each of Nashville and Carolina that aren't aired on SS/FS will not be viewable on CI right?

Old
10-08-2011, 12:13 PM
SilverRiver89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Ok thanks. Just wanted to have that cleared up. So the other 40 games from each of Nashville and Carolina that aren't aired on SS/FS will not be viewable on CI right?
Unless they change something, correct. There doesn't seem to be a legal way to watch the games we're not getting (unless you can order FS Tennessee and FS Carolinas?).

Old
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
edsqu

I used to get around the black outs using proxpn. It seems to not work as well as it did last year... anyone in the same boat (poor college student that cant afford cable..)

Old
10-08-2011, 12:25 PM
stug*

What are blackouts? And why do some people get it?

Old
10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
What are blackouts? And why do some people get it?
Well, a blackout happens when grownups drink too much alcohol, and then they wake up without their pants (and wallet), an intense headache, and no clue of what happened or what's going on.

It's exactly like being an NHL hockey fan, and just trying to watch your favorite team.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:38 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
Every game tonight except Leafs/Sens is blacked out for me. Would not doubt if the free preview for Center Ice has something to do with this. I should get a $20 refund for only being able to watch one game a week this month
Maybe that would explain it, still doesn't make it right for the folks who are dishing out a lot of cash to watch some games.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Barton
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
NYR@LAK also blackout here in Italy.
ANA@BUF works.
This doesn't make sense at all.
Seriously ? Blackouts in Europe ? I sent an email two weeks ago to the GCL staff asking them about blackouts and they told me that there ISN'T any blackouts outside the US&Canada. It's ridiculous.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
I was told that Rogers Cable will be sending out their promo codes for NHL GCL on October 20th.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton View Post
Seriously ? Blackouts in Europe ? I sent an email two weeks ago to the GCL staff asking them about blackouts and they told me that there ISN'T any blackouts outside the US&Canada. It's ridiculous.
The sad thing is, in Germany you can watch ALL games without any blackouts, but when you live in Austria or Italy you`re screwed.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
The sad thing is, in Germany you can watch ALL games without any blackouts, but when you live in Austria or Italy you`re screwed.
Tonight in Welsh-Tirol NYR@ANA is blackout
It seems that every game on Versus is blackouted. Maybe I should watch it on Versus. Oh wait ...

Old
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Beefeater
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Have you been in contact with them regarding this? I was told there would be no blackouts here in Austria. The blackouts seems pretty random. Could watch Ottawa vs Detroit last night but not Rangers vs Anaheim that is on now.

Being a Swede I subscribe to a VPN service giving me a Swedish IP, for other services. Streaming the game successfully through that connection now. https://www.anonine.com if anyone is interested, only a couple of EUR/month. But who knows, perhaps you will see blackouts for all games in Sweden soon ..

Old
10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
city2000

I'm having some issues with the PS3 app where some of the live feeds are switching between SD and HD every 30 seconds or so. I have no issues on the PC or Iphone and MLB.tv on the PS3 works pretty smoothly aswell but has anyone else had issues with the PS3 app?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
Have you been in contact with them regarding this? I was told there would be no blackouts here in Austria. The blackouts seems pretty random. Could watch Ottawa vs Detroit last night but not Rangers vs Anaheim that is on now.

Being a Swede I subscribe to a VPN service giving me a Swedish IP, for other services. Streaming the game successfully through that connection now. https://www.anonine.com if anyone is interested, only a couple of EUR/month. But who knows, perhaps you will see blackouts for all games in Sweden soon ..
I already wrote 3 mails to their support.

Answer:

Quote:
Please go to www.whatismyip.com and send us your IP address and your address(location)., in order to assist you.
Thursday night I sent my IP and address to them, nothing has changed since.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Geki

I'm having trouble with the app on samsung devices (blu ray player in this case). The stupid app makes you "link" your account to the player *every* time you run it. Except when you try to link it, it says "this device is already linked". So you end up having to delete the app, download it and reinstall it, every time you want to watch a game.

Not only that but when it finally does play, I get this loading screen in the middle of the screen the entire time.

This is some serious incompetence here, how do they charge $160 for this?? It's like we're paying to be beta testers.

Also, no settings for your account, you can't tell what devices you have enabled and haven't, and forget about any type of support. It's amazing how little you get for your money here.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Barton
Rookie User

Well i live in the UK so maybe the email the NHL sent to me was only about my country.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:21 PM
timorous me

Hilarious--I finally gave in and decided to shell out the money for GameCenter Live, and when I've tried to register, it refuses to allow me to do so on the basis of my username already being taken. This is after I checked the availability of said username (and like a dozen others, none worked) and it said it was free.

Do you want my money or not, NHL??

Of course, after hearing about the automatic spoiler when watching the replay of a game, I'm not even sure how worth it this will be.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Hubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorous me View Post
Hilarious--I finally gave in and decided to shell out the money for GameCenter Live, and when I've tried to register, it refuses to allow me to do so on the basis of my username already being taken. This is after I checked the availability of said username (and like a dozen others, none worked) and it said it was free.

Do you want my money or not, NHL??

Of course, after hearing about the automatic spoiler when watching the replay of a game, I'm not even sure how worth it this will be.
Are you sure you haven't registered previously with a different username but the same email account? I had the same problem, until I realized I registered some years ago to vote for the all stars or something.

Old
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
timorous me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
Are you sure you haven't registered previously with a different username but the same email account? I had the same problem, until I realized I registered some years ago to vote for the all stars or something.
Wow. Thanks. I just tried that and it worked. I had to go down a list of a few email addresses, because I guess at some point I've used them all for something or other with the NHL. Makes absolutely no sense to me (also it might help if they mention this somewhere on the registration page).

All these things discussed above (plus this) really make me worry as to what I just put my money into. Good grief.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:01 PM
dabeechman

I too bought GC, but so far I am not happy with it at all. It keeps lagging, shuffling from SD to HD, or just completely losing the feed. I have a 30mb/s connection, so I am fairly disappointed.

Has anybody here tried HockeyStreams.com this season? Thinking about switching.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Darth Bangkok

I'm really pissed that HNIC is not on NHLN tonight. So that means I have to watch Hockey Tonight on NHLN, then find the first game on GCL. So I'll miss the opening montage for sure. Then I have to pray that they will bless me and let me watch the intermissions. But between games, I won't get to watch it because they can't get it through their heads that HNIC is one broadcast from 6.30 to 1.30 every Saturday.

Of course I sent an email already to try to cancel gcl but I doubt they read mine anymore. Calling the phone line is another horrible experience. I've been on hold for 15mns already. Not even sure they are 'open', but the message said they are for one hour before gametime. Who knows? And its wonderful how the hold radio highlights is 1,000 decibels higher than the volume of the menu messages.

I want to cancel because I'd rather not have expectations all day every day to watch something only to be disappointed at the last minute each time.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:02 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I too bought GC, but so far I am not happy with it at all. It keeps lagging, shuffling from SD to HD, or just completely losing the feed. I have a 30mb/s connection, so I am fairly disappointed.

Has anybody here tried HockeyStreams.com this season? Thinking about switching.
Not this season but used the free preview at the beginning of the year and it was rather underwhelming. Things might have changed though.

Closed Thread