HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers pick up two.

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Sled2300

vCash: 500
Rangers pick up two.

The Rangers have picked up defenseman Shawn Heins of the Atlanta Thrashers and right wing Jeff Heerema of the Carolina Hurricanes off waivers.

www.nhl.com

I thought the draft was Friday?

Old
09-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

what is this garabage? The draft is Friday and I certainly do not think NYR has the first waiver pick...

Old
09-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Hmmm, strange. Good pick-up in Heerema, though. He will be a good depth player, and Sather might unlock that upside that made him a first round pick in '98.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Hmmm, strange. Good pick-up in Heerema, though. He will be a good depth player, and Sather might unlock that upside that made him a first round pick in '98.
Always liked Heerema...thought he had a great combo of speed, scoring, and some sandpaper. Wanted the Avs to pick him up with one of their 4 '98 first rounders.

I thought for sure last season he was going to break-out in the NHL but it never happened and instead it was Ryan Bayda who had a bit of a coming out party.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him good...

Old
09-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
what is this garabage? The draft is Friday and I certainly do not think NYR has the first waiver pick...
thats what i thought

Old
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
The Rangers are #12 to pick in the waiver draft which doesn't commence until Friday so there's something more to it that the article doesn't state. Did the teams place them on waivers before the draft? If so, why would Atlanta waive someone they just signed? Was he awful? Curious.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Jacob

Hereema? I find it hard to believe a team like Nashville or Pittsburgh wouldn't pick him up.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:54 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled2300
The Rangers have picked up defenseman Shawn Heins of the Atlanta Thrashers and right wing Jeff Heerema of the Carolina Hurricanes off waivers.

www.nhl.com

I thought the draft was Friday?

These guys were put on the waiver wire, which is totally different than the waiver draft.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Also, if the Rangers snagged two on the wire, who did they expose after each move? Sounds like bull to me, even if it was reported on the NHL site.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Hereema? I find it hard to believe a team like Nashville or Pittsburgh wouldn't pick him up.
Especially at his salary, he's only scheduled to make $500,000 this season.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
gamblor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Also, if the Rangers snagged two on the wire, who did they expose after each move? Sounds like bull to me, even if it was reported on the NHL site.
The waiver draft is Friday. No need to expose anyone until then.

The real question is why would Atl and Carolina waive these contracts 3 days before the waiver draft? Presumably they must have been *really* desperate to get rid of these players.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
I am confused... The Rangers continue doing good acquisitons... This is weird...

Old
09-30-2003, 01:28 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattihp
I am confused... The Rangers continue doing good acquisitons... This is weird...
They always make good moves it just turns bad once these players play.

btw Rangers probably will unprotect players like Pavel Bure, Darius Kasparitus (6 mill per 3 years), Mark Messier (4 mill) etc.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I sure do hate losing Jeff Heerema. He took a while to round out into a nice 3rd line winger but thats exactly what he is now. He's posted two VERY strong seasons at Lowell for a pitiful team and he impressed me very much with his poise and his knack for chipping in a big goal. He has very soft hands around the net and is a natural goal scorer.

I wonder if this might have stalled negotions with Eric Staal though. It's not too smart to waive a guy's cousin whne you're trying to ink him to a deal.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The reason they waived Heerema also was because had they not gotten rid of a forward, they would have to leave Pavel Brendl exposed to the waiver draft and he would have almost assuredly been taken.

I just hope Brendl proves himself worthy of losing a player like Heerema.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:29 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
The reason they waived Heerema also was because had they not gotten rid of a forward, they would have to leave Pavel Brendl exposed to the waiver draft and he would have almost assuredly been taken.

that makes sense

Old
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor
The waiver draft is Friday. No need to expose anyone until then.

The real question is why would Atl and Carolina waive these contracts 3 days before the waiver draft? Presumably they must have been *really* desperate to get rid of these players.
Sounds like there's a deal in the works where the Rangers protect these 2 guys for Carolina and trade them back after the waiver draft. Unlike traded players before the waiver draft, waived players can be reacquired. There's got to be something going on. I can't believe it's a coincidence that both these players were claimed by the Rangers and they both went on waivers at this particular time. Carolina could have a post-waiver draft deal in the works with a 3rd team too.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

why not trade him for a pick...several teams should have been interested in his services...

Old
09-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:

Interesting thing about Heerema is he's exempt from the waiver draft, but eligible for regular season waivers. He could have been assigned to the AHL before the roster deadline and the waiver problem would only have come up if the Canes called him up and attempted to send him back down. I think there's some deals worked out that'll happen after the waiver draft.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Sounds like there's a deal in the works where the Rangers protect these 2 guys for Carolina and trade them back after the waiver draft. Unlike traded players before the waiver draft, waived players can be reacquired. There's got to be something going on. I can't believe it's a coincidence that both these players were claimed by the Rangers and they both went on waivers at this particular time. Carolina could have a post-waiver draft deal in the works with a 3rd team too.
your probably right.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I am so confused right now.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
he's a winger, no?

that said, there's more than adequate competion for the remaining wing spot, and when it comes down to it...i'd rather have Erat...or a callup of Upshall...than adding another guy. Nashville is looking for another d-man and a backup goalie, but they'll stay put until the waiver draft on friday.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:44 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I don't think that's the case. Rangers would have to unprotect one of their roster players. I can't see them doing that for another team. Also isn't there a rule preventing a player to be traded to their former team within 8 months or something?

Old
09-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Starsdude

JUst a bad move by a bad team. Let go over Teterenko ,Boulerice or Daniels ridiculous

Old
09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
NYR469

for those confused this has NOTHING to do with the waiver draft. you can put a guy on regular waivers at anytime and for the announcement to be made today then they had to have been waived on friday. why there teams would waive them instead of just exposing them in the waiver draft i have no idea, but this is the same as if they were waived during the season

Closed Thread