HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why would the Rangers trade for Cujo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 10:31 AM
#37-#93-#27*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Why would the Rangers trade for Cujo?

Why does everyone think the Rangers are going to give up on Dunham after one game this season and trade for an over priced goaltender who was on waivers a week ago.

http://www.nhl.com/lineups/player/8456137.html
<b>Rangers 02-03
19-17-5 record
5 shutouts
2.29 GAA
.924 Save%</b>

He had a +.500 record on a Ranger team last year that finished the season 7 games under .500. Sather traded a two good prospects and a very usefull player to get him. He was the one and only reason this team had a chance for the playoffs. Makes an affordable 3 mill/2 years. We have a more then capable backup who would likely be the first look if Dunham flopped. This team will not trade for Curtis Joseph no less give up value for him like a Lindros although many people believe he's worth nothing, well he's worth something to us despite him being a shell of his former self. He's in his contract year and makes our second line somewhat plausible.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:49 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

ive never seen the rangers wanting to trade for cujo. they really dont have a whole lot to gain from it. ide rather have dunham and the extra 6M.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Reign Nateo

They wouldn't/haven't/won't

Old
10-13-2003, 10:59 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
the bigger question is... why wouldn't they? they go after everyone else!

Old
10-13-2003, 11:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat
the bigger question is... why wouldn't they? they go after everyone else!

10-13-2003, 11:23 AM
txpd

Dunham is a middle of the pack goalie. Joseph particularly playing with a team that needs to be saved by thier goalie is a top of the pack goalie.
I guess it depends on what you expect from the Rangers. 5-3...5-0 isn't what MSG patrons were expecting. The Rangers are also used to having a goalie that you can win the cup with Dunham is not that. Joseph is that....or at least is close enough to fake it.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:24 AM
honestmoe77

Send a message via AIM to honestmoe77 Send a message via Yahoo to honestmoe77
If they didn't pick him up on waivers why bother now? Unless the Wings eat a major chunk of salary (which defeats the reason for the Wings moving him) no team will touch Cujo.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestmoe77
If they didn't pick him up on waivers why bother now? Unless the Wings eat a major chunk of salary (which defeats the reason for the Wings moving him) no team will touch Cujo.

Having a large chunk of salary is exactly why a tema may take Cujo now, but not have selected him in the waiver draft. And to do so, Detroit would not be defeating their own purpose since the reason to move Cujo is not simply a salary dump. It's to get something of value since they have a starter they're happier with. Minor point, really, but woth mentioning.

Still, I don't see the Rangers could have renewed interest (if they had any to begin with) this quickly into the season.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Why does everyone think the Rangers are going to give up on Dunham after one game this season and trade for an over priced goaltender who was on waivers a week ago.

http://www.nhl.com/lineups/player/8456137.html
<b>Rangers 02-03
19-17-5 record
5 shutouts
2.29 GAA
.924 Save%</b>

He had a +.500 record on a Ranger team last year that finished the season 7 games under .500. Sather traded a two good prospects and a very usefull player to get him. He was the one and only reason this team had a chance for the playoffs. Makes an affordable 3 mill/2 years. We have a more then capable backup who would likely be the first look if Dunham flopped. This team will not trade for Curtis Joseph no less give up value for him like a Lindros although many people believe he's worth nothing, well he's worth something to us despite him being a shell of his former self. He's in his contract year and makes our second line somewhat plausible.
Well, your logic is sound...but you're talking about Rangers management. Since when are they logical?

Old
10-13-2003, 11:41 AM
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
slats has lost his mind
he'll make any stupid move
getting dunham was the best move he ever made in NY
and he hates dunham, he thinks he has inconsistant play, when really the play of the team sucks
dunham is just wasting his potential playingthere
cujo is perfect for NY
a big ol' city of has beens

Old
10-13-2003, 11:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksheit
slats has lost his mind
and he hates dunham, he thinks he has inconsistant play, when really the play of the team sucks
cujo is perfect for NY

How do you know all this? Sather hates Dunham? Are you just making this up or can you substantiate it somehow?

Old
10-13-2003, 11:48 AM
jacksheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
How do you know all this? Sather hates Dunham? Are you just making this up or can you substantiate it somehow?
ok maybe not hates
but i keep reading hes super disapointed in his play
hence, the reason why there r all the cujo rumors. because slats isnt impressed

Old
10-13-2003, 11:49 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
slats has lost his mind
cujo is perfect for NY
you type like your avatar speaks

Old
10-13-2003, 11:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
ok maybe not hates
but i keep reading hes super disapointed in his play
hence, the reason why there r all the cujo rumors. because slats isnt impressed

Where did you read this? I read the New York papers every day and I've never seen that.

I'm guessing Sather is disappointed in the entire team right about now.

There have been rumors of Cujo going to the Rangers ever since Hasek came back to Detroit. That was during the summer. There is nothing that Dunham did last season (indeed he was the lone reason why the Rangers were still sniffing the playoffs as late as the 81 game of the season) that would give any reason for Sather to be disappointed. And Sather never intimated as such. The reason why the Rangers are always mentioned as a destination is because they are one of the few teams that could take on Cujo and the 16M he is still due on his contract.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:58 AM
jacksheit

SingnBluesOnBroadway:
i'm only telling u what i've read on tsn.ca, sportsnet.ca, hockeytraderumors.com, and spectors

Old
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
you type like your avatar speaks
hahaha
ya its true
in a stupid fan boy way i think me n him r alot alike
queit, smart, both play D.. but uh, he's like 6 inches taller.
freak'n, i wish i was taller.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
SingnBluesOnBroadway:
i'm only telling u what i've read on tsn.ca, sportsnet.ca, hockeytraderumors.com, and spectors
Interesting that news somehow has managed not to be reported on in New York.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
Interesting that news somehow has managed not to be reported on in New York.
ya thats a big shame eh
suck it up butter cup.
drop the attitude

Old
10-13-2003, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
ya thats a big shame eh
suck it up butter cup.
drop the attitude
Hmmm. Seemed to have struck a nerve.

Save Barnaby, Leetch, and Nedved, Dunham is the only member of the Rangers who could conceivably hold his head up at the end of last season. Not really sure what has transpired between then and now that has made Mike Dunham and what he brings to this team less than desirable.

So, why don't you show me up and provide some links to articles where Sather has voiced displeasure towards Dunham's performance.

Thanks kit-kat.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:27 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
Hmmm. Seemed to have struck a nerve.

Save Barnaby, Leetch, and Nedved, Dunham is the only member of the Rangers who could conceivably hold his head up at the end of last season. Not really sure what has transpired between then and now that has made Mike Dunham and what he brings to this team less than desirable.

So, why don't you show me up and provide some links to articles where Sather has voiced displeasure towards Dunham's performance.

Thanks kit-kat.
i hate the rangers, why would i save links?
if u reread through spectors trade rumors, he says that slats is disaponinted in dunham
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html
it should b sum where in the archives

Old
10-13-2003, 12:29 PM
andora

surely you aren't referring to this

OCTOBER 1, 2003.

THE COYOTES GOALIE DILEMMA.

ARIZONA REPUBLIC: Bob McManaman reports the Phoenix Coyotes won't expose goaltender Sean Burke in Friday's waiver draft, but they won't say if Brian Boucher or Zak Bierk will be. Bierk believes he might be, given his limited NHL experience, while Boucher believes it'll be him, based on his salary and the poor market for starting goalies right now. Burke believes all three will stay with the club and that he'll probably be dealt at the March trade deadline, if not sooner. McManaman speculates the Colorado Avalanche or NY Rangers might be interested in Burke, citing the Avs loss of Patrick Roy to retirement and Mike Dunham's "inconsistent" play for the Rangers.

Spector's Note: I don't doubt the Avs could make a pitch for Burke if Aebischer and Sauve are unable to get the job done, but I doubt the Rangers will. Dunham may have been "inconsistent" during the pre-season, but he shone between the pipes last season for the Blueshirts. I don't put much stock in a player's pre-season performance, it's how they do in the regular season!

Old
10-13-2003, 12:37 PM
jacksheit

andora's box:
not exactly, u hafta search for a cujo rumor months back
but it does point outthere were questions aboot his play. and that there was a chance he could b moved

Old
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
i hate the rangers, why would i save links?
if u reread through spectors trade rumors, he says that slats is disaponinted in dunham
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html
it should b sum where in the archives
No, no, no. I'm well aware that there were rumors linking Cujo to the Rangers (and then subsequently the Rangers were going to trade Dunham for Rolston or Samsonov - like that was going to happen).

I want you to show me where Glen Sather has come out and said, "I'm disappointed with how Mike Dunham has played."

Old
10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
andora

???

SEPTEMBER 18, 2003.

DUNHAM IS THE RANGERS MAIN MAN.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS: John Dellapina reports goaltender Mike Dunham is getting prepared to begin his first full season with the Rangers as their starting goaltender. His performance last season so impressed the Blueshirts management that they "demurred" on an opportunity to land De Curtis Joseph from the Detroit Red Wings. Dellapina claims no one in the Rangers front office believes "CuJo" would be an upgrade over Dunham, plus it wouldn't make sense to take on his huge contract.

Spector's Note: I know that. Rangers fans know that. The New York media knows that.Knowledgeable hockey fans know that. Now try to convince the rumourmongers in Detroit and Toronto ...

RANGERS SEEKING A GOALIE.

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports NY Rangers GM Glen Sather is on the lookout for a goaltender following "a peripheral nerve injury" in the left rotator cuff" that he sustained in last month's prospect's camp. He could miss the first month of the AHL season, and the Blueshirts had hoped for Blackburn to get in 60 games with their farm club this season. Brooks reports Sather isn't in any rush as he could find a replacement in the October 3rd waiver draft.

Spector's Note: Already there's some speculation (not in the NY press) the Rangers will pursue Curtis Joseph or Sean Burke and push Mike Dunham into the backup role. Don't believe it. Dunham is the Rangers main man going into the season.

.. :p.. help me out

Old
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
I want you to show me where Glen Sather has come out and said, "I'm disappointed with how Mike Dunham has played."
ah crap, u know what i misplaced my book of slats quotes. damn where'd i put it
o wait is this one of his quotes "the rangers will make the playoffs this year".. o wait no thats the wrong one.
look i have for in 30 minutes
Go find it for urself. it was "leaked' that glen wanst happy with his play, what kinda stupid gm thats trying to trade his #1 goalie would come out and say "ooo that mike dunham.. oo he sucks ballz."....."so who wantsto talk a trade for my pro-star dunham"

Closed Thread