HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could we see a return to 80's drafting?

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Could we see a return to 80's drafting?

By that I mean: Could we eventually see a return to the days when Russian and Euro players were rarely drafted because the chances of them coming over here weren't good?

I posted something similar to this in the prospects thread, then today I read this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=57975

Is there too much being made of this, i.e. it's just an NHLPA bargaining ploy as they look for whatever leverage they can find...or is there a real possibility that an uncertain CBA future where rookie contracts will likely be the concession given out by the NHLPA (just like last time in '94) combined with sweeter compensation in places like the Russian Superleague, that teams might find it quite difficult to get ANY young Euros/Russians to find a reason to go to N. America for only slightly more $$ than what they could make playing in their own backyard.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:01 PM
HOZ

Quote:
By that I mean: Could we eventually see a return to the days when Russian and Euro players were rarely drafted because the chances of them coming over here weren't good?
Aaahhh Good. I thought you were meaning that we'd be drafting Lyle Odelien's Grandchild to make up for drafting his brother. Or sensing our scouting to Mexico.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Aaahhh Good. I thought you were meaning that we'd be drafting Lyle Odelien's Grandchild to make up for drafting his brother. Or sensing our scouting to Mexico.
it is because it is

I personaly hope that it doesn't come to the point where we have two watered down leagues instead of one good one! Perhaps what we may see happen in the future is have an international league. the Elite and Super leagues still intact, Canadian and American leagues form. Then there could be some year end playoffs were all the leagues send forth there best team. I dunno - I hope it doesn't come to that.

Closed Thread