Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan update

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 08:43 PM
theo6060

vCash: 500
Patrick O'Sullivan update

Tonight I saw the Majors host the Ice Dogs. Yes, O'Sullivan did score a goal. He looked pretty good on the offensive end, always looking to make the breakaway pass or receive the breakaway pass.

His goal came on the powerplay. He was standing by the right face off circle, only a little bit farther back near the boards (St. Mike's arena is small so it's not that far from the net). He got a pass from the left defenseman and he one-timed a slapshot far side about a foot off the ice. The puck went in off the post. It was a very nice accurate shot.

Majors beat Ice Dogs 5-2 by the way. O'Sullivan saw some PK time which kind of surprised me since he looks pretty disinterested in his own end. The first Majors goal he was caught chasing after the player with the puck instead of staying in front with the open man.

He also had a few theatrics. He slashed one of the Major players and when he got hit back he actually jumped. No call was made on the play, he could have easily gotten called for diving. And that's pretty well it from O'Sullivan tonight. Good game, and it seems to me like he definately can benefit from playing in the OHL this year.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Qubax

Hmm thanks for the update....

Does he look like he's the best player on the ice...?

Is he DOug Weight with an attitude problem...?

I'm just curious to what you saw first hand from the kid interms of his playing style....

I think it's to bad the kid is playing drama queen on the ice and I hope he gets help so that he doesn't become a problem in the NHL...

The kid has world class skills....DId you see that...?

Do his teamates from what you see support him...?

I have heard that his behavious in the past has sent some pretty bad waves through his teamates responses towards him...Thanks for the update regardless....and if you see him again do tell us more then....

Old
11-06-2003, 08:53 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
Hmm thanks for the update....

Does he look like he's the best player on the ice...?
Honestly, he didn't stand out as the best player. One of the better players for sure, but he definately didn't come out as "the best player on the ice."

Quote:
Is he DOug Weight with an attitude problem...?
Couldn't tell you. He did seem a little passive out there while playing at times and didn't really hussle his hardest. His set up skills probably won't reflect those of Doug Weight in the future.

Quote:
I'm just curious to what you saw first hand from the kid interms of his playing style....
In terms of playing style, he's definately offensive minded like everyone knows. He's always looking to make the breakaway pass and defensively seemed to watch the puck a little more than try to stay with his man (which caused the first goal). I'd like to see a little more determination to make plays from him. If he had the kind of hussle that Zach Parise has then he could be leading the OHL in scoring easily. He's currently in 8th in scoring (16GP 11G 11A).

Quote:
I think it's to bad the kid is playing drama queen on the ice and I hope he gets help so that he doesn't become a problem in the NHL...
There are plenty of guys in the OHL that do that kind of stuff though. I wouldn't be worried. Granted it was just one game and he did do it that one time I saw him play so I wouldn't be able to give an impression for an entire season or future. Matt Stajan did a lot more of that in the OHL last year in the playoffs. I don't follow the leafs but I'm sure he's atleast tried cutting part of that out of his game to make it.

Quote:
The kid has world class skills....DId you see that...?
He didn't really have great speed, or atleast didn't show that. His offensive instincts were definately above the rest though. Great shot and has the ability to find the open man.

Quote:
Do his teamates from what you see support him...?
No idea.

Quote:
I have heard that his behavious in the past has sent some pretty bad waves through his teamates responses towards him...Thanks for the update regardless....and if you see him again do tell us more then....
I'll definately give another update if I see the IceDogs come back to play the Majors.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
bromeo76

I have seen o'sullivan 3 times this year and he has looked sharpe, put the puck in the for 2 goals in guelph, 1 against kitchener , and 3 against london.... he was also accountable defensivley, looked to have a jump to his stride, like he was hungry for the puck....

give this article a read..... maybe he's learning.....

http://www.mississauga.com/mi/icedog...-1744298c.html

Old
11-11-2003, 06:37 PM
bromeo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromeo76
I have seen o'sullivan 3 times this year and he has looked sharpe, put the puck in the for 2 goals in guelph, 1 against kitchener , and 3 against london.... he was also accountable defensivley, looked to have a jump to his stride, like he was hungry for the puck....

give this article a read..... maybe he's learning.....

http://www.mississauga.com/mi/icedog...-1744298c.html

oh, and too add to that, he overshadowed Mike Richards, and Schremp and Corey Perry in the times that i saw him..... just my opinion

Old
11-11-2003, 07:38 PM
ceber

I sure hope he works out. It'd make a nice story, sure, but I still feel we could use some more guys with that offensive touch.

Old
11-15-2003, 02:56 PM
William H Bonney

O'Sullivan is leading the OHL in goals scored with 17 now.

11-23-2003, 12:04 PM
pilotguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey
O'Sullivan is leading the OHL in goals scored with 17 now.
I noticed he wasn't in the Ice Dogs' lineup this weekend. Anyone have any news about this?

Old
11-23-2003, 02:05 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
He and a couple other guys were suspended for 2 games.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
He and a couple other guys were suspended for 2 games.
Why?

Old
11-24-2003, 07:45 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I'm just a messenger, I don't know why.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Thrasherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
Tonight I saw the Majors host the Ice Dogs. Yes, O'Sullivan did score a goal. He looked pretty good on the offensive end, always looking to make the breakaway pass or receive the breakaway pass.

His goal came on the powerplay. He was standing by the right face off circle, only a little bit farther back near the boards (St. Mike's arena is small so it's not that far from the net). He got a pass from the left defenseman and he one-timed a slapshot far side about a foot off the ice. The puck went in off the post. It was a very nice accurate shot.

Majors beat Ice Dogs 5-2 by the way. O'Sullivan saw some PK time which kind of surprised me since he looks pretty disinterested in his own end. The first Majors goal he was caught chasing after the player with the puck instead of staying in front with the open man.

He also had a few theatrics. He slashed one of the Major players and when he got hit back he actually jumped. No call was made on the play, he could have easily gotten called for diving. And that's pretty well it from O'Sullivan tonight. Good game, and it seems to me like he definately can benefit from playing in the OHL this year.
What's the story on this guy? I've heard that he's had all sorts of "personal" problems, but what are the details?

Old
12-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Dan-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherfan
What's the story on this guy? I've heard that he's had all sorts of "personal" problems, but what are the details?
It's been discussed pretty regularly, but the short story is that his father was a failed hockey player that decided to live through his son. Physically, mentally and verbally abusive. Screamed at his son constantly and in front of teammates, beat him up in front of family members, etc. O'Sullivan has a restraining order against his dad now, but pops still doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Sad really.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
It's been discussed pretty regularly, but the short story is that his father was a failed hockey player that decided to live through his son. Physically, mentally and verbally abusive. Screamed at his son constantly and in front of teammates, beat him up in front of family members, etc. O'Sullivan has a restraining order against his dad now, but pops still doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Sad really.
Fact.

John O'Sullivan =

Old
12-01-2003, 09:47 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Patrick scored again over the weekend...He now has 21 goals in 23 games. That leads the OHL as far as goals scored...

Old
12-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Qubax

IN fact O'Sullivan has 7 points in his last two games...the lat two days, Nov 29, and NOv 30th.....
Go Sully

Old
12-01-2003, 10:33 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
IN fact O'Sullivan has 7 points in his last two games...the lat two days, Nov 29, and NOv 30th.....
Go Sully

Hopefully all of his problems with his father are in his past and he can come to the Wild next year and be the sniper that Wild fans think he can be...

Old
12-01-2003, 05:54 PM
JaymzB

I have seen the Ice Dogs play six times this year. In all but one game, he was the best player on the ice...bar none. When ever he gets the puck, it just seems like something happens. I will give my best overall talent analysis:

Skating: He is a very good skater. Maybe not quite world class, but he does have great agility, and very, very good acceleration. Easily outclasses most OHL'ers.

Passing: Very good passer, but it definatley is not his first thought. Best description I can think of is he has a goal scorers mentality. This could also be due to the fact that the players he plays with a just not up to his level. Still, he is a goal scorer first.

Shot: Probaly his best asset. Has a very hard and accurate shot, but the best part of it is his shot is his lightning quick release. Many of his goals that I have seen are from one timers.

Overall offensive Vision: Again, this is an aspect where he shines. Sees the ice very well, and has a very good nack for finding open ice in prime scoring positions. Again, his vision hinders his passing game somewhat because pretty much all his teammates do not think the game at his level.

Defensive game: As with many junior scorers, he does not pay as much attention to this as he should. When he focuses his attention to it (which is rare), he call play solid postional defense, but he is usually looking for opportunities to intersept a pass rather than playing his man. One good asspect is he is very rarely the last man back, as he does use his speed to get back into the defensive zone.

Physical Play: Usually shies away from the corners, and most of his physical play involves the use of his stick. Can become hot headed at times, and as a result, can be drawn into a lot of bad penalties. Usually does not initiate any physical play, and only seems to lay the body at all, if the ref/linesman is close by.

Overall: As you can tell from my post, I really feel this kid has poetential. Could become a very good NHL'er (reminds me of Mike Comrie) but must show more passion for the game...not just scoring goals.

That is just my opinion...

Old
12-01-2003, 06:25 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB
Overall: As you can tell from my post, I really feel this kid has poetential. Could become a very good NHL'er (reminds me of Mike Comrie) but must show more passion for the game...not just scoring goals.

That is just my opinion...
Couldn't agree more. In the one game I saw him play, he just seemed to be passive part of the time. If he had the passion and heart of a guy like Zach Parise (I know I've said it before) then he would be so much better.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Its hard to have passion when you are one of the best players out there. Few players in a any sport can work hard all the time, every sec of every play. Hockey is different because you only play a part of the time. but look at Montana, Jordan, dont like the guy but Favre, Pedro Martinez, Ali etc.. when it is the fourth quater, ninth inning, final seconds those guys came up huge. no matter what they did in the entire game. So is O'Sullivan a crunch player or does he coast the whole game? Thats all i would worry about at this stage in his life. he is just a kid. If he turns it up late he will learn that in th NHL there is no time to coast. Wasn't Modano the same way? And looked how he turned out.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:33 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
[QUOTE=MN_Gopher]Its hard to have passion when you are one of the best players out there. QUOTE]
Im not sure I understood this statement correctly. Top players ususally lack passion?

Old
12-02-2003, 10:43 AM
theo6060

Well consider this, last year he left the team early in the season because of those "issues" and still was 15th in OHL scoring. He had 81 points in only 56 games. The last month of the regular season he really turned it on. I don't know how many points or anything, but he turned it on big time to get Mississauga into the playoffs.

For recent information, he leads the OHL in goals and is tied for 8th in points. 37 points (21 goals, 16 assists) in 23 games. He was also named the OHL Player of the Week.

OHL Player of the Week: http://www.chl.ca/OHLNews0304/1201.html

OHL Stats page: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...21&lastActive=

Old
12-02-2003, 10:51 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Well that's nice to see he got player of the week. Those are some damn nice numbers...8 points in 3 games!

Old
12-02-2003, 04:28 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Top players have passion when they have to have it. A lot of amaturs have a lack of passion because thay are so good. Ala Randy Moss fell to the 20's overall in the draft no heart, to many probs.. Michael Jordan 3rd overall poor defense flashy scorer not a team player= 6 championships, Mike Piazza 62 round not all that good drafted behind a girl. And i could go on. All good profesional players have passion or a drive you need that at that level. My point is that not all players who have passion had it when they were learning the game, and right now Patrick is learning the game. If you judge good players by passion look at the lakers in the NBA, all they to do is get in the play offs then they turn it up. 3 titles in the last four years. Shaq, Kobe are good players and yes they passion at times. If O'Sullivan is the Shaq in the playoffs, Reggie in October Tiger on the fourth day , Ali in the final round, Kobe(without all the legal stuff) of the NHL i will be OK with his passion level.

Old
12-03-2003, 03:27 PM
JaymzB

Maybe passion was not the right word to use there.

What I ment is that like most talented juniors players, he shows MUCH more intrest in scoring goals than all other aspects of the game. Maybe I am being hard on him, since he is only 19, but he really does not like to go into the corners, or play anything of a physical game (other than using his stick). I wish this kid all the best, and he really is a treat to watch.

Closed Thread