HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hit on Martinek tonite

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Kvashinator12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Hit on Martinek tonite

was absolutely disgraceful and disgusting...Martinek put himself in that positiong, but tootoo went high, and was 6 inches off the ice when he made the hit...I love how the refs didnt' see it, and aaron asham ends up in the penalty box after that...I respect big hits,but this was dirty cheap shot, intending to hurt someone...I thought the league ws trying to cut down on blows to the head.;

Old
11-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

dammit, this has been beaten into the ground...if the refs miss it, the refs miss it...maybe the league does something about how about your boy Snow!, biggest dammed cheater in the league...got leg pads?

Old
11-15-2003, 07:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
god dammit, this has been beaten into the ground...if the refs miss it, the refs miss it...maybe the league does something about how about your boy Snow!, biggest god dammed cheater in the league...got leg pads?
Clean it up there 7NA.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:01 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
was absolutely disgraceful and disgusting...Martinek put himself in that positiong, but tootoo went high, and was 6 inches off the ice when he made the hit...I love how the refs didnt' see it, and aaron asham ends up in the penalty box after that...I respect big hits,but this was dirty cheap shot, intending to hurt someone...I thought the league ws trying to cut down on blows to the head.;
It was illegal; it was a charge, but it wasn't intent to injure anymore so than your average hit. It was a blow to the head and we'll leave it up to the league to punish. Asham went to the box because of a cross check, which he did. Tootoo should have gone for charging, though the aftereffects of the impact make it look worse than it was. It was a missed call in a game full of missed calls. Unfortunately, Martinek was hurt. Luckily, no Preds were hurt by the flying Elbows of the North.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
It was illegal; it was a charge, but it wasn't intent to injure anymore so than your average hit. It was a blow to the head and we'll leave it up to the league to punish. Asham went to the box because of a cross check, which he did. Tootoo should have gone for charging, though the aftereffects of the impact make it look worse than it was. It was a missed call in a game full of missed calls. Unfortunately, Martinek was hurt. Luckily, no Preds were hurt by the flying Elbows of the North.
Smokey, our fearless leader

Old
11-15-2003, 09:12 PM
dulzhok

Well, by NHL standards, Tootoo's hit was probably illegal. IMO, "leaving the feet" should only be called if the player hits high on another player (i.e. Hatcher on Modano a couple years ago). In Tootoo's case, for him to give a shoulder to shouler hit (which the Martenik hit was), he has to leave his feet a couple of inches.

BUT, the Islander's have no room to be complaining about "dirty play." Aucion's two hand chop to the nashville player (didn't see who) was about is dirty as it gets. And he only got 2 minutes? Should've been a game misconduct.

Lastly, Chetawsky's (or however you spell his name) breakaway goal was two line pass. The Islander's got there fair share of calls.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:27 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Tootoo never hits fair, thought we knew that by now.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Tootoo never hits fair.
Wrong.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:39 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think they called the tootoo charging penalty once during the WJC when I seen him leave his feet over 7 times. I love Tootoo as a player though and leaving your feet should never be a suspension, a penalty at most.
Agreed. I just saw the replay, he was like 2 feet in the air. Not sure why they don't crack down on him when they call Cooke for charging every time he does, same with Steve Webb.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:40 PM
VO #23

Anywhere on the net that you can see the hit? I have watched Tootoo probably upwards of 50 times in the last four years and have seen him lay some beauties.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Well, by NHL standards, Tootoo's hit was probably illegal.
Probably illegal??? I'd say it was damn-straight illegal. You can't leave your feet to hit. Plain and simple. Dirty, dirty, dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
BUT, the Islander's have no room to be complaining about "dirty play." Aucion's two hand chop to the nashville player (didn't see who) was about is dirty as it gets. And he only got 2 minutes? Should've been a game misconduct.
Aucoin slashed the Nashville guy because he wouldn't let go of his stick. Aucoin tried getting it out of his hand three times right in front of the ref, who again was blind to the call, so Aucoin had to take in his own hands, which the refs then decided to open their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulkhok
Lastly, Chetawsky's (or however you spell his name) breakaway goal was two line pass. The Islander's got there fair share of calls.
It's Czerkawski, and if you want to think it was two-lines than, you should think that...

~TL

Old
11-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Tom Liodice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
dammit, this has been beaten into the ground...if the refs miss it, the refs miss it...maybe the league does something about how about your boy Snow!, biggest dammed cheater in the league...got leg pads?
Snow's pads have been checked by Kris King have been deemed legal.

~TL

Old
11-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Tom Liodice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Refs always suck when you lose, you always notice the things they miss during a game. Suck it up, there is nothing whining on here is going to do for you.
I'm not trying to whine. I'm just trying to prove an argument. I'll be the first one to admit that the Islanders were absolutely horrible tonight. I completely understand that referees are to miss calls, but basically referees are to set precedents for every game. And the Tootoo hit basically destroyed any precedent that they were trying to set. I'm all for big hits, as long as they are fair and legal, and Tootoo's hit was far from legal.

~TL

Old
11-15-2003, 09:54 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Tootoo never hits fair, thought we knew that by now.
What are you watching? He's an aggressive player who for the most part is a clean hitter.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:56 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Steve Webb.
Hey hey hey...there's nothing wrong with Steve Webb. He destroyed Leaf players a couple seasons ago in the Playoffs, it was a treat to watch.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
You can't leave your feet to hit. Plain and simple. Dirty, dirty, dirty.
Like I said, by NHL standards, the hit was illegal. But in reality, Tootoo's hit wasn't dirty. He's just leveling the playing feild. He's short. When he hits people, he hits them in ths stomach. He was just going for shoulder-to-shoulder, clean hit. The "leaving the feet" part is so people won't hit high. Tootoo hit shoulder-to-shoulder.

Quote:
Aucoin slashed the Nashville guy because he wouldn't let go of his stick. Aucoin tried getting it out of his hand three times right in front of the ref, who again was blind to the call, so Aucoin had to take in his own hands, which the refs then decided to open their eyes.
Wah. I didn't see the so called stick-holding, but even if, that is absolutely NO exuse to to take a 2 handed slash at the player when they are laying on the ice. By far, the most dirty play of the game.

Quote:
It's Czerkawski, and if you want to think it was two-lines than, you should think that...
i will think that. I and I will be absolutely right. IF that pass was on side (a big IF), Czerkawski had already passed the line when he recieved the puck, making it a two-line pass.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Tootoo's hit was illegal, and it was missed. However, respectfully, terming the hit "disgraceful" and "disgusting" is a bit over the top.

Personally, I think it really is being overblown. Not long ago, it would have been a perfectly clean hit. Only in recent years was skates leaving the ice surface deemed a penalty.

This board should be renamed the "Complain About a Hit Against My Team" board. :p

Old
11-16-2003, 12:04 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
that hit was pretty devistating.
when i saw it in full speed motion my jaw dropped to the floor.

Old
11-16-2003, 01:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Tootoo's hit was illegal, and it was missed. However, respectfully, terming the hit "disgraceful" and "disgusting" is a bit over the top.

Personally, I think it really is being overblown. Not long ago, it would have been a perfectly clean hit. Only in recent years was skates leaving the ice surface deemed a penalty.

This board should be renamed the "Complain About a Hit Against My Team" board. :p
Thank you.

What should be illegal is skating behind the net with your head down.

Old
11-16-2003, 01:15 AM
evman150*

Anybody have a link to video of the hit?

Old
11-16-2003, 01:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Anybody have a link to video of the hit?
Sure .

Watch the hit, Tootoo does not leave his feet, if you pause it at 40 seconds you see where Tootoo is making contact with his skates on the ice, his skates don't leave the ice until he falls over the guy.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Blane Youngblood

I've been bashing Nashville for quite a while now, but by NHL standards there really wasn't all that much wrong with that hit. Jordin better be ready to fight all comers next game against them though, and I don't mean make someone take an instagator against him, I mean he should be willing to drop the gloves with Eric Cairns if he wants to go (I know there's a weight class different but if you hurt a guy with an illegal hit you owe a fight, with anyone). That's about all that should be done on this one though.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Kvashinator12

Wow

[QUOTE=dulzhok]Like I said, by NHL standards, the hit was illegal. But in reality, Tootoo's hit wasn't dirty. He's just leveling the playing feild. He's short. When he hits people, he hits them in ths stomach. He was just going for shoulder-to-shoulder, clean hit. The "leaving the feet" part is so people won't hit high. Tootoo hit shoulder-to-shoulder.
QUOTE]

No offense this is close to the most ridiculous reasoning i have seen for this hit. "Leveling the playing field" So if he gets hit by a big defenseman and gets elbowed in the head, that shouldnt be a penalty by your standards because he is short, and shouldnt have to crouch to accomodate him.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin
I've been bashing Nashville for quite a while now, but by NHL standards there really wasn't all that much wrong with that hit. Jordin better be ready to fight all comers next game against them though, and I don't mean make someone take an instagator against him, I mean he should be willing to drop the gloves with Eric Cairns if he wants to go (I know there's a weight class different but if you hurt a guy with an illegal hit you owe a fight, with anyone). That's about all that should be done on this one though.
How can you say by NHL standards it was legal, then say he should fight Cairns because he hurt someone with an illegal hit. Besides, if he should have to go with someone it should be the guy he leveled, we have guys that can go toe to toe with Cairns and Godard, we proved that too.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:55 AM
Kvashinator12

I dont

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
How can you say by NHL standards it was legal, then say he should fight Cairns because he hurt someone with an illegal hit. Besides, if he should have to go with someone it should be the guy he leveled, we have guys that can go toe to toe with Cairns and Godard, we proved that too.

think tootoo having to fight cairns or godard is the answer to anything...It was a dirty that's it...Sure i can see someone taking a run at him, but to have an enforcer go after him is a little too much...Maybe Asham that would be fine, but godard or cairns no....

Closed Thread